Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 03:09 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times

Advertisements

^ Well I'm not saying they're black as in african, just asking how they got so black as in african, if that is the case?

But I'm not trying to start an argument, so ya can just let it go and not even answer. I really won't care.

Some of them are blacker than southern indians though, but black is beautiful to me regardless;
I don't know about you.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:33 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
^ Geography. Being smack in the middle of a sea that was once thought of as an ocean, a lot of traders came through the area. Also its really just as close to Africa (if not closer) than it is to the rest of Europe. Its as far south as the northern parts of Tunisia and Libya. My wife and her family have very curly hair and are much more tan than the typical white person.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:20 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ I guess but don't make me laugh. Black is black, whether they like it
or not. Their skin got brown somehow, and they shouldn't be ashamed
of it. All blacks are not as dark as some of them anyway and many blacks
are lighter than some italians even.
You could also look up the research yourself, there is plenty of it out there regarding the history/ethnic make-up of Sicily.Sicily - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Long story short due to the influence of North Africa/Arabic persons (invasions, trade, etc...) there is a percentage of that blood in many native to Sicily. Hence you may see some features commonly associated with "blacks".

Old 02-10-2014, 04:23 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Have you seen it lately? I've seen far better American building projects in war-torn occupied nations.
Unless am on the "good" side of say Clove Road or some such, often just suck it up and go through NJ to get back to Manhattan. Yes, it costs about $14, but my nerves can only stand so much of the SI Expressway and then Gowanus.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:25 PM

478 posts, read 773,210 times
I'll never forget reading Dick Cavett's autobiography years and years ago, when as a transplant Manhattanite, he once visited Staten Island and ventured to the beach, and being this was the sixties or perhaps early seventies, back then you couldn't swim in the water because of the oil.
But he and whomever he was with didn't know that, and went in to swim. When they got out, they found themselves covered in gooey black stuff.
And old time Islander looked at them, and said, "Yup. Oil."

Old 02-11-2014, 08:16 PM

588 posts, read 947,150 times
I like SI better than the other boroughs but its gone downhill the last 10 years. The traffic, potholes are terrible and its filled with Moderator cut: offensive term fake/real wiseguys.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-12-2014 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Offensive term removed

Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
I like SI better than the other boroughs but its gone downhill the last 10 years. The traffic, potholes are terrible and its filled with fake/real wiseguys.
How is SI better than other boros?

It's got the worst transportation systems.
It has fewer shopping districts
Road conditions are horrible and never get fixed.
Many areas have no local Fire Dept.
It cost money just to get back to your tiny boro.
SI also hit hard by Sandy as bad as South NJ coast lines.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-12-2014 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 02-12-2014, 01:24 PM

588 posts, read 947,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

It has fewer shopping districts
Road conditions are horrible and never get fixed.
Many areas have no local Fire Dept.
It cost money just to get back to your tiny boro.
SI also hit hard by Sandy as bad as South NJ coast lines.
I'm no fan of SI but the other boroughs are too urban and crowded imo. It also has the lowest crime rates. Most nyc roads are horrible and Sandy also affected BK and Queens. The majority population of SI nowadays came from Brooklyn . Unfortunately, Lots of people keep moving here.

Last edited by proroc; 02-12-2014 at 02:32 PM..

Old 02-12-2014, 02:09 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Well then the people who care about that shouldn't move here. I for one couldn't care less about the availability of public transportation. I'm not interested in subjecting my travels to the limits of preordained schedules and routes. Obviously many people disagree with me on that one. If you understood that these issues are all subjective, you'd understand why people like me and proroc prefer SI over the other boros.

When I go to sleep, I want silence. I'm personally bothered by loud cars and music when it's time for normal people to sleep. Many parts of this city, even on SI, are not for me for this reason alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City