Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 08:34 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Nyc area port infrastructure needs a major face-lift if the area intends to compete and maintain its relevancy in physical global trade. Look at the port in Elizabeth NJ for example, new container ships can past there due to shallow waters and the bayonne bridge being too low to prevent newer taller ships from entering. Recently Port Authority had to extend one of its runways which supposed to accommodate the new Airbus airline. LGA needs to go, its limited by space and can no build out unless runway 13 is extended more into flushing Bay. Also to airtrain needs to be built or the N train needs to be extend to lga. One option is to build a more efficient airport across the river in the bronx. My last suggestion is to raise central park and turn central park into an airport. Turn fdr and west side drive and Harlem riverdrive into parkways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 09:12 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Who cares.
You know who does? You do.
Otherwise you wouldn't be posting on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Nyc area port infrastructure needs a major face-lift if the area intends to compete and maintain its relevancy in physical global trade. Look at the port in Elizabeth NJ for example, new container ships can past there due to shallow waters and the bayonne bridge being too low to prevent newer taller ships from entering. Recently Port Authority had to extend one of its runways which supposed to accommodate the new Airbus airline. LGA needs to go, its limited by space and can no build out unless runway 13 is extended more into flushing Bay. Also to airtrain needs to be built or the N train needs to be extend to lga. One option is to build a more efficient airport across the river in the bronx. My last suggestion is to raise central park and turn central park into an airport. Turn fdr and west side drive and Harlem riverdrive into parkways.
LGA is a disgraceful excuse of an airport. Even JFK is kind of subpar amongst developed countries airports.

NYC needs an infrastructure update as of yesterday. Commerce is heavily dependent on it.

The bolded part is a preposterous suggestion BxGuayanese. We need green spaces.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:16 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
NYC has the worst airports of any big cities. Even Newark Airport is better and which is a shame.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:25 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
The security lines remind me of the food lines during the great depression.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:30 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
The cramped conditions of our airports are a completely natural downside of having two international airports within city limits and the third just outside of the city. The only way to fix this would be to build up Stewart or MacArthur Airport into modern airports and then link them to the city with a dedicated true high speed rail.

Most major city US airports are far outside the cities they serve. Take Denver for example. DIA is what, 30-40 miles north-east of the city? I've had noting but pleasurable experiences flying into and out of DIA since 1998 when I was a nervous US Army private reporting to Colorado for the first time.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:30 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
You know who does? You do.
Otherwise you wouldn't be posting on this thread.

LGA is a disgraceful excuse of an airport. Even JFK is kind of subpar amongst developed countries airports.

NYC needs an infrastructure update as of yesterday. Commerce is heavily dependent on it.

The bolded part is a preposterous suggestion BxGuayanese. We need green spaces.
There are also tall buildings around Central Park, so I don't know if the airplanes would even be able to land in that space. Even if they did, they would likely have to fly too close to these buildings. Think major safety violation.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Who cares.

LGA was supposed to be for flights that had 50 peassengers or less, thats what it was designed for. because it is in a highly residential area, it was not supposed to have huge jets flying in and out.

I also agree. LGA should be completely wiped off the face of the earth and a new airport should be built in a NON residential area with rails connected to it.

LGA is in a terrible spot......terrible.
What empty, non residential area exists IN NYC that would have enough space for a new airport? I might add that JFK is an a residential area too. I lived in Queens for many years near LGA, and it was NO BIG DEAL. Thank goodness NYC planners ignore whiny people among the public, as if they listened to every whine there'd be no airports, no trains, no buses, no roads or highways, no NYC even!

Old 02-07-2014, 09:35 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
So Joe Biden joined the Donald in comparing LGA to a third world country airport.

-------

"If I blindfolded someone and took them at 2:00 in the morning into the airport in Hong Kong and said ‘where do you think you are,’ they’d say, ‘this must be America, it’s a modern airport,’" he said. "But if I blindfolded you and took you to LaGuardia Airport in New York, you must think, ‘I must be in some third world country.’ I’m not joking."

Biden Compares LaGuardia Airport To A Third World Country: Gothamist

---------

I agree with Joe on this one. LGA is ugly as hell.

What if we razed that airport and build a new modern one in its place. The state and federal government could split the bill.

Anyone else agree?

no it should be 100 % federal---

Old 02-07-2014, 09:38 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,596 times
LaGuardia Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...to_replac.html

This year should begin the redevelopment...

Old 02-07-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The cramped conditions of our airports are a completely natural downside of having two international airports within city limits and the third just outside of the city. The only way to fix this would be to build up Stewart or MacArthur Airport into modern airports and then link them to the city with a dedicated true high speed rail.

Most major city US airports are far outside the cities they serve. Take Denver for example. DIA is what, 30-40 miles north-east of the city? I've had noting but pleasurable experiences flying into and out of DIA since 1998 when I was a nervous US Army private reporting to Colorado for the first time.

LGA and JFK are outside of Manhattan, the center city.

With that said, its quite possibly that LI and Westchester residents wouldn't welcome expansions in these airports. Nor would NYC residents want to go out to LI or Westchester to fly out of town. For many people LGA or JFK are just cab rides away, and it's a short drive to get there if you're a Queens or Brooklyn resident.

Denver also doesn't have the population density of NYC, and you don't want cars and cabs crowding the already crowded freeways going into Westchester or LI. Not everyone is going to take the train.

As for the dedicated highspeed train that would serve these areas, who is going to pay all the extra tax money to support such a massive new infrastructure need?

It'll never happen, JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark will remain the city's primary airports. The Port Authority may upgrade but that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City