Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is NYC still that dirty compared to other big cities?
No, it's that dirty anymore at all compared to large cities. 19 18.27%
No, it may still be dirtier than some large cities but hardly much when you factor it's sheer size and activity level. 28 26.92%
Yes, it's still very dirty even for it's size. 45 43.27%
Yes, size makes it a little better but it's still quite dirty. 12 11.54%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:35 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times

Advertisements

Look at the subway tracks and that should answer this question. Many people are rude, have no manors, and treat this city like a giant dumpster and as long as people continue to do so we will have a dirty city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 03:14 AM

872 posts, read 1,385,196 times
The problem is that, in many areas of Manhattan, the infrastructure is crumbling and stained/discoloured. Even if one were to clean up the trash, the areas still feel filthy because it is aesthetically unpleasant.

It's likely that this contributes towards a generally lax mentality when it comes to trash disposal.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:25 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,098,813 times
The things that make NY dirty are littering, public urination and rats. The garbage has to be put out on the street for sanitation to take it away. Putting it in a back alley or on the street makes no difference. It has to go somewhere until it gets picked up. Meanwhile, watch where you're going and you won't step in it.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:13 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
nyc is still dirty.

brooklyn is dirty also.

our dept of sanitation basically sucks.
i have seen garbage men drop bags, they break, and they walk away.

the garbage pails are always overflowing, the curbs are strwewn with litter.
So yes, NYC is dirty.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:39 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
NYC used to have a lot of trash cans. Since 9-11, they removed a lot of trash cans. This leads to a lot more people just leaving their trash around.

A lot of tourists have the mindset that they've paid a lot of money to visit here so they can leave trash to have the city clean it up.

Tourists are the ones that often leave their starbucks drinks and mcdonald bags on the sidewalks.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:51 AM

275 posts, read 572,340 times
I'm a city girl to the core, but yea it's pretty dirty.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:03 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,049 times
Yes, the city is filthy!! Disgusting! I must admit though since it's been so cold and we've had so much snow in 2014, I haven't seen the usual number of rats running over the rails down in the subway. But all other signs of filthiness are still there. As someone mentioned, the infrastructure is old and crumbling which adds to the overall filthy look, IMO. We pay state and city taxes so I'm unclear as to why the infrastructure is not being maintained or updated. Where is the money going?

Old 02-13-2014, 01:03 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Yes, the city is filthy!! Disgusting! I must admit though since it's been so cold and we've had so much snow in 2014, I haven't seen the usual number of rats running over the rails down in the subway. But all other signs of filthiness are still there. As someone mentioned, the infrastructure is old and crumbling which adds to the overall filthy look, IMO. We pay state and city taxes so I'm unclear as to why the infrastructure is not being maintained or updated. Where is the money going?

um, in someones pockets.....................

Old 02-13-2014, 01:26 PM

43 posts, read 62,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
It's very dirty. The fact that they don't have alleyways (like in Chicago) for garbage is a big thing. Besides all that you have to consider infastructure -- most of it is very old in NYC and many public works projects have gone neglected over the years. For a true "Alpha" city it really isn't first class for facilities, but then again many don't seem to care either.

Also it doesn't matter whether it's January or July, much of the city always manages to smell like a toilet.
Really? So what "true" Alpaha city in the US is better? Then again I have been reading some of your post so I guess I shouldn't be surpirsed. Do share how "true" alpha cities like LA or Chicago is so much better. This should be fun.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:41 PM

116 posts, read 169,699 times
I couldn't get over how dirty and disheveled NYC was all over. Cracks in the sidewalk, weeds and plants growing wild out of said cracks, dog **** everywhere, the dog **** was horrendous, just general filth, not what I'd expect from a global city in the good ol' US of A. The subway stations resembled public urinals etc. But it didn't bother me, because I've always grown up thinking NYC was this dirty rough/place, so I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered it was still like that.

What amazes me though is that how many New Yorkers say the NYC of today is so much cleaner/safer than that of the NYC of the 70s and 80s, I can only imagine how terrible it must have been back then considering how bad it still is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City