Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 11:50 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,426,532 times

Advertisements

I take a Class 2 Medication which is rather expensive. The mom and pop pharmacy I used to fill the script at for years has been closed for a while now. I tried other mom and pops in my area (midtown) but I didn't feel comfortable with them. I had doubts whether or not they were giving me old pills or pills that were soon to be expired. I've been on the medication for 10 years and sometimes the pills they gave me just didn't feel right.

Sometimes my script was waiting for me behind the counter instead of the refrigerator where they were supposed to be kept. It was extremely frustrating.

I stopped going to the mom and pops because I figure with the economy being so bad these people would be desperate enough to save a few bucks. Me an my medication would be the perfect target.

I then move to a chain pharmacy. I won't say the name out of courtesy.

They have been doing a wonderful job for months now until this week. I go to fill my script and they don't have the full amount in stock. They want to give me what they have and "OWE" me the rest. I've had that happen in other pharmacies and I found it to be a questionable practice. After all when you sign for whatever pills they give you it goes through the health insurance as "ALL RECEIVED". Then its between you and the pharmacy to trust each other. I assume some people are too lazy to go back and the pharmacy gets to keep the extra pills...FREE

So back to this week. I said no thanks I will wait until the whole batch comes in. Fast forward 4 days and the pharmacy leaves an automated message for me to pick up my script. Right after that message the pharmacist himself leaves a message on my machine to please pick up my prescription. Not wanting to cause them any concern I go immediately to the pharmacy to pick it up. Result ? STILL MISSING those pills. Why make an effort to call me (pharmacist) when you know the order is still not filled correctly ? It's shady.

They then tell me "tomorrow" the other batch should come in. Then why not wait to call me tomorrow ! What if I had signed for my pills on monday. I still wouldn't have the rest 4 days later. Every other script I filled it took them ***ONE day to order it.

Considering Obama Care and everything costs double now..meds co pays premiums ER visits Etc. this is really pissing me off.

This is a common practice I believe. Does anyone go through this when filling prescriptions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
This sounds shady. A prescription filled is supposed to be filled or not filled. "Owing " someone medication is weird.

There is money to be made with selling prescription pills and cooking the books and doing things under the table. In my old neighborhood I walked into a pharmacy to buy soap and toiletries, and the told me-and I am not on meds to come see them if I needed any prescription pills and they would " take care of me". The guy seemed shady as a forest.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:39 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
That has happened to me a number of times and I don't see it as an issue at all.
My pharmacy does not bill the insurance until the entire prescription has come in.
What has happened is the stock the pharmacy had of that particular medication has run out and they had to order more.
If it comes from a different store but the same pharmacy it may be an overnight delivery however, coming from the manufacturer it may take a bit longer.
Also, some pills do get changed because one manufacturer is used for a while then a different manufacturer provides that medication for a while.

I suggest calling the pharmacy the next time and making sure the entire prescription has been filled before you make the trip to pick up the medication.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
That has happened to me a number of times and I don't see it as an issue at all.
My pharmacy does not bill the insurance until the entire prescription has come in.
What has happened is the stock the pharmacy had of that particular medication has run out and they had to order more.
If it comes from a different store but the same pharmacy it may be an overnight delivery however, coming from the manufacturer it may take a bit longer.
True. I was fine with it on monday when they told me they needed to order more. They usually do need to order it.

However why does the pharmacist himself make a special request for me to pick up my script when he knows it still isn't completely filled ? I told them I had a few pills left to get me over. No pharmacist has called before even when the prescription was completely filled.

It seems like they are trying to test the waters with me to see how much I will give in. Maybe I am reading into it too much but I think there is a lack of professionalism going on here. It could be office politics too like someone forgets to order something etc. but it seems like someone is not telling me something. They usually get it to me in one or two days. This is uncommon for them. Especially when they aren't talking to me ie. "We forgot to order your meds or the distributor was out etc". Nothing just weird vibes.

...we'll see.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:31 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,081,883 times
By "Class 2" meds do you mean a Schedule II controlled substance? If yes, the pharmacist might be trying to do you a favor in giving you what he has now, as Schedule II meds can have withdrawal effects if stopped suddenly. Even if you told him you have a few pills left he might be trying to help. I doubt he is doing anything shady.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:49 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
This sounds shady. A prescription filled is supposed to be filled or not filled. "Owing " someone medication is weird.

There is money to be made with selling prescription pills and cooking the books and doing things under the table. In my old neighborhood I walked into a pharmacy to buy soap and toiletries, and the told me-and I am not on meds to come see them if I needed any prescription pills and they would " take care of me". The guy seemed shady as a forest.
I agree. It does sound shady, but the customer would still want their "owed" pills, wouldn't they?

Does the pharmacist really believe the client will simply "forget"?

Old 02-20-2014, 03:13 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
I've had partial fills too...never bothered me.
But I rarely runout and call my refills in or just drop off an Rx and I say I'll pick it up tomorrow, any problems? They check and say, nope they'll be waiting for you and I go back in a few days.

CNYC, are you taking an injectable narcotic that has to be kept cold?

Old 02-20-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I've had partial fills too...never bothered me.
But I rarely runout and call my refills in or just drop off an Rx and I say I'll pick it up tomorrow, any problems? They check and say, nope they'll be waiting for you and I go back in a few days.

CNYC, are you taking an injectable narcotic that has to be kept cold?
Nothing injectable !

I agree that this happens sometimes but why call me back to the store when the extra pills hadn't arrived ? They mentioned again today that they will *try to order them for tomorrow. That's why there was a 4 day wait period in the first place...four days passed and the extra pills haven't come in. Call me when the prescription is "filled". I've already told you I had enough to last a few days.

Maybe its nothing shady but I'd appreciate a solid response like " The weather affected deliveries or the distributor was out etc ". Then I wouldn't be left wondering about anything. No explanations just we are out and we need to order it for you. Call me when it is filled or you have a better explanation is what I say.

Pharmacies can be shady though IMO. So you need to be a step ahead of them and not let them take you as a sucker.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:12 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I have never heard of this practice and I wouldn't like it either.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:09 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
It's not really shady but rather shoddy.
A pharmacist's job has gotten more difficult in this city of 1000 different insuance plans that must be called for EVERY Rx. Add to that the new policy of pharmacists or their assistants giving out flu shots, pheumonia shots and what have you.

I just had to change pharmacies because my insurance plan "prefers" only Rite Aid (and 3 more not in NYC)...so now I gotta break in another one. Pity. I used to like my old pharmacy but money is money but a difference of $5 a month on every RX can add up in a year. (I take about 4 prescritions, so $5 x 12 x 4 = $240/year difference to walk an extra block.)

CNYC, If there are no other constraints, why not try somebody new?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City