Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 09:03 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

All I can say is welcome to NYC, the reason why long time NYers all leave because in the long run everyone can use peace and quiet. You won't find that living in NYC. I used to wake up tired because all the noise in the city eventually wears you down. That's why I no longer live in NYC, in the long run it's not good for the health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 07:08 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
I did buy some noise canceling headphones, they didn't do much. Also, there wasn't any noise coming from there before, as I aforementioned (this was confirmed by my downstairs neighbor), so if they changed something (which they must have, as again, this noise didn't occur before), it's their responsibility to fix it.

they are not going to do anything, trust me on this.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:16 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
It's a city - it's hard to find peace and quiet when living in a building. As sympathetic as I'll try to be toward this topic - even my upstairs neighbor makes noise sometimes late at night. I have kids, they make noise. My next door neighbor makes noise. We all make some type of noise - sometimes it just cannot be avoided. If absolute quiet is a necessity, the suburbs can provide that. In Manhattan it's near impossible.

Unfortunately, in your situation, your options are extremely limited, furthermore because you do not own the apartment and you are a renter:

-move (need $$$)
-hire a lawyer (need $$$)
-install soundproofing (you do not own the apt so you need the ok)
-talk to the business (you've already done this)

And that's pretty much your options.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-03-2014, 08:41 AM

118 posts, read 201,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It's a city - it's hard to find peace and quiet when living in a building. As sympathetic as I'll try to be toward this topic - even my upstairs neighbor makes noise sometimes late at night. I have kids, they make noise. My next door neighbor makes noise. We all make some type of noise - sometimes it just cannot be avoided. If absolute quiet is a necessity, the suburbs can provide that. In Manhattan it's near impossible.

Unfortunately, in your situation, your options are extremely limited, furthermore because you do not own the apartment and you are a renter:

-move (need $$$)
-hire a lawyer (need $$$)
-install soundproofing (you do not own the apt so you need the ok)
-talk to the business (you've already done this)

And that's pretty much your options.
Clearly, I have other options: contact 311, every day if need be, speak with the downstairs neighbors and get them to back me up. Have the building management contact the other buildings owner, I'll or the building management can contact the city and state authorities due to business noise violations. Again, this isn't the case of a little occasional noise. This is everyday, mon - sat of a business making a constant noise when previously they didn't.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:50 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
image,

From what you first posted I got the impression that you shared only a diagonal LINE with the dry cleaner. If that is indeed the case, you would be wasting money trying to insulate any of your walls since you are getting sound transmission through the concrete floor slab.
Is there any likelihood that your floor continues as the dry cleaner's ceiling? Are you both in the same building???

But if:
Quote:

and one of my walls is next to the other building that houses a dry cleaners
on the first floor
That implies that the sound is penetrating TWO layers of masonry with no common floor/ceiling. That is WEIRD that you would hear ironing machines.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
image,

From what you first posted I got the impression that you shared only a diagonal LINE with the dry cleaner. If that is indeed the case, you would be wasting money trying to insulate any of your walls since you are getting sound transmission through the concrete floor slab.
Is there any likelihood that your floor continues as the dry cleaner's ceiling? Are you both in the same building???

But if:

That implies that the sound is penetrating TWO layers of masonry with no common floor/ceiling. That is WEIRD that you would hear ironing machines.
No, we aren't in the same building, it's the building next door. And yes, as far as I know, there are two brick walls between us (I could be wrong, and there might be less than two). As I mentioned, the noise can also be heard in the first floor. As I mentioned previously, the noise recently started, so clearly something changed...

Old 02-03-2014, 10:48 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS View Post
Clearly, I have other options: contact 311, every day if need be, speak with the downstairs neighbors and get them to back me up. Have the building management contact the other buildings owner, I'll or the building management can contact the city and state authorities due to business noise violations. Again, this isn't the case of a little occasional noise. This is everyday, mon - sat of a business making a constant noise when previously they didn't.
Noise Codes & Complaints

Let us know what happens.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-03-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Noise Codes & Complaints

Let us know what happens.
Will do. Hopefully an equitable solution can be found, if not, the management company + landlord will have to exert other pressures and / or solutions.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:26 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
This sounds like exactly the type of problem that the city might look into. I can't remember if it's the Department of Environmental Protection, or what, but there is some city department that deals specifically with regular mechanical noise coming from a business. In other words, they won't deal with a barking dog, but they will look into rackety machines. So try to track them down.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
This sounds like exactly the type of problem that the city might look into. I can't remember if it's the Department of Environmental Protection, or what, but there is some city department that deals specifically with regular mechanical noise coming from a business. In other words, they won't deal with a barking dog, but they will look into rackety machines. So try to track them down.
Awesome, thank you!

I don't complain for the sake of complaining (for example as I type this, my next door neighbor is being rather loud on the phone, but I'm not going to say anything as it's a rare occurrence), but this is interfering with my work and daily stress level and if they weren't doing this noise before, surely they have a way of fixing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City