Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 05:15 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times

Advertisements

Just saw this really depressing article in The NY Times about the rapidly worsening situation in Puerto Rico.It says that waves of people,especially middle class,are literally abandoning their lives and property and coming to the States. I wasn't even aware things had gotten so bad. Are a lot of them coming here to NYC,like in the 50's, or they skipping NYC and going to Fla,Texas,etc ?

Wondering how NY'ers would react if hundreds of thousands of destitute Puerto Ricans stated flooding in.They are US citizens so they are free to move in if they want.What's going on there sounds really bad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/09/us...exodus.html?hp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 05:17 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,421 times
Bad stuff down there Bluedog. Moody's labeled them as Junk status. A lot of blame to go around. Not so sure if people are abandoning property. I'm down in PR every year.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:50 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Just saw this really depressing article in The NY Times about the rapidly worsening situation in Puerto Rico.It says that waves of people,especially middle class,are literally abandoning their lives and property and coming to the States. I wasn't even aware things had gotten so bad. Are a lot of them coming here to NYC,like in the 50's, or they skipping NYC and going to Fla,Texas,etc ?

Wondering how NY'ers would react if hundreds of thousands of destitute Puerto Ricans stated flooding in.They are US citizens so they are free to move in if they want.What's going on there sounds really bad.

I've seen a couple new folks that look like they just came from PR (could be wrong but just off their accent and the way they dress it looks that way), but I think the vast majority of people from PR are moving to states that have a similar climate to PR. If you see people moving up here it'll mainly be due to the fact that they have family support up here but other than that probably 70-80% of them are moving to Florida...

Old 02-08-2014, 07:07 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:

The majority are going to Florida or Texas. New York and Virginia are getting some. New York won't get hundreds of thousands of destitute Puerto Ricans this time. Rent in NYC is sky high and social services have been butchered. They'd be in the streets starving. I think Puerto Ricans only come to NY these days if they have close family able to accommodate them, or if they are educated professionals capable of getting decent jobs.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:44 PM

79 posts, read 123,274 times
Quote:

Wondering how NY'ers would react if hundreds of thousands of destitute Puerto Ricans stated flooding in.
Every other person in New York is Puerto Rican. They have already flooded in.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:50 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I've seen a couple new folks that look like they just came from PR (could be wrong but just off their accent and the way they dress it looks that way), but I think the vast majority of people from PR are moving to states that have a similar climate to PR. If you see people moving up here it'll mainly be due to the fact that they have family support up here but other than that probably 70-80% of them are moving to Florida...
Majority of Puerto Ricans from the island are moving to places like Florida. Even when I went to visit New Orleans the chick in the hotels front desk was from Puerto Rico. I don't think the Northeast is a major hub for Puerto Ricans anymore compared to 50 years ago. I rarely come across Puerto Ricans native from the island here in NYC anymore except for 1 person and that person was very transient yuppie type. Also the south is more affordable than Northeast cities such as NYC, Boston or even Philly for that matter. Ten dollars an a hour will go much further in much Florida than lets say living in the Bronx or Brooklyn.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:20 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:

I think you might see a bump in PR's in nyc but I see most of them going south. Do I have a problem with it? No. As long as they are productive, I don't care where they come from.

I personally think among Latinos (except Mexicans notably) NYC peaked in attractiveness. It's not really a top choice anymore for several reasons.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:23 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy skies View Post
Every other person in New York is Puerto Rican. They have already flooded in.
I laughed.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:53 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I have met some recent people from Puerto Rico as well.

They are mostly moving to Florida and they tend to be from Ponce and southern Puerto Rico or less known towns and areas.

There are Puerto Ricans from the island who are coming to NYC and the northeast, just not in very large numbers like earlier decades and they aren't unskilled workers.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:54 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
Quote:

interesting, I thought i was seeing things, but normally when i hear a hispanic person with a accent who looks caribbean i immediately think Dominican, but more recently i have been meeting Puerto ricans straight from PR here in New York. If there happens to be a new wave i would only guess that they would go to where their families are connected. Some NYC, some Chicago, some Orlando etc.

Beautiful people non the less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City