Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 10:12 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Never ever seen any crime in Corona. I have no problem walking through the middle of it with my 2 year old child to get to the Queens Hall of Science. It's packed with poor working immigrants, no gangs to speak of, nobody bothers gringos

Aside from the good mix of people, there's nothing remotely interesting about the neighborhood architecture or structures. Could never be a Williamsburg type place
I am not sure what it is but I was never crazy about the look of the Corona neighborhood either. The funny thing is that most older Queens neighborhoods built before WW2 usually have pretty nice architecture and are built on a more human scale. Also, developers often had more pride in what they built back then.

Yet there is something about Corona's older buildings - they often seem to lack the typical architectural beauty and details you may find in a Victorian house in Richmond Hill or Woodhaven. Not to mention a beautiful Tudor house in Forest Hills or Kew Gardens. Corona's buildings in contrast are often very plain you might say.

Just a guess but I think that Corona was pretty much a poor or working class area back in the day so developers simply just did not put as much effort into the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 10:44 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Corona is definitely one of the uglier areas in Queens. Such a huge contrast to bordering Jackson Heights and Forest Hills.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:53 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think Corona varies by area. The parts by the Queens Mall seem quite ok, as do other areas like by the Italian triangle (near where the Ice King is). What's weird is that when I select "Corona NY" on the Google maps, it wants to eliminate quite a large area that I know is Corona -- such as the block where the Louis Armstrong Museum is.

I have gone past some very poor looking areas within Corona, and while poor does not always equal unsafe, they are not really areas I'd like to go after dark.
LeFrak City is near Queens Mall, and that's a very bad part of Corona!

Old 02-12-2014, 07:03 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
What's weird is that when I select "Corona NY" on the Google maps, it wants to eliminate quite a large area that I know is Corona -- such as the block where the Louis Armstrong Museum is.
Google maps splits it up as Corona and North Corona. It splits it up at the LIRR track, personally I would think of Roosevelt as the divider between Corona and North Corona. With north of Northern blvd being East Elmhurst.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:38 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theheavyguy06 View Post
I was wondering is it possible for Corona Queens to become the next Williamsburg? Although I do live in Corona but only for 2 years I was wondering is it far from becoming the next Williamsburg I mean I know there is gangs and drugs and your shootings there but im about to have a boy and we are not the richest so we are not really going to able to afford a new place in a better neighborhood so I want to know how far is it off from becoming the next Williamsburg? Please answer? Has Woodside been gentrified yet because I heard it was kinda shady there and excuse my ignorance but i moved from Miami to NYC looking for a better future but sadly I couldnt find it.
Not saying the worst but definitely in the bottom five of the Boro. Nostalgic posters will point to 3 stores, Parkside, Ice King, and Momma's deli. I find the place to be dirty and unappealing.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:10 AM

18 posts, read 86,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Not saying the worst but definitely in the bottom five of the Boro. Nostalgic posters will point to 3 stores, Parkside, Ice King, and Momma's deli. I find the place to be dirty and unappealing.
Yeah it would definitely be marked as one of the rough areas of Queens due to its poverty and crime

Old 02-12-2014, 09:13 AM

370 posts, read 624,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thPerson View Post
Have you lived there?
I've lived in Corona for 20 years and I have never seen a single shooting and do not know anyone who lived in Corona who was a victim of crime. Don't know any gang members either. My grandmother lives near LeFrak City as does an aunt of mine and I remember one of them last summer leaving their garage door open all night accidentally. No one touched a thing. I remember someone ringing my grandmother's door one Saturday afternoon because they found a cell phone in front of her house. It was my grandma's and she left it out there accidentally while doing some gardening. While everything I just said actually happened, it doesn't mean that Corona is some super wonderful, safe, and neighborly utopia. Just like how your bad experiences don't speak for the whole neighborhood either. That's the thing about anecdotal evidence...

Old 02-12-2014, 09:50 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Nah, Corona is far nicer than parts of Jamaica and Far Rockaway.

It's also slowly being gentrified by immigrants.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:23 AM

912 posts, read 2,098,594 times
No it's not

Old 02-12-2014, 11:50 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
I've lived in Corona for 20 years and I have never seen a single shooting and do not know anyone who lived in Corona who was a victim of crime. Don't know any gang members either. My grandmother lives near LeFrak City as does an aunt of mine and I remember one of them last summer leaving their garage door open all night accidentally. No one touched a thing. I remember someone ringing my grandmother's door one Saturday afternoon because they found a cell phone in front of her house. It was my grandma's and she left it out there accidentally while doing some gardening. While everything I just said actually happened, it doesn't mean that Corona is some super wonderful, safe, and neighborly utopia. Just like how your bad experiences don't speak for the whole neighborhood either. That's the thing about anecdotal evidence...
The only one giving anecdotal evidence is you. Just because your mom and grandmother live there and are fine COrona must be perfect. You took the things people on this thread said about the history of crime issues in Corona personally.

There are plenty of news articles and reports on the gang and drug issues in LeFrak City and why Lefrak got so bad. And LeFrak is in Corona.

For years according to NYPD Corona had one of the highest crime rates in Queens. It was pretty bad.

For the record, I used to have relatives and friends who lived in LeCrack City (ooops, Lefrak). But just because I used to have family in the area does not mean I'm going to lie and say its nice when it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City