Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 02:30 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
You never spent lot of money on a nice meal such as steak? Same applies for Sushi or any other cuisine. Sometimes you want a nice meal and don't need to convince yourself you had a meal.

Steak is a different issue.
For steak I do the PALM BUSINESSMAN'S LUNCH.
Going next week in fact.

I am a big eater and "precious portions perfectly presented" are definitely not "NICE," even if alliterative. Maybe for a 100 pound woman but not a 220 lb. weightlifter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 02:50 PM

8,689 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Sushi snobs ARE sushi poseurs. They leave a restaurant hungry and $100 poorer and try to convince themselves they have had a meal.
California rolls isn't sushi. Sesame chicken isn't real Chinese food.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:06 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
For steak I do the PALM BUSINESSMAN'S LUNCH.
Going next week in fact.

I am a big eater and "precious portions perfectly presented" are definitely not "NICE," even if alliterative. Maybe for a 100 pound woman but not a 220 lb. weightlifter.
A big eater shouldn't even go to any sushi places.

If they gave you a 16 ounce raw tuna steak, it'll likely make you feel very tired afterwards because tuna is very high in mercury content and it's not good for anyone.

If you eat a lot of sushi, you probably are eating a lot of rice which hardly has any nutrient.

For big guys you better off going to a steakhouse than a sushi house. Even if you go to sushi buffet place you can stuff yourself with a ton of food there but 2 hours later you still feel hungry because most of the foods at buffets are high in carbs.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:

A big eater shouldn't even go to any sushi places.
Unless it's Ichiumi (all you can eat with about 3 dozen sushi choices.)
I go to Ichiumi because I love sushi AND I am a big eater.

California Rolls? I usually skip the the "rolls" except those conspicuously stuffed with caviar, or chopped spiced fish, and I stick pretty much to the Nigiri sushi with succulent pieces of shrimp, eel, whitfish, tuna, salmon and octiopus atop the rice wedge.
They also offer a nice sashimi salad.

And the I hit the dozen hot dishes including several whole fish. And I think their crab soup is delicious.

Three types of gyoza are always kept piping hot.

And finally there is unlimited fruit and a counter of precious little dessert offerings. They used to offer delicious hand dipped chocolates but they stopped because I think people were filling their purses.

In truth, it is a guilty pleasure infrequently wallowed in. I'd eat more but the City does not offer forklift delivery back home. I have just enough left in me to crawl to the subway.

I consider a meal at Ichiumi a BERLINER (combination of breakfast, lunch and dinner.)

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-16-2014 at 07:31 AM..

Old 02-16-2014, 11:32 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,104 times
Quote:
This is straw man fallacy.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:08 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,738 times
Kefir, if you think there is no difference between chinese buffet sushi and sushi from a japanese master sushi chef, then you shouldn't even be in this conversation.

Its like saying there is no difference between Outback steakhouse and Lugers.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Kefir, if you think there is no difference between chinese buffet sushi and sushi from a japanese master sushi chef, then you shouldn't even be in this conversation.

Its like saying there is no difference between Outback steakhouse and Lugers.

So then fly to Tokyo for some REALLY good sushi AND a slab of Kobe Steak and then you can mock some fool who touts Peter Luger's tough meat and laugh hilariously at the next person who suggest you can get edible sushi in New York.

It's all in context, dude.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
So then fly to Tokyo for some REALLY good sushi AND a slab of Kobe Steak and then you can mock some fool who touts Peter Luger's tough meat and laugh hilariously at the next person who suggest you can get edible sushi in New York.

It's all in context, dude.
Then why are you even going to Ichiumi? By your comparison, it's actually cheaper to just buy one pound of raw Salmon at $7/pound and slice it up home. That's exactly what Ichiumi uses for their raw salmon.

Since what you said there's no difference in quality why do you pay $28 to eat at Ichiumi when you can eat a pound of Salmon at home for $7

The sushi made at Ichiumi I can roll myself at home cheap, I'm not a skilled sushi chef but I can make those rolls they make at Ichiumi.

I do buy my own sushi grade tuna and they are $36/pound and Ichiumi does not serve those.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:12 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
For most people, spending an insane amount of money on sushi is like spending an insane amount of money on wine. My friend, who is in the know, tells me that there are outstanding bottles of wine at good wine stores for less than $20. So do you really need to spend over 100 bucks on sushi when the 35 buck places are nearly as good or as good?

Old 02-21-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
For most people, spending an insane amount of money on sushi is like spending an insane amount of money on wine. My friend, who is in the know, tells me that there are outstanding bottles of wine at good wine stores for less than $20. So do you really need to spend over 100 bucks on sushi when the 35 buck places are nearly as good or as good?
I agree about wine but for sushi it depends what you eat. There are lots of cheap places that use good rice, seaweed, and good rolling skills. For sashimi, other than buying your own meat you won't find quality sashimi for $20-35. $50+, they will give you good pieces of high grade meat otherwise you have to buy your own meat from a fish market.

I was eating sushi at a Japanese run restaurant and their California roll uses real snow crab meat and it was only $9 for a roll, while most places charge $4-6 and use the fake crab meat. I much rather eat the one with real crab meat and it wasn't that expensive you just need to know where to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City