Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:49 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times

Advertisements

Agreed with your comments Ms. Henna, but your last three words were really unnecessary so deleted
As detective as you might be, you failed to spot the sarcasm in my post...so one point to me this round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Of course there are dangerous places all over the world. If the guy wants to write a book set in a dangerous city in the U.S., then he should be able to do what he wants. Are you saying nowhere in the U.S. should be considered dangerous, just because there are areas of civil unrest and war elsewhere in the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 11:01 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Agreed with your comments Ms. Henna, but your last three words were really unnecessary so deleted
As detective as you might be, you failed to spot the sarcasm in my post...so one point to me this round.
Yes, I guess I "failed" because the sarcasm was not clear at all. If you'd like a point, then by all means, take one. I have way too many right now

Old 02-09-2014, 11:43 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bound 1990 View Post
Nah the south and west sides of Chicago might as well be Baghdad, I mean Chicago has the monkier "ChiRaq" for a reason...... they be having like 500+ murders a year and its mostly all concentrated on the south and west sides.
The murder rate of Chicago has been hyped up by the right-wing media due to anti-Obama sentiments.

In 2013, Chicago has actually had a record low murder rate... the lowest murder rate that they've had since the 1960's:
2013 Ends With A Big Drop In Homicides In Chicago | KUTV.com

Old 02-09-2014, 02:20 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
If you want dangerous then you need to be looking in Trenton, Newark, & Jersey City

Bring extra underpants

Old 02-09-2014, 03:24 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
If you want dangerous then you need to be looking in Trenton, Newark, & Jersey City

Bring extra underpants
Again there are places far more dangerous than these areas.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bound 1990 View Post
D.C. was murder capital during the whole decade of the 90's, and the late 80's for that matter.
Baltimore was and is still a hellhole with its murder rate being #1 on the east coast, only Detroit is worst these days. Philly and Camden still put in work too as well as Newark. NYC, Boston, and DC have gotten safer but Philly and Baltimore have HUGE problems.
DC had the highest murder rate in 2002 of any large city, higher than Detroit. It's the Onion but the numbers are true:

D.C. Once Again Murder Capital, Mayor Brags | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

"Yeah, we're not big trend-followers here in D.C.," said Williams, puffing out his chest slightly. "We have our own way of doing things. Our murder rate has always been high. Just because folks over in L.A. or Miami start settling down, that doesn't mean we will here."

DC's murder rate in the early 90s was far higher than NYC or Philly; DC peaked at around 80 per 100k. Though the South Bronx had a similar population and almost as high of a murder rate back then.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:06 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
but East New York would very well be the closest option for NYC.
Not even close, go check out Jersey City some time, and I don't meet the glitsy exchange place business area with all the Skyscrapers

Old 02-09-2014, 04:19 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KotieK View Post
Hello.

So, first of all let me exactly explain what I'm looking for: I'm not american, so if I make some language mistake you know why.
The point is: I'm a writer, and I wanna write a novel set in one of your cities, but the time in the novel is the beginning of 90's.
Well, I've made my researches, and I've found one of the most dangerous borough in NY WAS the Bronx, now only the South Bronx where the crime is still on a high level (based on my researches).

So, I'm asking you if you can recommend me a dangerous neighborhood in the South Bronx, or maybe the same in another part of the U.S.A.
It doesn't have to be NY or part of the South Bronx, if you have any advice I would really like.

I'm starting this project just some weeks ago and I really care about it, so I wanna take my time and choose everything in the right way.
And one of my worst problem is where should I set the story. I need a very dangerous place, where the crime and the illegality is so high.

Thank you so much in advance (and I'm sorry sorry if I made some language mistake but your language isn't mine).
Go walk in the stairwells of the Pink houses in East NY. If you survive that then head to Detroit preferably night before halloween.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:12 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Not even close, go check out Jersey City some time, and I don't meet the glitsy exchange place business area with all the Skyscrapers
I've been to Jersey City and East New York looks worse.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:26 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
OP, I actually have a better spot for you. Go to La Perla in Old San Juan. You'll be fine. BTW take a lot of pics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City