Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:30 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay24/7 View Post
OK, I dug deeper, he killed someone in a fight, did 30 years in jail, and it was murder 2 not 1,I have a two unit spot upstairs, both self contained, I did the background check because I'm a complete newbie at this business and NY being a tenant state I was worried about getting a bad tenant,it was a suggestion from a forum here actually that gave me the idea to do a credit check, but I saw this bundle deal and went for it, I was taken aback when I saw the info, which is why I came back to the board to see if I was over reacting,(I mean , which landlord doesn't have convicted felon tenants :-) but the guy did his time , got out of jail, and is trying to be righteous, the lack of credit was going to be my deal breaker, I looked at some of the responses, they made logical points , so I called him to say the deal was off, but he was persuasive, he has got someone to be a guarantor and I'm going for a month to month lease, I spoke to his parole officer, someone will be checking in on him regularly and as she pointed out, if it doesn't work out, it's a month to month lease and I'm going to ask for 1st , last and deposit, he has agreed to direct deposit into a bank account so I'm hoping it will work out, and yeah, the place is def not the Ritz, but for what it's worth it's mine and the banks, so I need to start generating income asap. Thanks for the advice guys, if it doesn't work out and there's something on the news about a dead landlord point the cops to the board LOL
Good luck Beejay, and don't worry about it we got your back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 03:03 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
Murder Convict, eh?

Nope.avi

If it's white collar crime however, you should expect rent payments in advance.
He already rented out to him, so it's a bit late for no.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:23 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
This story made me think of this thread. Hope all is well with the OP:
Suspect in 8-year-old murder case of Brooklyn landlord taken into police custody* - NY Daily News

Old 04-01-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
This story made me think of this thread. Hope all is well with the OP:
Suspect in 8-year-old murder case of Brooklyn landlord taken into police custody* - NY Daily News
Dude, why'd you go out and post that? Why are people on this forum so negative?

Statistically speaking you're more likely to be killed by family or by a spouse/lover than a "criminal".

Old 04-01-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Dude, why'd you go out and post that? Why are people on this forum so negative?
Dude, why'd you malign my post? Why are you so negative?

Old 04-01-2014, 09:33 PM

898 posts, read 1,218,098 times
no

Old 04-02-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Dude, why'd you malign my post? Why are you so negative?
The OP rented out to an ex con. You implied he would be murdered. Well, he's already rented out to him and it's too late for him to change that.

So there's no point in implying he'll be killed when there's nothing that can be done to change things. You should just wish him luck.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
You implied he would be murdered.
I did not.
Quote:
You should just wish him luck.
I did.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:54 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
This person was institutionalized for 30 freakin' years! You just don't come out ready to live in society after 30 years imprisonment.

I think the this LL is naive and has pie in the sky dreams of uninterrupted rent checks coming. I do hope things work out for him but he's not starting out too well.

Just because someone has done time doesn't mean he should automatically get everything thrown at his feet. One needs to prove they are rehibilatated by being the utmost in character. The ex-con lied by omission prior to getting the apartment and I wonder if it were true if the half way house wanted him out due to overcrowding. Perhaps he was a problem while there.

I guess the LL won't have to worry too much since he doesn't have to live next to him. Only the unsuspecting person who rents the LL's apartment next to the ex con may encounter their neighbor's way of living is to abide by prison/street rules instead of societal rules.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:00 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
This person was institutionalized for 30 freakin' years! You just don't come out ready to live in society after 30 years imprisonment.

I think the this LL is naive and has pie in the sky dreams of uninterrupted rent checks coming. I do hope things work out for him but he's not starting out too well.

Just because someone has done time doesn't mean he should automatically get everything thrown at his feet. One needs to prove they are rehibilatated by being the utmost in character. The ex-con lied by omission prior to getting the apartment and I wonder if it were true if the half way house wanted him out due to overcrowding. Perhaps he was a problem while there.

I guess the LL won't have to worry too much since he doesn't have to live next to him. Only the unsuspecting person who rents the LL's apartment next to the ex con may encounter their neighbor's way of living is to abide by prison/street rules instead of societal rules.

OK Dr Phil---- isn't it fun to pretend we know what we are talking about when you have no frekin clue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City