Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2014, 04:40 PM

252 posts, read 607,742 times

Advertisements

I wouldnt. And you having to second guess it and ask people on a forum shows that you are not too sure about it either. I agree with the poster that said you feel bad for him, but feel bad for the family of the person he killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 05:18 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay24/7 View Post
Why not ?, not trying to be funny, I'm just really wrestling with this, I feel a little guilty -it's like I'm discriminating against him because of his past
Exactly.

What if you rent to someone else and that person commits a violent crime? THen what? Or what if this person has truly been rehabilitated and has been an upstanding law abiding citizen since serving time?

You truly don't know.

Also, do you know any information concerning the murder? Was it done in self defense? Was it b/c he murdered someone who had been hurt by someone else (eg his sister's ex boyfriend who beat her daily)?. Again, you don't know.

Perhaps getting some legitimate, verifiable references might help you make a clearer decision?

Old 02-16-2014, 05:21 PM

106 posts, read 155,688 times
Heck no

Old 02-16-2014, 05:37 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
For those of you are in such opposition to this man renting out to the ex con, really, why?

Its not your bank account, and its not your building. Ultimately its the OP's choice.

Some of you just have the man that an ex con should be homeless for the rest of his life, and should be endlessly punished for a crime.

I have no idea what this particular ex con will do in the future. But I do know that giving people second chances isn't bad, and no one should be made to feel guilty just for willing to take a chance on someone. It may or may not work out, I'm not psychic so I can't say.

But anyone who lives in Brownsville knows its a rough neighborhood. So why is there opposition to someone renting out to an ex con in a rough neighborhood? Like it or not these people have to live somewhere. if they get jobs they should definitely not stay in government sponsored housing for the rest of their lives.
let him live in NYCHA where the rest of the ex and revolving door cons live. he'll be in perfect company. this decision to let him live in a private dwelling is wrong, because if he kills again, the landlord will be in a lot of heat, by his/her surrounding community, and law enforcement.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:50 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
let him live in NYCHA where the rest of the ex and revolving door cons live. he'll be in perfect company. this decision to let him live in a private dwelling is wrong, because if he kills again, the landlord will be in a lot of heat, by his/her surrounding community, and law enforcement.
Private dwellings in Brownsville and other low income neighborhoods are full of convicted criminals and other problem tenants.

Also, it could take 10 years to get an apartment in NYCHA. There's a massive backlog. This man will end up renting a private apartment from a landlord. Maybe it will be the OP. Or maybe the OP will decide against it. Maybe it will be a slumlord who just doesn't care. But at some point I'll get a private apartment.

And for the record, just because someone is an ex con does not mean they should be on government support (NYCHA forever). Come to think of it, NYCHA does not rent out to people who have felonies. I knew a drug dealer who lost his NYCHA apartment. People like that first move into halfway houses, and then they find a private landlord in a bad neighborhood who will rent out to them.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:57 AM

99 posts, read 144,009 times
This is why FELONS never get a fair shot.
Did you know chances are less than 1% that man will do harm to you?
The person that will MURDER you will be someone you know.

People look at me crazy and i have to explain my whole life story because a DUI charge is now considered a felony. I can imagine the stuff poor guy has to go through. Everybody wants to be his parole officer nowadays. Everyone deserves a second chance. Remember some of the most loyal, honest, moral, hard working people have been to jail. People dont commit crimes on random stranger especially when unprovoked. Dont listen to all these people telling you No. "Attempted murder" is even better because atleast you know he had no intention of killing someone and only shot him from the waist down. (The last sentence is obv. a joke but loosen up and rent to the guy. I had a guy like that once as my tenant and he only asked in exchange for timely rent that i dont 'up' the rent when its time to renew his lease. He stayed for years and i had no issues with him. My fiance was always leery of him and thought he was suspicious but i didnt notice.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:54 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateNYPD View Post
This is why FELONS never get a fair shot.
Did you know chances are less than 1% that man will do harm to you?
The person that will MURDER you will be someone you know.

People look at me crazy and i have to explain my whole life story because a DUI charge is now considered a felony. I can imagine the stuff poor guy has to go through. Everybody wants to be his parole officer nowadays. Everyone deserves a second chance. Remember some of the most loyal, honest, moral, hard working people have been to jail. People dont commit crimes on random stranger especially when unprovoked. Dont listen to all these people telling you No. "Attempted murder" is even better because atleast you know he had no intention of killing someone and only shot him from the waist down. (The last sentence is obv. a joke but loosen up and rent to the guy. I had a guy like that once as my tenant and he only asked in exchange for timely rent that i dont 'up' the rent when its time to renew his lease. He stayed for years and i had no issues with him. My fiance was always leery of him and thought he was suspicious but i didnt notice.

Keep the con dump the fiance'... she probably is no good anyway.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:24 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Fewer people are actually enrolling in college, and applications to the Ivy League itself have been dropping. Dartmouth Applications Drop After Tumultuous Year of Protests - Bloomberg

But are those numbers being supplemented by the for-profit schools like the University of Phoenix (600,000 students in 2010) who will take people in an irreversible coma as long as they have a federally guaranteed student loan, which you get by showing that you still have a pulse.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:31 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
But are those numbers being supplemented by the for-profit schools like the University of Phoenix (600,000 students in 2010) who will take people in an irreversible coma as long as they have a federally guaranteed student loan, which you get by showing that you still have a pulse.
Overall, all students from high school going to any school post high school has dropped, according to that article. They were including for profit schools.

There's plenty of attention on what happens to graduates of schools like the University of Phoenix, who generally never have the ability to pay off their student loans.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:10 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Overall, all students from high school going to any school post high school has dropped, according to that article. They were including for profit schools.

There's plenty of attention on what happens to graduates of schools like the University of Phoenix, who generally never have the ability to pay off their student loans.
I'm trying to understand your point here. The article mentions "The number of U.S. high school graduates began to fall with the Class of 2012" and then if you follow the link to the report where that information came from, you see that this is "due largely to the decline in births since 2008 and slowing immigration during our current recession"

So, yes, fewer people going to high school in the first place because of a drop in population is going to mean fewer people graduate. Of course. What does that have to do with this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City