Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 09:14 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,462,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBoy View Post
Why don't you focus on any neighborhood in the 48th Precinct in the Bronx. In 1990, the Bronx as a whole had one of the highest murder rates in the country, even worse than Chicago, Miami, Baltimore, Cleveland, etc. It had about the same per capita murder rate as Detroit and Atlanta. Considering the Bronx had the bigger population compared to the other two, you can imagine how crazy it was on such a grand scale.

I dunno...I lived in the boogie down in the 90s and my hood had a fairly low crime rate (45th precinct). I'm sure the Neck and a bunch of other Bx hoods were the same way. I find it hard to believe that the Bronx back in those days was any worse than those cities you've named..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 09:16 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,195,979 times
Beginning of the 90s? I'd go with Philadelphia; the Badlands of North Philadelphia are most well known, but actually a LOT of Philadelphia was pretty bad. The Italian mafia operated more or less openly in South Philadelphia until a series of FBI busts in the mid-90s. Most of West Philadelphia outside the immediate environs of the universities was dangerous (I imagine much still is, but the decent area has expanded). And Southwest was not a place to go either.

A little earlier and you can get D.C. during the Marion Barry years, or New York at its most nasty. But for the early 90s I'd go for Philadelphia.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,123,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
East New York makes NJ hoods looks like a fun game? I'd actually say they're probably pretty equal in terms danger, crime. Oh yeah and there are indeed parts of East New York where cops are afraid to go.
I remember reading a statistic that Newark had the same murder rate as Brownsville. So considering the fact that Newark has low-crime areas as well, that means the worst parts of Newark are worse than anything here in NYC.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:55 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I remember reading a statistic that Newark had the same murder rate as Brownsville. So considering the fact that Newark has low-crime areas as well, that means the worst parts of Newark are worse than anything here in NYC.
Keep in mind Brownsville's population is less than half that of Newark's...and the Newark's total area (per square mile) is larger.

Given this information, Brownsville most likely would be the most dangerous of the two.

but again Newark and the Brownsville or East New York and are probably similar in terms of crime.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,123,503 times
Quote:
Keep in mind Brownsville's population is less than half that of Newark's...and the Newark's total area (per square mile) is larger.

Given this information, Brownsville most likely would be the most dangerous of the two.

but again Newark and the Brownsville or East New York and are probably similar in terms of crime.
I said murder rate. That means it takes into account the population.

I think it was something like 32 murders per 100,000 people in Brownsville, versus 36 murders per 100,000 in Newark.

And I really don't like it when people start painting entire cities with a broad brush. Crime rates aren't uniform across all cities (and the larger the city, the more true this holds). Newark overall might have more crime than NYC overall, but you're not going to sit there and convince anybody that say, Forest Hill has more crime than Brownsville, just because it's in the city that's more dangerous overall.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:30 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I said murder rate. That means it takes into account the population.

I think it was something like 32 murders per 100,000 people in Brownsville, versus 36 murders per 100,000 in Newark.

And I really don't like it when people start painting entire cities with a broad brush. Crime rates aren't uniform across all cities (and the larger the city, the more true this holds). Newark overall might have more crime than NYC overall, but you're not going to sit there and convince anybody that say, Forest Hill has more crime than Brownsville, just because it's in the city that's more dangerous overall.
Yes, you did say murder rate.

32 murders per 100,000 people? When Brownsville only has about 50,000 people?

Then this would mean the murder rate in Brownsville is higher. Or the statistics were incorrect. That is what I meant.

I wasn't painting any place with a broad brush. The murder rate is most likely the same in both areas.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:06 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,437,315 times
Quote:
Yes, you did say murder rate.

32 murders per 100,000 people? When Brownsville only has about 50,000 people?

Then this would mean the murder rate in Brownsville is higher
. Or the statistics were incorrect. That is what I meant.
That's not how a rate works. A murder rate is murders divided by population.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:02 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,974,369 times
I recall looking at the NYC crime map and I was examining ENY and BV. I found a single street somewhere not so far away from the L and A trains that had 2 or 3 murders at different dates.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:41 AM

33 posts, read 36,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Beginning of the 90s? I'd go with Philadelphia; the Badlands of North Philadelphia are most well known, but actually a LOT of Philadelphia was pretty bad. The Italian mafia operated more or less openly in South Philadelphia until a series of FBI busts in the mid-90s. Most of West Philadelphia outside the immediate environs of the universities was dangerous (I imagine much still is, but the decent area has expanded). And Southwest was not a place to go either.

A little earlier and you can get D.C. during the Marion Barry years, or New York at its most nasty. But for the early 90s I'd go for Philadelphia.

D.C. was murder capital during the whole decade of the 90's, and the late 80's for that matter.
Baltimore was and is still a hellhole with its murder rate being #1 on the east coast, only Detroit is worst these days. Philly and Camden still put in work too as well as Newark. NYC, Boston, and DC have gotten safer but Philly and Baltimore have HUGE problems.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:43 AM

33 posts, read 36,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Newark makes Chicago look like Beverly Hills. Get out of here. Newark takes a back seat to no one and has been among the most dangerous cities in the country for decades.
Nah the south and west sides of Chicago might as well be Baghdad, I mean Chicago has the monkier "ChiRaq" for a reason...... they be having like 500+ murders a year and its mostly all concentrated on the south and west sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City