Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 06:05 AM

10 posts, read 76,476 times

Advertisements

Seeing as I'm stuck indoors with a knee injury, I've put together a video showcase the more beautiful, cultured and refined of the global alpha ++ cities:

‪London - Global Capital‬‏ - YouTube

Last edited by JCrownwell; 07-22-2011 at 06:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 07:57 AM

479 posts, read 1,442,597 times
London is a nice city, but NYC is much better as a city. The people are better, the mix of architecture is better, the food is better, the retail diversity is better, the prices are better, the climate is better, the sky's are better, the water is better, the walking experience is better, the amount place to hang out are better, the parks are better, the public transportation is better, the food trucks are better, OMG I can go on!

Ok this is just my opinion. But I have experience both cities.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:46 AM

I had to remove the video because of persistent sound problems. Will fix it and reupload shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
London is a nice city, but NYC is much better as a city. The people are better, the mix of architecture is better, the food is better, the retail diversity is better, the prices are better, the climate is better, the sky's are better, the water is better, the walking experience is better, the amount place to hang out are better, the parks are better, the public transportation is better, the food trucks are better, OMG I can go on!

Ok this is just my opinion. But I have experience both cities.
I agree with everything you say, apart from your point about the architecture, the retail diversity, the food and water, parks and public transport. Walking experience in nyc was fun in the past, now it's jaded and tiresome. It just doesn't have the vibrance it used to.

Last edited by JCrownwell; 07-22-2011 at 10:57 AM..

Old 07-25-2011, 12:06 PM

‪London - Cultural and Financial Capital of the World‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-26-2011, 07:58 AM

102 posts, read 155,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrownwell View Post
Seeing as I'm stuck indoors with a knee injury, I've put together a video showcase the more beautiful, cultured and refined of the

Old 08-06-2011, 08:04 AM

Citizen401 said: "Dental hygiene stereotypes have no evidentiary basis."

wallstreetmafia said:

So you've managed to conclusively refute one point. What next?

Old 08-11-2011, 09:52 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtohg View Post
Another delusional Brit - sorry mate, your comments are factually incorrect nonsense.

- If you ask the typical Brit where the UK ranks in wealth and standard of living, most will say that it is the highest in Europe, when in fact it is 10th - all the Germanic and Scandinavian countries have a much higher standards of living (CIA Factbook 2011).

- Most Brits think London is the biggest city in Europe - and it would be if you would add 3 million to its population. It has the 18th largest population for a city in the world - NYC is 4th.

- Most Brits think London is the wealthiest city in the world - New York's GDP is 2.5 times that of London. In 2011 New York had a GDP of $1406 Billion and London had a GDP of $565 Billion (just behind LA $592 and Chicago $570).

- Most Brits think London is one of the most expensive in world - it is not even in the top 5 most expensive in Europe: Moscow, Russia (4th), Geneva, Switzerland (5th), Zurich, Switzerland (8th), Copenhagen, Denmark (10th), Oslo, Norway (11th).

- Most Brits think the Underground is the busiest subway in the world - its not. However it is the third busiest in Europe (1. Moscow - 2.4 billion passengers / year, 2. Paris - 1.5 billion passengers / year, 3. London - 1 billion passengers / year), and ranks in the top 20 in the world.

While london is one of the most important financial centers in the world at this time (along with New York), it is also the one financial center that is losing importance the most quickly. The slow economic recovery (the slowest in the EU) of the UK and its serious governmental fiscal woes are only going to accelerate this trend in the short-term, and the rise of Asia (and North America holding its own) will be the story for the longer-term.

and so on, and so on.......

You are living in the 'London Bubble' - where London is the most of everything - biggest, richest, most expensive, most important, most populous, etc. Unfortunately, the facts just don't support this. I love London and I enjoy living there, but it is probably one of the most over-hyped cities on earth.
Truer words have never been spoken. Thanks for a all the facts. The Birtish empire lost its pre-eminence over a century ago. Many people in London still has this fantasy that their city is the center of the universe. We Americans, especially here in New York, can only laugh. The Brits are clueless. They exist at America's mercy.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
NYC doesn't give the impression of a 24/7 city... if you go in Times Square at 2AM it's quite empty...
There are beaches close to London too...
Have you ever lived in New York or are you just a tourist? I live in NYC and have visited many other big cities. I must say New York is the only true 24 hour city I have ever seen. There is no where else on earth quite like New York with it's high energy and 24/7 atmosphere.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Page View Post
OMG you are such a ****ing idiot, have you ever even been to NY...I am English and have been to tonnes of european cities and NONE of them compare to NYC...ESPECIALLY, for nightlife...shut up and stop embarrassing yourself...
Thanks Will Page. I think you summed it up perfectly for all of us. MilkDrinker certainly needed a good telling off.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:11 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Truer words have never been spoken. Thanks for a all the facts. The Birtish empire lost its pre-eminence over a century ago. Many people in London still has this fantasy that their city is the center of the universe. We Americans, especially here in New York, can only laugh. The Brits are clueless. They exist at America's mercy.
To sum it all up 150 years of british imperium and 60 years of american dominance. Thats over 200 years of anglosaxonism has come to an end with the financial crisis. Yet america still exist and float at chinas mercy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City