Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:14 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay24/7 View Post
but he was persuasive, he has got someone to be a guarantor and I'm going for a month to month lease,
Are you going to do a credit check on the guarantor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 11:14 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
Don't worry, the OP will learn a tough lesson soon. You watch. This is a result of being desperate to rent the apartment without thinking. The OP will learn the hard way.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:17 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,401,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Don't worry, the OP will learn a tough lesson soon. You watch. This is a result of being desperate to rent the apartment without thinking. The OP will learn the hard way.
You mean when he's six feet under? I hope he's not seriously considering this. I've learned the hard way that if you are renting out your property to someone NEVER EVER take sympathy into consideration. Play it safe and rent to someone that has a good credit history and no felonies or don't rent it at all. You will be sorry in NY if you do.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:23 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
OK, I dug deeper, he killed someone in a fight, did 30 years in jail, and it was murder 2 not 1,I have a two unit spot upstairs, both self contained, I did the background check because I'm a complete newbie at this business and NY being a tenant state I was worried about getting a bad tenant,it was a suggestion from a forum here actually that gave me the idea to do a credit check, but I saw this bundle deal and went for it, I was taken aback when I saw the info, which is why I came back to the board to see if I was over reacting,(I mean , which landlord doesn't have convicted felon tenants :-) but the guy did his time , got out of jail, and is trying to be righteous, the lack of credit was going to be my deal breaker, I looked at some of the responses, they made logical points , so I called him to say the deal was off, but he was persuasive, he has got someone to be a guarantor and I'm going for a month to month lease, I spoke to his parole officer, someone will be checking in on him regularly and as she pointed out, if it doesn't work out, it's a month to month lease and I'm going to ask for 1st , last and deposit, he has agreed to direct deposit into a bank account so I'm hoping it will work out, and yeah, the place is def not the Ritz, but for what it's worth it's mine and the banks, so I need to start generating income asap. Thanks for the advice guys, if it doesn't work out and there's something on the news about a dead landlord point the cops to the board LOL
There's a lot you left out. First of all, if a guy gets out of jail after 30 years he's probably need ready for an apartment. He needs to move into a halfway house. If he can get job and be stable, then he can talk about renting an apartment. But you mentioned no job, and this must be an older man after doing 30 years.

So where is his income coming from? Is the guy on SSI and Section 8? Where is the guarantor's income coming from?

Lastly, are most of your tenants making enough money to pay their rent, or many of them on government programs? If you mainly rent out to people on government programs, then yes, I understand your decision. It fits to the type of person you rent out to. Some landlords use government programs to pay the mortgage on the property they bought.

With that said, there's not a right or wrong here. Its ultimately your property and your decision.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 02-15-2014 at 01:30 AM..

Old 02-15-2014, 01:28 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
With all that said on this forum, ex cons have to live somewhere too. When people get out of jail they just don't cease to exist. I do hope things work out for the OP. In all likelihood after 30 years in the slammer he won't do anything violent to the OP. If he does something stupid the OP can call his parole officer and he's straight back in jail with his record.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:03 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Darwinism at its finest. This thread is hilarious. I'm truly astonished that people actually exist who would consider dealing with a known murderer. The people of this city will never cease to amaze me.

So detached from reality that they don't realize they only have one life to life and not even willing to make a "controversial" decision to protect it. Weird. I'm just glad I still can't understand this mindset. It means I haven't been poisoned.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:31 AM

103 posts, read 226,205 times
The guy is working two jobs, he's in a halfway house but he has to move because they need to lodge other people.The apartment is in Brownsville, as my contractor pointed out, he'll fit right in with the neighborhood, what was I thinking when I invested my life savings into buying this property ?,I thought well it's just down the road from Atlantic Ave,which is undergoing gentrification, there'll be a lot of foot traffic, I know, I know, if only I had known about the info I'm getting from the boards here BEFORE I bought, I had no idea about the crime rate and problems, but now I'm stuck, I am trying to take all the precautions I can, I got security cameras and alarms, after some crackheads stripped the copper pipes from the building, I intend to employ a security guard to hang around a couple of nights a week, heck, I might even get my prospective tenant to do it, he's already proven he can do hard time ;-). I haven't advertised either unit but people who see the renovations have been dropping by, and are being turned away - I already decided I didn't want section 8, or single young parent with child- my contractor's an old Irish guy who's been a landlord, he pointed out that you take a young woman and you have to deal with boyfriends moving in and babydaddy drama, and these are studios, not set up for a bunch of people, they've been nicely renovated , I want to keep them that way, and hopefully with this guy producing some income I can afford to hold out for a tenant with a solid employment history and decent credit in the second unit, if things work out and business does ok, I might just switch to air bnb and just rent out to students from abroad coming in for the summer. I do appreciate the advice and comments, some of them crack me up,as to why I feel compelled to help this potential trainwreck, well I had an old teacher that used to say, we are all just one bad decision away from disaster, and I'm keenly aware that if it weren't for an old school dad that put a foot up my behind when I needed it, my life could have gone in a completely different direction

Old 02-15-2014, 07:03 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Are you familiar with tenant laws in NYC? This apartment is in NYC and it's very difficult to evict if you need to. It's generous to want to give him a hand with his re-entry to society, but if I were a small, first-time landlord in NYC, there is NO WAY I would take this risk. All you have to do is look through the threads on this board to read stories of new, small NYC landlords who have gotten stuck with some deadbeat tenant who they can't get rid of without losing significant amounts of time and money.

As another poster said, it's much less risky to give someone like this a job, because if they don't perform or otherwise screw up, you can just let them go. Not so with a tenant.
Based on all the threads on this board I would not rent to a lot of people here based on their right wing politics. Do any of you yahoos have guns in your home--- I bet lots of people here who are saying no way are not people that I would want to have in my home. Get off your high horses and consider the facts none of which you know here. Bottom line investigate this applicant and make a decision based on the facts.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Darwinism at its finest. This thread is hilarious. I'm truly astonished that people actually exist who would consider dealing with a known murderer. The people of this city will never cease to amaze me.

So detached from reality that they don't realize they only have one life to life and not even willing to make a "controversial" decision to protect it. Weird. I'm just glad I still can't understand this mindset. It means I haven't been poisoned.

I would even consider renting to a conservative republican... so go figure.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
The guy is working two jobs, he's in a halfway house but he has to move because they need to lodge other people.The apartment is in Brownsville, as my contractor pointed out, he'll fit right in with the neighborhood, what was I thinking when I invested my life savings into buying this property ?,I thought well it's just down the road from Atlantic Ave,which is undergoing gentrification, there'll be a lot of foot traffic, I know, I know, if only I had known about the info I'm getting from the boards here BEFORE I bought, I had no idea about the crime rate and problems, but now I'm stuck, I am trying to take all the precautions I can, I got security cameras and alarms, after some crackheads stripped the copper pipes from the building, I intend to employ a security guard to hang around a couple of nights a week, heck, I might even get my prospective tenant to do it, he's already proven he can do hard time ;-). I haven't advertised either unit but people who see the renovations have been dropping by, and are being turned away - I already decided I didn't want section 8, or single young parent with child- my contractor's an old Irish guy who's been a landlord, he pointed out that you take a young woman and you have to deal with boyfriends moving in and babydaddy drama, and these are studios, not set up for a bunch of people, they've been nicely renovated , I want to keep them that way, and hopefully with this guy producing some income I can afford to hold out for a tenant with a solid employment history and decent credit in the second unit, if things work out and business does ok, I might just switch to air bnb and just rent out to students from abroad coming in for the summer. I do appreciate the advice and comments, some of them crack me up,as to why I feel compelled to help this potential trainwreck, well I had an old teacher that used to say, we are all just one bad decision away from disaster, and I'm keenly aware that if it weren't for an old school dad that put a foot up my behind when I needed it, my life could have gone in a completely different direction

Renting out short term (less than 30 days) is illegal in this city. That is what you get mostly on Airbnb, You knew that right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City