Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 10:51 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times

Advertisements

To the OP, this may help you with your decision, good luck

//www.city-data.com/forum/renti...l-records.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 12:34 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshoe View Post
I understand. I was responding to a general statement made that was completely fallacious. But related to this particular case, college graduates also have much higher rates of job stability.
A college graduate could get married and move to Arizona. It may not work out if he rents to a college graduate.

And I'm a college graduate and I'm one of the biggest jerks around. And I've known my share of other college graduate jerks. Its silly our current society tries to say college graduate=good person. That's not true. At the end of the day we are individuals, not statistics.

Most Americans don't have college degrees. To imply people are not worthy of housing because they don't have degrees is just lame. I can see criminal record being a cause for apprehension, but lack of a college degree? Come on, that's just lame. The college degree stuff should not even be a part of this debate.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 02-16-2014 at 01:54 AM..

Old 02-16-2014, 02:01 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
To the OP, this may help you with your decision, good luck

//www.city-data.com/forum/renti...l-records.html
How is that helping? A bunch of strangers on the net saying they would never rent out to a criminal no matter what?

As this guy has an apartment in Brownsville, he is likely going to have to rent out to someone with some sort of criminal past OR who is on a government program.

Unless people on this thread are willing to rent out his apartments, stop trying to tear the guy apart for being in a difficult position and considering a tenant with a checkered past in the city's WORST neighborhood.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:50 AM

25 posts, read 237,224 times
No. Let me rephrase that... HELL NO. How recent was the last jail sentence? He needs a place right away from.where he is leaving.... ummmmm red flag. I wouldn't rent to him. Sorry.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:54 AM

25 posts, read 237,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How old is he? Usually people mellow with age, even violent thugs.

Lmao.NO.THEY DON'T!!! HAVE YOU SEEN THE SEX OFFENDERS AND MURDERERS LATELY??? Lmao

Old 02-16-2014, 06:06 AM

384 posts, read 512,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A college graduate could get married and move to Arizona. It may not work out if he rents to a college graduate.
You're reading an awful lot of things that I didn't write into what I posted. I was responding to a particular post that attempted to whitewash the differences between the prospects of a college graduate and an ex-con.

Quote:
And I'm a college graduate and I'm one of the biggest jerks around. And I've known my share of other college graduate jerks.
Can't argue with that.

Quote:
Its silly our current society tries to say college graduate=good person.
Whew, good thing I never said that. I don't even think "society" says that. I just made a point about a college graduate's prospects compared to an ex-con's.

Quote:
At the end of the day we are individuals, not statistics.
Couldn't agree more. However, statistics are incredibly helpful, especially when there are trends in them that can help us make informed decisions. Also, the individual in this instance murdered someone, ya know.

Quote:
Most Americans don't have college degrees. To imply people are not worthy of housing because they don't have degrees is just lame.
Again, I never said that.

Quote:
I can see criminal record being a cause for apprehension, but lack of a college degree? Come on, that's just lame. The college degree stuff should not even be a part of this debate.
Again, I never made that argument. Someone else introduced the comparison.

OP, at the end of the day, you are the person assuming risk by renting to this person. It's heartening to hear from so many empathetic people in this thread who would like to give this person a second chance. Of course, it's easier to empathize with the ex-con when it isn't your own livelihood on the line.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
So Murder 1 conviction. That's premeditated Murder and we must presume he is out on parole. What is the typical earliest a person can be parolled in NYS for such a crime?
I assume that the sentence was at LEAST a life sentence. From what I have read, with mitigationg factors to avoid Life Without Parole or Death, the minimum time served will be 20-25 years in New York State before possibility of parole and likely reporting to a parole officer for the rest of his life.

The guy has paid quite a price and has had a LOT of time to think about the meaning of life.

But whether one wants to be a good Samaritan taking a risk in helping out someone in really bad straits, or be the guy who steps over a dying guy on a curb is for each person to choose for himself.

I would like to hear WHO the guy killed and WHY.

But in truth, I am a pretty good Samaritan, but I doubt that I would rent to the man. Knowing that makes me a little sad, but it is what it is.

Does the state provide any half way houses for people caught in this trap?

Old 02-16-2014, 07:27 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshoe View Post
The employment prospects of a recent college graduate and an ex-convict are basically inverse. According to BLS, by October 2011, in the depths of the recession, about 75% of college students who graduated in 2011 had jobs. The unemployment rate for ex-felons in their first year after release is generally around 75%.
That's on a national scale...find what the numbers are in NYC for me and we'll talk (since we are in the NYC forum). And since you did not touch my other point regarding credit history, I take it as you agree with me.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-16-2014, 07:30 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
There's plenty of problem tenants who don't even have a criminal record! Food for thought.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-16-2014, 09:13 AM

384 posts, read 512,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
That's on a national scale...find what the numbers are in NYC for me and we'll talk (since we are in the NYC forum). And since you did not touch my other point regarding credit history, I take it as you agree with me.
Regarding ex-cons in New York State:

Quote:
As a result, statistics show that one year after release up to 60% of formerly incarcerated people are unemployed, as are 89% of those who violate the terms of their parole or probation.
- Report and Recommendations to New York State on Enhancing Employment Opportunities for Formerly Incarcerated People

I'm unable to find isolated employment rates for recent college graduates in New York City or New York State, though it is hard it imagine they would depart significantly from the national average, which again, is an employment rate of 75% less than a year after graduation.

Some other things to consider which are raised in the study I linked above:

1. An ex-con who committed a violent crime will often have to pay restitution or rewards from a civil trial to the victim's family.

2. The majority of convicts are non-custodial fathers, meaning they are required to pay child support.

A question for my own edification: Why do you suppose banks offer college students loans and credit cards? Why do they take on that risk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City