Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 08:55 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,035,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I believe the PC term is pre-owned.
Thanks I'll try to be correct next time.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:53 AM

929 posts, read 1,650,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Moderator cut: pejorative term removed and Russians from Brooklyn for that.
I'm Italian. I can use that term. I've seen a thousand people call the Verrazano Bridge the guinea gangplank on this forum, so what's wrong with me using the word wop?
It's derived from the Neapolitan word guappo which means arrogant, similar to the Spanish word guapo which means handsome.

Nobody can say that Staten Island Italians are not arrogant people on average.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:23 AM

588 posts, read 943,707 times
I'm half and agree. Lots of "wiseguy" types here.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:35 PM

31,588 posts, read 26,430,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I thought Bugsy was just kidding about the cones. Who the hell does that in the boros especially coming from Brooklyn. I know that occurs in Boston and some suburbs, but didn't think people would do that on SI. Maybe they're not use to have no alternate side parking where they sit in their car waiting for the cleaning truck to pass. That's usually the only time people actually get to park in front of their homes.
Cones, garbage cans, garbage bags, boxes etc... you name it have seen it all over SI and yes it came from Brooklyn. Am also not kidding when I say these persons are deadly serious; in their minds the street in front of their house is a personal parking spot for their house and fully expect those cones or whatever to remain there all day or even weekend until they return to claim "their" spot. You value your life and or vehicle cheaply if you move those things and park. If Joey isn't home, Antoinette or Joey Jr. comes out with her/his big mouth going on about "my husband/father..... spot....." and how you better move that car. If you persist you get "I told you, you cannot park here.....".

Reason behind all this is rather simple. These mooks purchased those horrible townhouses or such developments that have zero to little parking. On lots where once a nice sized one family home stood (with a decent backyard and often driveway/garage) developers torn down and built right to the lot line if possible. That or there is a built in garage and small driveway. Either way there isn't enough room for the several cars in a one family "house". So they pave over what yard they have and or claim the street as theirs as well.

Old school Staten Islanders warned about over development and tear downs resulting in lack of parking, but everyone had to have their taste including the Molinari family. Their solution? The City rezoned and redid some streets/avenues to provide *more* parking at the expense of traffic flow. Manor Road just up from Victory, Cebra Avenue going south off Victory and elsewhere, streets one remembers as nice two way traffic now have bits carved out for "parking" to the home owners of "new" homes. Those houses replaced older one family buildings that had been there for years and never required parking other than on site. So now you have to swerve out into the opposite lane of traffic to get around that mess.

What really kills me about Joey and Antoinette and their two or three cars is often you see say one Caddie, a BMW and perhaps a Nissan. Yet they move the plates around between whatever depending upon what car is being driven.

The only thing I will give these idiots is after a major snowstorm, yes my Dad and others would shovel out in front of our house and yes that "spot" was claimed if needed. If you didn't need on street parking then you didn't shovel it out.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Thanks I'll try to be correct next time.
Not even pre-owned, try leased with very high payments.

That is unless you or your father are in that life of theirs; you know where almost everything on their backs and or in their homes "fell off a truck". You have kids driving late model Mercedes, BMW or Nissans yet they live in their parent's basements with "no visible means of support".

Old 01-08-2015, 06:12 PM

18,827 posts, read 13,715,156 times
Joey and Antoinette would be making a big mistake if they decided to get physical with me over their unofficial parking reservations. Joey is more than welcome to approach me any time with his signature Louisville Slugger.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:46 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,291,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

What really kills me about Joey and Antoinette and their two or three cars is often you see say one Caddie, a BMW and perhaps a Nissan. Yet they move the plates around between whatever depending upon what car is being driven.

Dealer plates?

Old 01-08-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Not even pre-owned, try leased with very high payments.

That is unless you or your father are in that life of theirs; you know where almost everything on their backs and or in their homes "fell off a truck". You have kids driving late model Mercedes, BMW or Nissans yet they live in their parent's basements with "no visible means of support".
What era are you living in?? This isn't "A Bronx Tale" or "Goodfellas". I must be living under a rock because I don't know anyone living that way.

when I was 17 I was driving a Cadillac, graduating HS, working at Pathmark and a Landscaping job in the summer and lived in my Parents basement.It was a good time. I always had money in my pocket from legal means and my Dad helped out here in and there. I'm not gonna lie, I had it pretty good, better than some and not as good as others. I heard the same crap from the haters than to.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
What era are you living in?? This isn't "A Bronx Tale" or "Goodfellas". I must be living under a rock because I don't know anyone living that way.

when I was 17 I was driving a Cadillac, graduating HS, working at Pathmark and a Landscaping job in the summer and lived in my Parents basement.It was a good time. I always had money in my pocket from legal means and my Dad helped out here in and there. I'm not gonna lie, I had it pretty good, better than some and not as good as others. I heard the same crap from the haters than to.
Next time am home can drive you round to meet a few.

Just as with the Mafia in general they are *still* out there, just a bit below radar so you have to know where to look and for what.

As this clip from the Sopranos illustrates rather well in the era of central computer tracked shipments/merchandise and cash receipts it is difficult for this to "vanish", but yet they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz0uEzRSWXw

Old 01-09-2015, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Next time am home can drive you round to meet a few.

Just as with the Mafia in general they are *still* out there, just a bit below radar so you have to know where to look and for what.

As this clip from the Sopranos illustrates rather well in the era of central computer tracked shipments/merchandise and cash receipts it is difficult for this to "vanish", but yet they do.
I have lived a sheltered life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City