Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 02:03 PM

22 posts, read 37,947 times

Advertisements

As much as possible when it comes to buying a house having parking (driveway) is key. Whether you sell in 5, 10 or 15 years people will always seek to have parking. Condos & Coops are readily accepted if it does not offer parking. Unless this house has something else going for it that other houses in the neighborhood doesn't, I would advice you to think real hard before buying this particular house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 02:12 PM

8,688 posts, read 11,076,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle villager View Post
I was thinking more for resale value of the house if you knew you were going to need to sell in 10 or 15 years.
depends on the area. Supply/demand

Go look for houses that have a no driveway, driveway, common driveway (shared), garage, no garage.. if the house is priced right, you can see the premium/discount of the property involved. This takes time to figure out...or you can have a trusted r/e broker tell you the price difference.

For example, in parts of flushing where parking is a premium, parking spaces in condo go for about 40-60 grand with its own deed. I know someone who bought a parking space in lower tribeca for 350k!

Old 02-20-2014, 02:25 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle villager View Post
Is it a really bad idea to buy any house that doesn't have its own garage or even a driveway, even if the house is in a part of Queens where street parking is easy?

If you knew you'd need to resell the house in 15 years, would you overpay a little right now in a seller's market for a neighborhood you really like but in which the only house you can get is one that didn't have its own parking, or would you move on to a less pricy neighborhood and try to find a house with a garage there?

Basically, does not having a parking spot hurt the resale of a house a lot or a little, if the street parking in the neighborhood is easy?
I think it really depends on where and the on street parking situation. I lived in Brooklyn Heights for 15 years and when I first moved there I garaged my car but as the cost rose I looked into and eventually started parking on the street. Where I lived I only had to worry about no parking for 4 hours in a week and the rest of the time I could just leave it. The key for me was that I did not need to use my car every day and did not have to look for a space every day. I found this situation quite easy to find a space because I learned the system how best to adapt to it.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:52 PM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times
If you don't mind taking your car to the car wash then go for it. Some people are opposed to taking their car to the car wash and rather wash it themselves. Also, you always run a risk of parking on the street (somebody dinging your car). So it's up to what you can tolerate.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-20-2014, 05:35 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Keep in mind that most people who buy in Middle Village like the area because it has a suburb feel but still very close to Manhattan. It is probably the closest neighborhood to Manhattan that still has this somewhat suburb of a landscape. And when you think of suburbs, you tend to have more than one car per household in which having a personal parking spot is very beneficial. If your not a close walk to the subway, you might want to find a property with a parking spot.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:59 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
I'm in Brooklyn but where I live, parking is not spectacular and it is just awful in some parts.

That being said, most houses seem to sell even without the driveway.

Regardless, there will be a buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: