Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 01:56 PM

34,012 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
NJ has dangerous areas but these places actually less dangerous than compared to plenty of other cities.

Maybe Camden but if you're thinking about Newark then no.
Newark's not dangerous? Irvington's not? Please. Even Paterson got areas where the cops are scared to go. NYC got some bad areas, but the cops ain't scared to go there. NJ hoods make NYC hoods look like Chutes n Ladders.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 02:05 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
I don't know if it was THE most dangerous neighborhood in NYC in the '90s, but Central Harlem was certainly one of the worst. Abandoned buildings, major league drug-dealing, drive-by shootings, deep poverty, lots of social dysfunction, and all the rest.

The OP might also try setting hist story in Washington Heights, which at the time was a major drug-infested neighborhood during the crack epidemic, with all the dysfunction that entails. It might have physically looked a bit better than some of the Bronx and Brooklyn neighborhoods that hve been mentioned, but living in the wrong part of it was sheer hell.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:14 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Newark's not dangerous? Irvington's not? Please. Even Paterson got areas where the cops are scared to go. NYC got some bad areas, but the cops ain't scared to go there. NJ hoods make NYC hoods look like Chutes n Ladders.
Where did I say Newark isn't dangerous?

I said there are cities throughout the country which are actually much more dangerous than Newark. Re-read the post.

Detroit, Flint, Chicago, and plenty of others make Newark look like Chutes N Ladders.

You would be lying to yourself and others if you were to say the opposite.

East New York makes NJ hoods looks like a fun game? I'd actually say they're probably pretty equal in terms danger, crime. Oh yeah and there are indeed parts of East New York where cops are afraid to go.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:16 PM

34,012 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:

I said there are cities throughout the country which are actually much more dangerous than Newark. Re-read the post. Detroit, Flint, Chicago, and plenty of others make Newark look like Chutes N Ladders.

East New York makes NJ hoods looks like a fun game? I'd actually say they're probably pretty equal in terms danger, crime.
Well, hell why stop at Flint? Let's recommend the favelas then! OP posted in NYC forum so I gave him the closest option.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-08-2014, 02:26 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Well, hell why stop at Flint? Let's recommend the favelas then! OP posted in NYC forum so I gave him the closest option.
Or even some areas of Mumbai or New Delhi.

but East New York would very well be the closest option for NYC.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:49 PM

391 posts, read 1,248,582 times
Why don't you focus on any neighborhood in the 48th Precinct in the Bronx. In 1990, the Bronx as a whole had one of the highest murder rates in the country, even worse than Chicago, Miami, Baltimore, Cleveland, etc. It had about the same per capita murder rate as Detroit and Atlanta. Considering the Bronx had the bigger population compared to the other two, you can imagine how crazy it was on such a grand scale.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:54 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:

I said there are cities throughout the country which are actually much more dangerous than Newark. Re-read the post.

Detroit, Flint, Chicago, and plenty of others make Newark look like Chutes N Ladders.

East New York makes NJ hoods looks like a fun game? I'd actually say they're probably pretty equal in terms danger, crime. Oh yeah and there are indeed parts of East New York where cops are afraid to go.
Newark makes Chicago look like Beverly Hills. Get out of here. Newark takes a back seat to no one and has been among the most dangerous cities in the country for decades.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:10 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,014 times
Some of the meanest, baddest, coldest and most ruthless individuals I come to know hailed from East New York and even Brownsville. Constant fights over trivial things, machetes in backpacks, overjealous attitudes, lot's of gawking, ect. It goes without saying that I've met a lot of real good people in these environments too. It is..............what it is........

Old 02-08-2014, 08:28 PM

5,100 posts, read 4,959,205 times
OP, which languange are you going to write your story in?

why do you pick a us city for your book? there are a lot of hell like places elsewhere, iraq, afgan,somali, just to name a few. stop spreading untrue danger of the us, please.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:58 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
OP, which languange are you going to write your story in?

why do you pick a us city for your book? there are a lot of hell like places elsewhere, iraq, afgan,somali, just to name a few. stop spreading untrue danger of the us, please.
Of course there are dangerous places all over the world. If the guy wants to write a book set in a dangerous city in the U.S., then he should be able to do what he wants. Are you saying nowhere in the U.S. should be considered dangerous, just because there are areas of civil unrest and war elsewhere in the world?
That's silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City