Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 11:36 PM

19 posts, read 38,251 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Manhattan, but recently got a job in Brooklyn. Since living in Manhattan won't even be convenient anymore, I'd like to move and, I'd really like to exchange apartment life for something treelined and spacious. I'm considering various NJ towns, as well as the Forest Hill section of Newark (which I hear both good and terrible things about).

Figuring out the commute is driving me nuts though. If I travel by car, it's supposedly 25 minutes, which is awesome. By train it's over an hour, so that's a significant difference I'd like to avoid. I do have a car, but I'll be working a government job and money won't exactly be flowing. Spending $11 (and $12.75 two years from now!) per trip on the Holland Tunnel every day sounds a little ridiculous.

I just want to make sure there aren't other options. I was kind of surprised there wasn't a monthly pass, or some sort of bulk buying program, the way there is with metro cards.

Just wanted to make sure that this is correct. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 11:56 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Twenty-five minutes from NJ to Brooklyn? In what world and at what time? *LOL*

You *might* make it through one of the tunnels and into Manhattan in twenty-five minutes and even to the Brooklyn Bridge or Battery Tunnel, but can't see you getting from much of NJ to Brooklyn in that period of time.

As for cost you can get discounts on most Hudson, East River and other crossings/bridges via EZ-Pass.

Depending where in Brooklyn and how much you want to spend the fastest way would be through one of the Hudson River tunnels then take Brooklyn or Williamsburg bridges (free). Usually a bit faster but will add cost is to take the Battery Tunnel (toll).

Depending upon where in NJ you are travelling from and time of day it *might* be faster to take the SI Expressway over the VNB (free) into Brooklyn or onto the Belt Parkway or Gowanus. You'll pay a toll over the Jersey bridges to get on the Rock, but after that nothing. However given the traffic on SI and construction on SIE would not recommend this route during rush hour.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:09 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
You can get there quickly but not during rush hour. You're going the same direction as everyone else.

Any reason why you don't want to move somewhere tree-lined and spacious in Brooklyn?

Old 02-16-2014, 06:01 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I worked a couple days a week near Forest Hills in Newark (Bellville) once upon a time and I could not get from there to Jersey City in 25 minutes. That was long ago and traffic has only gotten worse since.
Yes the housing stock is beautiful but it belies a ghetto.

Anywhere near rush-hour it's at least a 90 minute trip to anywhere in Brooklyn.
Forest Hills, as I recall, is not particularly public transit friendly either.

Don't do it to yourself, the commute will ruin your life. Stay in Manhattan and use public transportation.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:07 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annchry View Post
I currently live in Manhattan, but recently got a job in Brooklyn. Since living in Manhattan won't even be convenient anymore, I'd like to move and, I'd really like to exchange apartment life for something treelined and spacious. I'm considering various NJ towns, as well as the Forest Hill section of Newark (which I hear both good and terrible things about).

Figuring out the commute is driving me nuts though. If I travel by car, it's supposedly 25 minutes, which is awesome. By train it's over an hour, so that's a significant difference I'd like to avoid. I do have a car, but I'll be working a government job and money won't exactly be flowing. Spending $11 (and $12.75 two years from now!) per trip on the Holland Tunnel every day sounds a little ridiculous.

I just want to make sure there aren't other options. I was kind of surprised there wasn't a monthly pass, or some sort of bulk buying program, the way there is with metro cards.

Is Queens simply not an option for you to live? Does it have to be NJ?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-16-2014, 10:49 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,319 times
Quote:

where is the job in Brooklyn---- as others have said opting for NJ will be both time consuming and expensive.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:42 PM

22 posts, read 37,954 times
If you move to NJ here's what I would suggest. You can drive and park your car close to Newark Penn Station. Take the Path Train ($80 for 30-day unlimited ride) to 33rd st. NYC. Transfer from there to trains B,D,F,M,N,Q & R.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:01 PM

19 posts, read 38,251 times
Hey thanks for the suggestions. I'll be working right at the edge of Brooklyn- the Jay Street stop. And no, NJ isn't a must. What is a must is space. I have two dogs and I love them, but it's really time for a backyard to make things easier, and one of the postage stamp NY ones just won't do. I also need a commute that's less than an hour. I'm okay if that commute is public transport or driving. Massive bonus points if it could be closer to 30 minutes, but I know something has to give.

As far as everything else, I'm pretty flexible. I could buy a place for about 300-350k. Or I could rent, just as long as dog friendly and under $2k per month. This isn't much of a budget in NYC, which is why I was looking outside. Doesn't need to be particularly impressive in either case. Just some space, inside and outside, and a reasonable commute.

Where should I go?

This may or may not complicate things. Currently I live in the UWS in the 70s. I lucked into a 2 bedroom rent stabilized and pay about 2k. I know it's a great deal, and I'm loathe to leave it. I know lots of people wouldn't. But I'm just done with the cramped apartment life. And my landlord has offered me 50k to buy out my lease, so I'm leaning that way... But if that seems crazy I'll hear that advice too.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:46 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Hey thanks for the suggestions. I'll be working right at the edge of Brooklyn- the Jay Street stop. And no, NJ isn't a must. What is a must is space. I have two dogs and I love them, but it's really time for a backyard to make things easier, and one of the postage stamp NY ones just won't do. I also need a commute that's less than an hour. I'm okay if that commute is public transport or driving. Massive bonus points if it could be closer to 30 minutes, but I know something has to give.

As far as everything else, I'm pretty flexible. I could buy a place for about 300-350k. Or I could rent, just as long as dog friendly and under $2k per month. This isn't much of a budget in NYC, which is why I was looking outside. Doesn't need to be particularly impressive in either case. Just some space, inside and outside, and a reasonable commute.

Where should I go?

This may or may not complicate things. Currently I live in the UWS in the 70s. I lucked into a 2 bedroom rent stabilized and pay about 2k. I know it's a great deal, and I'm loathe to leave it. I know lots of people wouldn't. But I'm just done with the cramped apartment life. And my landlord has offered me 50k to buy out my lease, so I'm leaning that way... But if that seems crazy I'll hear that advice too.
You may wish to consider Staten Island (yes, I know but don't go by all the comments posted here). You can find a nice house with a back yard for around what you are looking to spend and pay less in taxes than say NJ. Commute wise it is a wash depending upon how far out on the Rock you go as it will determine options.

Fifty grand to buy out a RS lease on a two bedroom UWS apartment seems low. I'd try for something higher, but be prepared to accept and move if LL takes the bait. Ideally look for enough to make a good down payment on that home you are looking into. That is part of the twenty or so percent you'd be putting down.

No, you aren't crazy to give up a RS apartment for something larger elsewhere. Know plenty of persons that were "through" with Manhattan/NYC small apartments RS or not and just wanted to move on.

Quite honestly once you reach $2K per month or more in rent RS protections are more about determining rent increases and other protections that the statue provides. However you are getting close to the magic number of $2500 per month where a LL and file for luxury decontrol. If your income is less than the amount allowed you will be fine, but who wants to go through all that paperwork ever two or so years if a LL is determined to get the place out of RS.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Puzzled why the first place you thought of was NJ. Why not Long Island? The LIRR as a Brooklyn terminal, too. Though it could be a bit of a walk from your workplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City