Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 09:29 PM

749 posts, read 920,684 times

Advertisements

For those people that do not care for Staten Island, we do not care if you ever visit here.
And if the $14 toll bridge is too much for you, find another source, like going through New Jersey.
If you live here and are unhappy, move out. If you think that Manhattan is a better place, or Brooklyn, good for you, we do not miss you........

But at least take the time to research it, and learn to see how many PARKS, BODIES OF WATER, LIKE LAKES, TREES, FAUNA, HISTORICAL HOMES AND GORGEOUS MANSIONS WE HAVE.

I am sick and tired of these ignorant people that do not know anything about the Island, trying to discredit it, any time they see fit. And getting away with it, because there are not many Islanders that use City-Data, who can write on its defense. Sure, it has changed in some areas, but that happens in any city that one lives........and drugs are everywhere, my friend.

Do you ever stop and think that among those 400,000 plus people that live here, many, LOVE LIVING HERE, because it is suburban in many areas, quiet, we have good neighbors, churches, good restaurants, and everything we need is right here.....we do not need to go to another borough to find it. And we do not care, if it is far from the rest of the boroughs.....we cannot change GEOGRAPHY. And as far as having a Subway.......many people living here do not want it......and I am one of them......

In addition, Staten Islanders have very-high incomes.....and if they want to buy fancy cars, so be it......

And again, for those ITALIAN HATERS, and I am not ITALIAN.....or a hater, there are RUSSIANS, ALBANIANS, SPANISH, IRISH, ASIANS, BLACKS, as well as other nationalities. It is not ALL ITALIAN, like most people would led one to believe. And even if it were........they take pride in their homes.....and keep them clean.....and are good neighbors........So please stop using this excuse to degrade the ISLAND.......

Read a book........instead.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:45 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,217,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Right. One neighborhood in a borough that you hate.
I hate for other reasons too. Don't get it confused. That's just one reason why I hate it.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:03 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
For those people that do not care for Staten Island, we do not care if you ever visit here.
And if the $14 toll bridge is too much for you, find another source, like going through New Jersey.
If you live here and are unhappy, move out. If you think that Manhattan is a better place, or Brooklyn, good for you, we do not miss you........

But at least take the time to research it, and learn to see how many PARKS, BODIES OF WATER, LIKE LAKES, TREES, FAUNA, HISTORICAL HOMES AND GORGEOUS MANSIONS WE HAVE.

I am sick and tired of these ignorant people that do not know anything about the Island, trying to discredit it, any time they see fit. And getting away with it, because there are not many Islanders that use City-Data, who can write on its defense. Sure, it has changed in some areas, but that happens in any city that one lives........and drugs are everywhere, my friend.

Do you ever stop and think that among those 400,000 plus people that live here, many, LOVE LIVING HERE, because it is suburban in many areas, quiet, we have good neighbors, churches, good restaurants, and everything we need is right here.....we do not need to go to another borough to find it. And we do not care, if it is far from the rest of the boroughs.....we cannot change GEOGRAPHY. And as far as having a Subway.......many people living here do not want it......and I am one of them......

In addition, Staten Islanders have very-high incomes.....and if they want to buy fancy cars, so be it......

And again, for those ITALIAN HATERS, and I am not ITALIAN.....or a hater, there are RUSSIANS, ALBANIANS, SPANISH, IRISH, ASIANS, BLACKS, as well as other nationalities. It is not ALL ITALIAN, like most people would led one to believe. And even if it were........they take pride in their homes.....and keep them clean.....and are good neighbors........So please stop using this excuse to degrade the ISLAND.......

Read a book........instead.
I like living here. I liked it more 15 years ago before the over building hit it's peak and traffic wasn't such a nightmare. I don't see the drug scourge like everyone else does. I guess because it's not something I am involved with but I know it exist's and from what I have been told Great Kills is a hot zone. Which is a shame I loved living in Great Kills and would move back there if I could.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:50 AM

929 posts, read 1,659,453 times
Some of the building is necessary. SI is simply less developed than elsewhere in NYC.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:37 AM

346 posts, read 383,290 times
Quote:
Some of the building is necessary. SI is simply less developed than elsewhere in NYC.
As far as I'm concerned it's become too developed.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannik508 View Post
As far as I'm concerned it's become too developed.
Because you like the Suburbs perhaps.

One large island with awful traffic is home to a half-million people, yet has only one location for most restaurant chains (like Dairy Queen, TGI Friday's or Taco Bell) and one or two of major retailers (they finally turned Kmart into a 2nd Target, but SI still only has one Best Buy, one Burlington Coat Factory, for instance)

Other boroughs have multiple DMV locations (I think Queens has 3 and I'm pretty sure Brooklyn has 2), but not Staten Island. Just one, by the Goethals, far from everyone.

Many neighborhoods don't have their own supermarkets and lack fast food options. This is not the case in other boroughs.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:02 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,360 times
Quote:
It wasn't done the right way.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:25 AM

237 posts, read 329,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDY GVGV View Post
So I'm from Staten Island and as you can imagine I've heard a lot of jokes about Staten Island growing up. Staten Island has horrible stereotypes and I know that every borough in New York has its stereotypes ~ Manhattan has a stereotype for being a bunch of yuppie transplants, Brooklyn and the Bronx have stereotypes for being ghetto, Queens has a stereotype for being um idk I can't really think of any stereotypes for Queens lol but people always say it's boring and there's nothing to do there ~ but I feel like Staten Island gets it worse than any other borough.

There's a stereotype that every single person from Staten Island is this orange, fist pumping, steroid addicted Guido like the kids you see on jersey shore and yes, there are people from Staten Island who are really like that and shows like mob wives and the fact that 3 people from jersey shore are from Staten Island and our borough president threatening a reporter isn't helping. ~ I actually hate jersey shore because it makes all Italian people look bad and I'm part Italian so I constantly hear stupid jokes from people telling me I should be on jersey shore ~

But I know tons of hard working, nice, kind, smart, amazing people Staten Island that aren't like that at all.

One time I had a job interview and I told the person I was from Staten Island and she was like "How's Snooki?" and Oh my God I wanted to die. I was so embarassed. First of all, Snooki isn't even from Staten Island and second, that's so ignorant.

There's also this show on HBO called Girls and Oh my God I hate this show. Besides the fact that it's so un real New York and it tries to act like it's better than Sex And The City when it's basically the same thing - a show about four privileged white women running around New York in this little bubble world, there's this one episode where two of the characters go to Staten Island and when they're on their way there as they're going into the ferry terminal one of the characters says something like "It's like the gates of Hell" and then when they're on Staten Island he says something like "Look at these people. They're all here stuck on this island wishing they lived in Manhattan" or something like that and Oh my God that's so annoying. I know tons of people who are proud to be from Staten Island.

Do any other Staten Islanders agree with me and feel like we get it worse than the other boroughs? I just don't understand all the hate. I don't even know why I'm ranting right now, it's not like the stereotypes bother me, it's just that I feel like Staten Island gets it a lot worse than the other boroughs.

People act like Staten Island is just this stupid island that no one cares about when it's actually contributed a lot to pop culture - Wu Tang, one of the greatest rap groups of all time is from here, Christina Aguilera, one of the greatest singers of all time is from here, Madonna, one of the most influential artists of all time filmed her music video Papa Don't Preach here, Lady GaGa, one of the hottest pop stars in the music industry right now filmed here music video Marry The Night here, The Godfather, one of the most iconic movies of all time was filmed here and so much other stuff.

I grew up in Queens, and, over the years, had little to no reason to ever visit SI. I did buy into the stereotypes somewhat, out of ignorance...ironically, I've met a few SI'ers here in L.A. one in particular is an Actor whose face you'd recognize(I won't name him). not famous, but has been a Series reg several times. Italian. usually plays "mob" roles.

One of the most racist, right-wing people I've ever known. ditto with all his "associates"(some of which are made guys).

very much one of those "oooooo..ayyyy..how youze doin"-types.

I have to say, most of the people I've met from Staten Island look like "Soprano" wanna-be's. It IS a thing in SI. that said, as far as I know, SI tends to have the cheapest rent in the 5 boroughs, and has beautiful parks, and some very good-looking women..so there's that. No subway and gigantic tolls prices are what kill the deal.

Do something about that, willya, Deblasio?

Old 01-07-2015, 09:41 AM

346 posts, read 383,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansean View Post
I grew up in Queens, and, over the years, had little to no reason to ever visit SI. I did buy into the stereotypes somewhat, out of ignorance...ironically, I've met a few SI'ers here in L.A. one in particular is an Actor whose face you'd recognize(I won't name him). not famous, but has been a Series reg several times. Italian. usually plays "mob" roles.

One of the most racist, right-wing people I've ever known. ditto with all his "associates"(some of which are made guys).

very much one of those "oooooo..ayyyy..how youze doin"-types.

I have to say, most of the people I've met from Staten Island look like "Soprano" wanna-be's. It IS a thing in SI. that said, as far as I know, SI tends to have the cheapest rent in the 5 boroughs, and has beautiful parks, and some very good-looking women..so there's that. No subway and gigantic tolls prices are what kill the deal.

Do something about that, willya, Deblasio?
I think most Islanders are happy wiyh no subway. Myself included.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannik508 View Post
I think most Islanders are happy wiyh no subway. Myself included.
I'm not. But I'm a BK transplant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City