Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:04 PM

11 posts, read 190,550 times

Advertisements

So I finally found an apartment in Harlem (W. 152nd Street) and will be moving there. When I walked around the area at night it seemed like an ok area and I didn't feel like I was in any sort of danger. I'm a 22 year old female. I only walked around there that one day so I want to get a better idea of what the area is like...Is any one familiar with it and could give me their input? I'm moving from out of state and was only in NY for a couple days so I only had a limited time to look at the area. From what I saw, it seemed like a mixed demographic with blacks and Hispanics.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 05:43 PM

229 posts, read 1,180,291 times
You'll be fine in Harlem. I used to live there and I'm from the rural south. Just keep in mind to use common sense while in the city, not just only in Harlem. Don't flash valuables and always remain aware of your surroundings. Welcome to New York!

Old 12-11-2007, 11:46 AM

18 posts, read 89,723 times
Yes just don't get caught up in being a "vistor"/"I just moved here" persona. You will then become a target. If you just act comfortable and go on about your business it is just like any other large city in America. Plus a lot of Harlem is being renovated so things are being changed for the better. Don't let people's scary stories make you uncomfortable. I lived in the city for half my life and I am still here to talk about it and will be moving back next summer.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:25 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
West 152nd St and what? What are the cross streets?

Old 12-11-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
West 152nd St and what? What are the cross streets?
W.152nd between Amsterdam and Broadway

Old 12-11-2007, 01:12 PM

18 posts, read 89,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy03 View Post

Oh you'll be more than good

Old 12-11-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R. Moreland View Post
Yes just don't get caught up in being a "vistor"/"I just moved here" persona. You will then become a target. If you just act comfortable and go on about your business it is just like any other large city in America. Plus a lot of Harlem is being renovated so things are being changed for the better. Don't let people's scary stories make you uncomfortable. I lived in the city for half my life and I am still here to talk about it and will be moving back next summer.
Thanks, yea before i went to look at apts. in Harlem I looked through some of the other posts about the area and most of them were negative. Everyone I talked to acted like it was the most dangerous area to be in, but when I actually went there myself it wasn't as bad as I expected. I definitely feel comfortable in the city.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:35 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
That area is fine for the most part. Straddles Harlem and Washington Heights. Technically it's Harlem, but it has a little of the flavor of both neighborhoods.

There's drug activity, and it's noisy, especially during the summer. Noise wise it doesn't help that there is a police precinct and a firehouse right around there, and Columbia-Presbyterian hospital just a little further up. Plus 155th is a busy intersection. So in the summer it can get a little crazy with the noise.

But it basically depends on the building. If the building is well maintained and people don't loiter inside or right outside it's fine.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 12-11-2007 at 01:48 PM..

Old 12-11-2007, 04:09 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,185 times
Quote:
Thanks, yea before i went to look at apts. in Harlem I looked through some of the other posts about the area and most of them were negative. Everyone I talked to acted like it was the most dangerous area to be in, but when I actually went there myself it wasn't as bad as I expected. I definitely feel comfortable in the city.
Yes people on this fourm make it sound like areas such as Harlem, that people are suppose to just stay out of them because they are too dangerous and/or people can't leave their apartments/homes without getting assaulted or robbed. I call those scenerious alot of bull****. Just watch yourself and keep an eye in your surroundings and you can live there for years or even your whole life without been a victim of crime.

Especially in Harlem. People there are already use to tourists, visitors and new people (especially Whites). If it was the opposite, then crime in Harlem will be way up, instead of going down so much.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:27 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Ok so no one said anything bad about Harlem. I used to travel through there a couple times a year but it was many years ago. I do remember it as the most dangerous place on earth. Even the cops stayed away.

I just did look it up out of curiosity. It appears things have turned around in Harlem. There is a site with lots and lots of pitures of the city. It is old and dirty and decrepit but according to the crime statistics it is no different then any other big city. It dont look half bad if you like city life.

Hey good luck to you !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City