Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 09:30 AM

10 posts, read 28,660 times

Advertisements

Hi, i currently have a triple play with TWC but I'm trying to see if there is a cheaper alternatives.

Does anyone know the list of companies (or a website that would) tell me what companies work in my area for phone, internet, and TV respectively in the Queens area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 09:50 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,576,804 times
It varies by neighborhood. You can go on the respective sites, and there is the option to put in your address to see if you are a potential customer and for what services.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:45 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
A few areas of Queens are Verizon FIOS, which is the best "cable" company in the area, but I think most are split between Time Warner and RCN.
All you can do is play one against the other to get the best deal.

If you are in an apartment building, you are generally stuck with whatever company your landlord will allow. Private homes can do satellite for input but then must rely on phone lines for internet upload.

I am FIOS (in Manhattan) but I am also wired for TWC (wire actually into apartment.) Every now and then when I see a $79.95 come-on for the first year or two I go to the website and put in my zip code and the offerings start at $129 + tax + equipment rental, and that is always for a really rotten package (like 1 Mbps internet.)

My building is supposed to have a "special" TW price for us, but I have never bothered to learn the particulars and it might be just for TV.

Summary: If you can get FIOS, take it in a heartbeat. I have had it for 3 years and pay $116 for a terrific package, including digital phone, terrific TV package, Multi-room DVR, SHowtime and HBO, 25/25 Internet, and tax.
I think almost all FIOS users would agree with me that it cannot be beat.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:50 PM

33,999 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Summary: If you can get FIOS, take it in a heartbeat. I have had it for 3 years and pay $116 for a terrific package, including digital phone, terrific TV package, Multi-room DVR, SHowtime and HBO, 25/25 Internet, and tax.
I think almost all FIOS users would agree with me that it cannot be beat.
How many boxes?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-08-2014, 03:43 PM

125 posts, read 115,806 times
TWC sucks!!! you will never get that advertised 79.99 price or a300 reward card or a Samsung tablet
I m in apartment only can get TWC the internet I ordered the ULTIMATE pkg which is highest and they want you to pay 90 bux and then cable and phone totals over 200 monthly!!!!

THEN they charging xtra for wifi!!!!
i couldnt believe it!!

my friend had Optimum they give you a password so all your other devices can get online
another friend had FIOS the same thing
I cald TWC tryna find out the password so I can use my laptop and xbox they say they will send a technician out to turn the modem on to broadcast the signal so other devices can connect..

FOR 10 bux MORE a month !!!!
#ihatetwc
r u kidding me?

Old 02-11-2014, 05:42 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
How many boxes?
One main DVR (500 gigs) and one auxiliary plain vanilla STB for the bedroom. But both can access the DVR.
Additional boxes would be $6.99 each.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:52 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,991,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurouninall View Post
Hi, i currently have a triple play with TWC but I'm trying to see if there is a cheaper alternatives.

Does anyone know the list of companies (or a website that would) tell me what companies work in my area for phone, internet, and TV respectively in the Queens area.

There are only 3 potential providers--- and they may not all be available in your building Time Warner, Verizon if Fios is available and RCN if they service your building but their footprint is very limited. I work in the business and have at one point in my career worked for all three.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:00 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrand4 View Post
TWC sucks!!! you will never get that advertised 79.99 price or a300 reward card or a Samsung tablet
I m in apartment only can get TWC the internet I ordered the ULTIMATE pkg which is highest and they want you to pay 90 bux and then cable and phone totals over 200 monthly!!!!

THEN they charging xtra for wifi!!!!
i couldnt believe it!!

my friend had Optimum they give you a password so all your other devices can get online
another friend had FIOS the same thing
I cald TWC tryna find out the password so I can use my laptop and xbox they say they will send a technician out to turn the modem on to broadcast the signal so other devices can connect..

FOR 10 bux MORE a month !!!!
#ihatetwc
r u kidding me?
You must have had the worst experience ever with TWC.

I pay 160 a month (After taxes and misc. fees) for their triple play and upgraded the internet to the second from fastest they offer (either that or the fastest. I forget). I pay no extra to connect other devices, I have Wifi included (don't use it because I have a better router).

When I signed up I got an XBOX within 3 weeks and then a 200 dollar gift card after 90 days (because that's when they say you'll get it).

Edit: I would also like to add in that if given the chance, I'd switch to FiOS in a second.

Last edited by skinnayyy; 02-12-2014 at 09:21 AM..

Old 02-24-2014, 07:22 AM

10 posts, read 28,660 times
Thanks.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:47 AM

5,770 posts, read 16,577,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurouninall View Post
Thanks.
* #6********

*Today, 11:45 AM

If anybody's still interested free HDTV around NYC gets you about 55 digital channels then something like magic jack for your telephone service about $40 a year. Just need Internet service at that point for your phone but not for TV that is free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City