Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 05:34 PM

9 posts, read 10,789 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

A character of mine lives in NYC - at least for now he does, in my head. Unfortunately I don't have the cash to come there for research and while this is really only for-fun writing, details do matter.

I'm wanting to know if anyone here can help me with locale for his dwelling. This character is ah... well, he would want and need privacy. He claims to be a freelance architectural consultant, so I would think he'd have little problem with insider information on say, an abandoned warehouse/factory for sale. Between that freelance connection and his own money, he would definitely be able to rehab the place. I'm thinking something maybe 4/5 stories if that makes a difference as to where it would be. Also, well I mean who wouldn't want a view? I'm not thinking it has to be of the traditional omg NYC skyline you know? But something noteworthy anyhow. He doesn't want to be looking into the back of a Denny's. I was thinking something isolated, by the river somewhere, by the port? It wouldn't matter if it's a 'bad' or outright dangerous neighborhood. In fact, that might be for the better.

I'm sure there are many, many choices and I'm sorry if I was vague. Any help you can lend is appreciated and if you need more input, just ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 05:48 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,082 times
A freelance consultant probably would not be able to afford a river view and especially 4 or 5 stories. You might want to consider moving him to Boise with a view of the river there instead.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:50 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Maybe Red Hook in Brooklyn (not Red Hook, NY, which is a town upstate). But your character should be extremely wealthy to be able to afford even an abandoned loft building in a bad area. Property doesn't come cheap.

You can check prices on a commercial real estate website like Massey Knakal
Massey Knakal Realty Services - Search Listings

Old 02-03-2014, 06:02 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
I found one for you -- it's $2 million, which actually isn't too bad.

Massey Knakal Realty Services - 148 Conover Street, Brooklyn, NY 11231-1122

Old 02-03-2014, 06:04 PM

466 posts, read 901,981 times
Hello, fellow Arkansan.

There's no way someone like this could afford a 4/5 story building, even if it were abandoned, in terrible condition, and sold at auction. The property value alone is worth a lot of money... certainly millions if it's big enough to fit a warehouse.

You could try going the route that he's been left the property by a deceased relative... otherwise you will have to get really creative. Maybe the character doesn't need a whole building, just a floor on a building. Maybe he has a friend who owns property and doesn't mind letting him occupy one of them. Or maybe the character is just independently wealthy somehow.

Is this going to be contemporary NYC, or will it be set in the past or future? That can significantly change which locations would be believable for this building. There's a lot of waterfront on the east side of the East River that has been redeveloped in the past 10 years, and it doesn't look like that trend will end soon.

That's about all I can add because I haven't lived here long. I only know my little part of Queens, and parts of Manhattan.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
A freelance consultant probably would not be able to afford a river view and especially 4 or 5 stories. You might want to consider moving him to Boise with a view of the river there instead.

Trust me, he has an... inheritance as well, you could say. Connections. He can afford to buy and rehab, to be sure. Boise would bore him to tears

Old 02-03-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
Hello, fellow Arkansan.

There's no way someone like this could afford a 4/5 story building, even if it were abandoned, in terrible condition, and sold at auction. The property value alone is worth a lot of money... certainly millions if it's big enough to fit a warehouse.

You could try going the route that he's been left the property by a deceased relative... otherwise you will have to get really creative. Maybe the character doesn't need a whole building, just a floor on a building. Maybe he has a friend who owns property and doesn't mind letting him occupy one of them. Or maybe the character is just independently wealthy somehow.

Is this going to be contemporary NYC, or will it be set in the past or future? That can significantly change which locations would be believable for this building. There's a lot of waterfront on the east side of the East River that has been redeveloped in the past 10 years, and it doesn't look like that trend will end soon.

That's about all I can add because I haven't lived here long. I only know my little part of Queens, and parts of Manhattan.

He has inheritance. Money isn't really a problem for someone of his nature and with the ah, um, associates he has, sort of how you could say, family associates, capische?

Contemporary NYC. But something, rather uncommercially developed, something more isolated.

PS: I've been in AR for 3 months. I hate it. I'm a Cleveland girl and I wanna go home.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:30 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
I think you might be describing OLIVER QUEEN?

Old 02-04-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I think you might be describing OLIVER QUEEN?
Probably not, since I don't know who that is by reference.

I'm describing a character that's established, kind of, in fiction, but undeveloped. Yes so I'm saying that what I'm writing is "fan fic".

Old 02-04-2014, 01:30 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sep46 View Post
Trust me, he has an... inheritance as well, you could say. Connections. He can afford to buy and rehab, to be sure. Boise would bore him to tears
Now you are making things up as you go along just make the inheritance a big one and invest in a list of
vanity publishers--- there are just too many good stories about New York City I am serious I would set the scene in Little Rock and make him an unknown lost brother of a governor who runs for president
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City