Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 08:40 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
They've been there for decades. The area even had an Amusement park w/rides at one time.
I see. That must have been the draw these places originally catered to. Wondered how Sheepshead Bay had these places while nowhere else in the city did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 09:38 AM

39 posts, read 89,687 times
This thread is about the Russian speaking population of Sheepshead Bay so please stay on topic.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:42 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintercel091 View Post
This thread is about the Russian speaking population of Sheepshead Bay so please stay on topic.
If it helps the discussion, I know someone from Sheepshead Bay and he speaks Russian. He's from Moscow and is Jewish. I wonder if he likes hot roast beef? Probably can't get it with the cheese on top.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:13 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintercel091 View Post

We answered this the last time you brought up this topic.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ts-living.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-brighton.html

Why are you bringing it up again? Are you expecting us to give you different answers than the last time you brought it ?

Old 02-18-2014, 12:02 PM

39 posts, read 89,687 times
Quote:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ts-living.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-brighton.html

Why are you bringing it up again? Are you expecting us to give you different answers than the last time you brought it ?
I got disrespectful and silly answers from the last threads that weren't at all helpful.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:29 PM

929 posts, read 1,658,893 times
Quote:
Brighton Beach isn't Sheepshead Bay. Sheepshead Bay and Manhattan Beach are fairly close-knit neighborhoods though.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:04 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,471 times
Yes, there are quite a few non-Jewish Russians/Ukrainians/Former Soviet.

My ex-GF was from Belarus and was Russian ethnicity and not Jewish, and grew up in Bensonhurst (ok, not Sheepshead, but all of South Brooklyn has Russians).

Old 02-18-2014, 01:07 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,206 times
As long as you're just collecting anecdotes....someone on my mostly Russian block in Kensington plays Russian church music loudly sometimes. I bet that person is not Jewish.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Brighton Beach isn't Sheepshead Bay. Sheepshead Bay and Manhattan Beach are fairly close-knit neighborhoods though.
From Seagate to Manhattan Beach are all related to the group of Russians that arrived in the 70's. Its just different generations. All these neighborhoods border on each other and the Russian areas usually face the water. Not all people in each neighborhood is Russian. Most of the signage in the area is no longer in Russian. Give it about another 20 years and Russian speech won't be heard anymore. They are no longer Russians, they are Americans and that's it.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
As long as you're just collecting anecdotes....someone on my mostly Russian block in Kensington plays Russian church music loudly sometimes. I bet that person is not Jewish.
Actually from Foster Ave and Northward, the US gov't settled 100's of Russians there also in the 70's. So that person may be related to that group and found JC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City