Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 06:01 PM

34,009 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Inheritances my behind. It is a bunch of white lower and even middle class kids/young adults whose parents do not live on Staten Island but in a placed called DENIAL.

You'd probably find most of them live in their parent's homes/basements and or are on disability/SSI or some other game. Years ago it would have been nipped in the bud by their parents putting a foot up their butts to get their act together. Now no one seems to notice signs of obvious drug use, that things in their home (valuables, cash, etc...) keep going missing and that their kids look and smell like the "bums" they walk past and try to ignore at the ferry or on the streets.

Locals keep complaining that the City is dumping druggies and whatever on SI. Err, no; a good number of them *are* from the Rock, born and raised with family still living.
Thats sad. Just showing my empathy.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-04-2015, 06:12 PM

346 posts, read 383,068 times
Drugs have been on Staten Island for many years . Going back to the 60's I know of kids from very good middle class families that got caught up in that lifestyle and were never able to get out of it. I think some of it was peer pressure and really not knowing the consequences of getting involved in it. I knew many who used then and did not make it out of the 70's. Today there is a lot more knowledge of what getting into that lifestyle can do to you and your family but people still do it. It is tragic for all involved.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:26 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Thats sad. Just showing my empathy.
Exhibit A:

No jail for Staten Island teen accused in vandalism spree | SILive.com

Old 01-04-2015, 06:37 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
I dont think people hate it. Its more an issue of nobody caring about S.I. Theres literally nothing there that justifies a $14 toll. I cant think of 1 thing that I need or want to travel to staten island for.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:51 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I dont think people hate it. Its more an issue of nobody caring about S.I. Theres literally nothing there that justifies a $14 toll. I cant think of 1 thing that I need or want to travel to staten island for.
That is just it isn't it? There isn't one thing one needs there either, but family, friends and most of what one knew for the first 20 so years of life are there so that is that.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:06 PM

23 posts, read 48,563 times
IMO, Staten Island is so disconnected from the rest of the city - its practically NJ for people who live in The Bronx or Queens. It's disconnected in population and overall feel, which makes it less desirable.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:17 PM

929 posts, read 1,658,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrefs View Post
IMO, Staten Island is so disconnected from the rest of the city - its practically NJ for people who live in The Bronx or Queens. It's disconnected in population and overall feel, which makes it less desirable.

And The Bronx is Westchester, except dangerous and filled with bad minority neighborhoods. I have no desire to go there, except for the zoo. I'm not a Yankee fan.

SI has a great mall, parks everywhere, great views of the statue for free via the ferry, and soon to be a big outlet mall by the ferry.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:21 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I'll never understand the whole mindset of outside people worrying about SI at all. Who cares? I've never been concerned with what any other borough has. I don't live there. Who gives a rats behind what people in other boroughs think? As Bugsy said, this island has my family, friends, and pretty much everything else I need on it. This is a childish argument which unfortunately will always continue amongst the fickle people who find personal value based on their location of residence.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:25 PM

346 posts, read 383,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'll never understand the whole mindset of outside people worrying about SI at all. Who cares? I've never been concerned with what any other borough has. I don't live there. Who gives a rats behind what people in other boroughs think? As Bugsy said, this island has my family, friends, and pretty much everything else I need on it. This is a childish argument which unfortunately will always continue amongst the fickle people who find personal value based on their location of residence.
Agree, although I do like Manhattan for what it has to offer in reguards to entertainment and culture.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:27 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,306,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
I remember this skell. How he got off with probation after the crimes he committed and the damage he caused is beyond me. I wonder if he kept himself out of trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City