Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 03:54 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,107 times

Advertisements

This is for a studio in an OK area in the Bronx. I get "preferential rent" which the max they can charge for the studio is like 1,200 or something.

I like the apartment and would like to stay but will the rent keep going up every year ???

I tried calling them and they couldn't negotiate because I " already have a good deal" which he claims he can charge $830 for it.

He said rents "have been rising" . Even though the NYT just reported Manhattan rents have decreased the 1st time in 2 years.

When I first signed the lease they offered me a 2 yr @ $775 ( which I didn't take good thing because it saved me money)

Should I keep a one year lease or sign a 2 year ??? How and what determines how much rents go up ???

What are the chances in a year that the increase will be higher than the $795 ??? I don't wanna just give these assh*les my money

Thanks for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 04:31 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
A lot can happen in 2 year. I would choose a 1 year lease.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:23 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,917 times
Where exactly in the Bronx are you renting, if you don't mind me asking? Because for $800(less in some cases,) I think you would be able to get a studio somewhere in Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights. All 3 Queens neighborhoods are better than most Bronx neighborhoods. Just my two cents.

Rents are not declining. Yes, there was a dip in rents these past few months, but that is most likely due to weather preventing many people from going out and viewing apartments. This happens every few years during the winter, but overall trend of rents is still increasing. That being said, what happens in Manhattan and in other popular neighborhoods in terms of rent, shouldn't affect you too much, so don't worry about it unless your neighborhood beings to gentrify quickly. If you're landlord tries to raise your rent dramatically, walk away as they are most likely trying to rip you off. If you live in a rent stabilized building, you can call the city and see if your rent increase falls under the legal limits.

Take the 1 year lease if you want to stay in your current studio but are considering moving sometime in the near future. You can use the year to explore other neighborhoods around the city. If you're happy where you are, take the two year lease. If you're not happy where you are and you don't like the increase, start looking at studio listings in other parts of the city now. The 3 neighborhoods I mentioned at the beginning of this post would be a good start.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:38 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Where exactly in the Bronx are you renting, if you don't mind me asking? Because for $800(less in some cases,) I think you would be able to get a studio somewhere in Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights. All 3 Queens neighborhoods are better than most Bronx neighborhoods. Just my two cents.

Rents are not declining. Yes, there was a dip in rents these past few months, but that is most likely due to weather preventing many people from going out and viewing apartments. This happens every few years during the winter, but overall trend of rents is still increasing. That being said, what happens in Manhattan and in other popular neighborhoods in terms of rent, shouldn't affect you too much, so don't worry about it unless your neighborhood beings to gentrify quickly. If you're landlord tries to raise your rent dramatically, walk away as they are most likely trying to rip you off. If you live in a rent stabilized building, you can call the city and see if your rent increase falls under the legal limits.

Take the 1 year lease if you want to stay in your current studio but are considering moving sometime in the near future. You can use the year to explore other neighborhoods around the city. If you're happy where you are, take the two year lease. If you're not happy where you are and you don't like the increase, start looking at studio listings in other parts of the city now. The 3 neighborhoods I mentioned at the beginning of this post would be a good start.
I know the rents pretty well in Jackson Heights. The going rate is around $1350 to $1400 for a studio now. This would be a studio in a rental building. There may be ways to get a $1100 studio if you go further outside the historic district, into East Elmhurst, or are willing to live in the basement of a house. But I have not seen a rent under $1000 in a few years.

My understanding is that Sunnyside rents are even higher than Jackson Heights, and not sure about Woodside, but guessing they are on par with Jackson Heights.

Craigslist Jackson Heights

Old 02-20-2014, 05:58 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I know the rents pretty well in Jackson Heights. The going rate is around $1350 to $1400 for a studio now. This would be a studio in a rental building. There may be ways to get a $1100 studio if you go further outside the historic district, into East Elmhurst, or are willing to live in the basement of a house. But I have not seen a rent under $1000 in a few years.

My understanding is that Sunnyside rents are even higher than Jackson Heights, and not sure about Woodside, but guessing they are on par with Jackson Heights.

Craigslist Jackson Heights
Sunnyside, or at least South Sunnyside still offers really good rents. The North side tends to be more expensive. Don't really only on craigslist for your rent searches, take a look around the neighborhood. Talk to different real estate agents in the area, look at all the rental sites. As long as you stay out of the historic buildings in the area, you should be able to find a studio for around $800 in those areas. Heck, the parts of Astoria farther from the train also offer studios for $800/$900. If you do your leg work, deals can be found in those neighborhoods.

A quick search on my trulia app already gave me a few studios for under $850 in those three neighborhoods. I'm sure that if anyone truly interested searched some more sites and did some leg work, they could find a studio in their price range.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Sunnyside, or at least South Sunnyside still offers really good rents. The North side tends to be more expensive. Don't really only on craigslist for your rent searches, take a look around the neighborhood. Talk to different real estate agents in the area, look at all the rental sites. As long as you stay out of the historic buildings in the area, you should be able to find a studio for around $800 in those areas. Heck, the parts of Astoria farther from the train also offer studios for $800/$900. If you do your leg work, deals can be found in those neighborhoods.
I'm not relying just on craigslist, but it was the easiest way I could illustrate my point for the purposes of this thread. I'm sorry, I believe you are wrong about rent prices in this area. But if OP or anyone else wants to investigate for themselves, then they should go ahead (of course).

Old 02-20-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:

A quick search on my trulia app already gave me a few studios for under $850 in those three neighborhoods. I'm sure that if anyone truly interested searched some more sites and did some leg work, they could find a studio in their price range.
I didn't see this part of your reply before.

I'm not sure why the Trulia website provides different from the app, but I looked on Trulia and the lowest one in Woodside is $1220. The lowest in JH is $1100, and there's only one of those; the rest are $1200 and up.

There is a fake listing in Sunnyside for $800 (I know it's fake because the floor plan is stolen from a condo that sold in Greenwich NY a year ago) and the rest in Sunnyside start at $1120.

I also have a personal friend (current Woodside resident living with family) who was looking in the $900 range for a studio more than a year ago and he found nothing in his range except for a basement rental in a house in Oakland Gardens. He did an actual search, in person, and not only on craigslist but also asking around since he grew up in the area. Keep in mind this was more than a year ago and prices have been climbing.

I feel it's better not to give people false hope.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:06 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I would take the one year lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: