Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2014, 11:15 AM
 
1,431 posts, read 2,603,023 times
Reputation: 1199

Advertisements

You can never have two rent-stabilized apartments because you can't have two primary residences, by definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2014, 11:27 AM
 
43,227 posts, read 43,855,338 times
Reputation: 20352
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
You can never have two rent-stabilized apartments because you can't have two primary residences, by definition.
If each of the couple is the only one on the lease and they primarily spent time in the separate apts. then in theory it could be possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
9,238 posts, read 23,939,307 times
Reputation: 7747
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
You can never have two rent-stabilized apartments because you can't have two primary residences, by definition.
Agree,but do 2 married people always have to have the same primary residence ? I mean are there laws about that ?

I am wondering because I happen to know a married couple who both had rent stabilized apartments before getting married and have kept them both even though they are really living in one.One of them is claiming their pre marital primary residence as their primary residence still,even though not really "living there" anymore.
He uses it as an office.

I also know more than one married couple who own two residences(city co-ops and country houses) where each person claims one of the residences as the primary residence in order to get 2 star property tax exemptions.Husband takes star exemption on apartment,wife registered to vote at and taking star exemption on country house .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 11:30 AM
 
105,377 posts, read 107,309,064 times
Reputation: 79050
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
You can never have two rent-stabilized apartments because you can't have two primary residences, by definition.
yes you can if they are adjacent and you claim you need more space.

the question is whether the landlord will let you.

first off you would have to qualify income wise, but more important I would not want to have 2 apartments at risk of no rent in case of illness , job loss or divorce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
9,238 posts, read 23,939,307 times
Reputation: 7747
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
You can never have two rent-stabilized apartments because you can't have two primary residences, by definition.
Agree,but do 2 married people always have to have the same primary residence ? I mean are there laws about that.

I am wondering because I happen to know a married couple who both had rent stabilized apartments before getting married and have kept them both even though they are really living in one.One of them is claiming their pre marital primary residence as their primary residence even though not really "living there" anymore.
He uses it as an office.

I also know more than one married couple who own two residences(city co-ops and country houses) where each person claims one of the residences as the primary residence in order to get 2 star property tax exemptions.Husband takes star exemption on apartment,wife registered to vote at and taking star exemption on country house .

It's amazing how many people out there who have no qualms about doing this type of thing and then complain about all the public assistance recipients "gaming the system." What a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 12:03 PM
 
1,058 posts, read 1,979,589 times
Reputation: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Agree,but do 2 married people always have to have the same primary residence ? I mean are there laws about that ?

I am wondering because I happen to know a married couple who both had rent stabilized apartments before getting married and have kept them both even though they are really living in one.One of them is claiming their pre marital primary residence as their primary residence still,even though not really "living there" anymore.
He uses it as an office.

I also know more than one married couple who own two residences(city co-ops and country houses) where each person claims one of the residences as the primary residence in order to get 2 star property tax exemptions.Husband takes star exemption on apartment,wife registered to vote at and taking star exemption on country house .

A fine example of a heartless scam--- give us his name and we will turn them in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 12:07 PM
 
6 posts, read 8,038 times
Reputation: 10
Any brokers have an actual answer?
Can a married/seperated couple have 2 rent stabilized apartments.

Im not interested in people's opinions about scamming the system.

This is something i was wondering, so im seeking information so i can know all my options for findind an apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 12:22 PM
 
1,431 posts, read 2,603,023 times
Reputation: 1199
^Interesting...I hadn't thought of that. But if the landlord figured out that the married couple was, in reality, mostly living together in one of the apartments they could probably lose it, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 12:46 PM
 
105,377 posts, read 107,309,064 times
Reputation: 79050
It says on the rent stabilized guideline site

"Primary Residence FAQ section.

Finally, it is not unlawful per se to rent two stabilized apartments. Many people rent more than one apartment because of space requirements. However, in these situations the apartments are usually adjacent (or at least in the same building) and thus are considered to be a single "primary residence." It is not uncommon for married couples to maintain two separate rent regulated residences."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 01:22 PM
 
1,431 posts, read 2,603,023 times
Reputation: 1199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It says on the rent stabilized guideline site

"Primary Residence FAQ section.

Finally, it is not unlawful per se to rent two stabilized apartments. Many people rent more than one apartment because of space requirements. However, in these situations the apartments are usually adjacent (or at least in the same building) and thus are considered to be a single "primary residence." It is not uncommon for married couples to maintain two separate rent regulated residences."
Question--if it's considered a single primary residence, are the rents added together for purposes of high-rent deregulation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top