Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 12:44 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,669,634 times

Advertisements

An important part of Old New York! Add the Afrika House to those clubs as part of that scene.

I went to school, upstate with some Carribbean folk from Brooklyn; who were instrumental in building a scene, up there! The scene and influence went hard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 01:33 PM

857 posts, read 1,199,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Yep sure did (screename hints at that) back in the days of Biltmore Ballroom, Club Legends, Club Callaloo, Caribbean City, Q Club, Act III, Amazura and on and on with the some of the same spots changing names over the years. Great times but also dangerous times as it was common for the bullets to fly both inside the dance and especially outside after the club let out...

Add Afrique SoundStation and LP International to that list of notable NYC Sound Systems
I heard Tilden Ballroom was a hotspot back in those days.....I also remember the Elite Ark in East NY in the 90s and 2000s.....

Old 12-17-2016, 06:53 PM

33,996 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Biltmore Ballroom.....

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-17-2016, 11:06 PM

783 posts, read 576,018 times
I was pretty young in the 80s, but my older sister was big into that stuff. She used to go to dancehalls all the time. She was born in the Caribbean and we lived in heavily Caribbean neighborhoods. I used to steal her mix tapes and her walkman and play those sound clashes ALL the time. I don't even remember the sound names anymore, except Stonelove. But that was fun.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:55 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
I heard Tilden Ballroom was a hotspot back in those days.....I also remember the Elite Ark in East NY in the 90s and 2000s.....
There was also Starlite Ballroom.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Man too much history, with lots of documentation. youtube could be your friend. there were too many soundsystems to mention, but some crews basically ran the cubs they played at. Nut who had the biggest SoundSystem? you will have to locate those neighborhoods full of Jamaicans. Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and I am not talking the projects. These were middle class folks with private homes, Taking it to their neighborhood park or schoolyard. Cops were not bothering anyone, as it was good clean fun. The OP should consider the late 70's instead.

for those that don't know, Carribean soundsystems existed since the late 60's all over the 5 boro's. Hip Hop followed their lead in almost every ways. Reggaeton is based on one dub plate, all songs have the same beat pattern. Another off spring of that Dancehall sound! Criminal Minded album,by the BDP crew, KRS one was completely based after the same principle and music. Even the car culture,trunk full of sub woofers , craving that wall of sound.

I was a fan, from the early 80's, telephone love with shabba ranks and shirley thunders Kuff , made me an instant fan. VP records , Jamaica queens. Darvin levy, rockers tv, bobby kondors with Massicve Sound . Give credit to DJ Red Alert for making the DanceHall Sound mainstream in NY!

the un matched sound of 8 to 12 bass bottoms thumping my chest in is most memorable. You can hear the music a mile away!
A bit revisionist

West Indian sound systems weren't that pervasive until the mid 80s.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
I was pretty young in the 80s, but my older sister was big into that stuff. She used to go to dancehalls all the time. She was born in the Caribbean and we lived in heavily Caribbean neighborhoods. I used to steal her mix tapes and her walkman and play those sound clashes ALL the time. I don't even remember the sound names anymore, except Stonelove. But that was fun.
Stonelove was based in Kingston, but it played in NYC frequently. In fact, it was booked globally. Up to this day, it still tours the world. Here's a recent interview with Rory, the selector.

https://youtu.be/JRSzO00hLr4

Here is Stonelove playing in Biltmore. This was probably in 1990.

https://youtu.be/PZut7nCFKnU

Old 06-27-2017, 08:57 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,488 times
It's strange that sound system culture in NYC isn't highlighted outside the Caribbean community. After all, rap/hip hop was pioneered by a fellow Jamaican who was a fan of sound system culture. The UK, on the other hand, massively appreciated sound system culture and strongly rivaled the sound systems in Jamaica. Just look at Notting Hill Carnival and the number of British based reggae artistes that did well. Stone Love, Bass Odyssey and Killamanjaro are probably still the three premier Jamaican based sound systems in terms of longevity and fanbase. The New York scene isn't as vibrant as it once was.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
It's strange that sound system culture in NYC isn't highlighted outside the Caribbean community. After all, rap/hip hop was pioneered by a fellow Jamaican who was a fan of sound system culture. The UK, on the other hand, massively appreciated sound system culture and strongly rivaled the sound systems in Jamaica. Just look at Notting Hill Carnival and the number of British based reggae artistes that did well. Stone Love, Bass Odyssey and Killamanjaro are probably still the three premier Jamaican based sound systems in terms of longevity and fanbase. The New York scene isn't as vibrant as it once was.
The UK puts a high emphasis on cultural appreciation. In the US, if it ain't paying the bills, who cares? Also, a lot of UK sound systems have moved into dub music.

https://youtu.be/udEsDL7VMpQ

Old 06-28-2017, 10:46 AM

You also have to remember that a lot of the NYC based soundmen fell victim to the drug trade either through deportation or death. Also, in Jamaica, not many sound systems are active. Sometimes, I wonder where are these dubplates and 45s located. You mean a son or perhaps a grandson can't dust these musical artifacts and put them to use?

I doubt soundclashes even take place today on the island apart from those BS Irish and Chin promoted events that are not cultural based. All you get are shout matches and dubplate gimmicks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City