Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 10:24 PM

544 posts, read 1,526,590 times

Advertisements

'Long range de Blasio forecast: one term': Al Roker blasts mayor for putting children in danger by keeping schools open during blizzard

Seriously, I don't understand what it is to gain by keep schools open on such a day, when obviously many were expected to be absent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 08:20 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
'Long range de Blasio forecast: one term': Al Roker blasts mayor for putting children in danger by keeping schools open during blizzard

Seriously, I don't understand what it is to gain by keep schools open on such a day, when obviously many were expected to be absent.
People are such wusses, put on a pair of boots already and dress appropriately and you'll find that you can get pretty much anywhere. City buses & school buses were working fine, subways were working with minimal delays. No reason to cancel school, if the snow & rain bothers you that much then just keep your kid at home, nobody is going to say anything to you for it

Old 02-14-2014, 08:40 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Darth Roker

Old 02-14-2014, 08:45 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
People are such wusses, put on a pair of boots already and dress appropriately and you'll find that you can get pretty much anywhere. City buses & school buses were working fine, subways were working with minimal delays. No reason to cancel school, if the snow & rain bothers you that much then just keep your kid at home, nobody is going to say anything to you for it
When there's a ton of snow out there and you force parents and kids to go out it seriously impairs the sanitation dept's ability to clear the roads.

People complain NYC's slow snow response, you can't have plows and traffic all out there working against each other.

Not a smart move for NYC when they have so much snow to remove and the snow didn't stop until the twilight of morning. It would be a better idea to either close or delay school opening.

Imagine snow plows have to go out and face school buses and parents cars blocking roads.

That's why in NJ, most schools are closed to keep traffic to a min and allow snow plows to quickly get their jobs done.

The governor declared state of emergency too to keep people off the roads, it's dangerous out and NYC has a couple of deaths weather related all could be avoided..

Old 02-14-2014, 08:49 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
It's those families who have to show up for work and depend on the school for child care who needed schools to be open. And NYC has lots of such people. The mayor had a point in that so many people would have also been impacted if schools were closed. Had he stuck to that story and not pass the blame on the weather service then he would have come out looking more credible.

I would not give weight on what Al Roker says. Unless the NYC economy sinks and jobs languish then there's no reason for BDB to be 1 term.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:02 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Not a smart move for NYC when they have so much snow to remove and the snow didn't stop until the twilight of morning. It would be a better idea to either close or delay school opening.
Except that there was maybe half a foot down in the morning and school buses were working just fine. And let's not forget most kids go to their zoned school in the neighborhood and the vast majority are within walking distance. People just freak out with snow, it's completely irrational

Old 02-14-2014, 09:57 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
It's those families who have to show up for work and depend on the school for child care who needed schools to be open. And NYC has lots of such people. The mayor had a point in that so many people would have also been impacted if schools were closed. Had he stuck to that story and not pass the blame on the weather service then he would have come out looking more credible.

I would not give weight on what Al Roker says. Unless the NYC economy sinks and jobs languish then there's no reason for BDB to be 1 term.
a lot can happen in 1 term

Old 02-14-2014, 11:24 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Except that there was maybe half a foot down in the morning and school buses were working just fine. And let's not forget most kids go to their zoned school in the neighborhood and the vast majority are within walking distance. People just freak out with snow, it's completely irrational
That's not that point, there are many vehicle accidents yesterday and it does not involve high speed. All of them are local street traffic accident that could be all avoided if less people are outside. In snowy conditions, regardless a bus, SUV, or tractor can get out with ease but they could not avoid other cars and people if the conditions aren't favorable.

How about the pregnant woman that was killed by a snow plow tractor? That could've been kids walking to or from school.

I used to live in the city and I never get snow days off because I can take the subway to get to school. But now I'm an adult and I realize it's quite dangerous out there in these conditions and I would not want to risk my kids out there.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:39 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post

Didn't he also say that the schools are open for those children who go in for the breakfast program so they can eat?

Old 02-14-2014, 11:43 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

How about the pregnant woman that was killed by a snow plow tractor? That could've been kids walking to or from school.

But now I'm an adult and I realize it's quite dangerous out there in these conditions and I would not want to risk my kids out there.
so you can make a decision if its safe?.....and others seemingly can't make decisions & await for De Blasio to make statements?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: