Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 02:14 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times

Advertisements

Wow. Thank you for the genius insight that music tastes change. In the 70's, maybe instead of playing the ramones, they should have just kept going with Sinatra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 03:40 PM

499 posts, read 793,971 times
Why is the OP so concerned with where others live and what they to do with their lives?

Is it so hard to understand that people are different and yearn for different things? If you're supposedly so happy in Virginia country, go find some wood to chop and live your life.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:47 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Believe it or not, for some people there's more to life than sports and rock-and-roll. Some people come because it's the center for book and magazine publishing. Some people come here for the museums and art galleries. Some people come for the classical music and opera. Some people come for high finance.

And all cities change.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:37 PM

475 posts, read 852,983 times
First of all my wood has already been chopped for the year. Secondly I'm not a NYC hater, all places have it's good and bad, from NY to Fla. to Ga to Ca. I was sharing my point of view from back when I remember New York. My post wasn't hateful, that's why I said it was a humorous post.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:49 PM

571 posts, read 790,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
I like the Ramones and CBGB's. I like the old Yankee Stadium. Nobody likes people getting killed or raped but my point was NYC's character has changed over the years and some of the best things are now gone. NYC has a very good music culture and the classics of the Ramones and CBGB's were staples. There was more history in the old Yankee Stadium then what will be in the new. Fenway Park. the green monster, will always have that legacy cause they didn't build a new stadium.

Do we not hold a historic value to anything? And I'm sorry to say but some people who write on this forum who wish to come to NYC with no job, no money, or no education or skill is just plain crazy.
I've got news for you, nobody went to CBGB in it's heyday other than the bands that played there and a handful of drunks. The Ramones couldn't have received less support by music fans in NYC in the 70's and 80's.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:55 PM

475 posts, read 852,983 times
The place was a dump but some of the creativity that came out of there was amazing. All though I guess it was more pop punk then actual hardcore punk like over in England and such. Country Blue Grass Blues!

Old 02-02-2014, 08:29 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
True, people who move to NYC with $7 in their pocket are crazy! However, it's crazy to wish for old, dirty, dangerous NYC. If it makes you feel any better, the city has become dirtier by the day since Guiliani left office. Walking through the city, you have to hop-scotch down the sidewalk if you want to avoid garbage, phlegm-filled spit, animal and human feces all over the place. To top it off crime is still very prevalent. Open the daily paper and there is always at least one or more murders mentioned and a sketch or surveillance photo of a suspect wanted for rape or attempted rape of a woman or girl the day before. It's horrible.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:37 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
smh hollywood tried to clown old school ny with
that seinfeld commercial during the superbowl.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:41 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
He has a point. NYC is kind of corny now. The city itself has lost a lot of character. Only thing keeping that character alive are some of the people but they are going to croak or leave eventually.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:48 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
I remember back the 80s when I traveled out of NYC....people from other states asked me if muggings is a regular thing in the subway and raping is the norm in central park.

I still have a few few olders folks who are scared of taking the nyc subways today. I tell them I am scared of taking nyc cabs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City