Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Not having an education or the proper skill-set bars you from getting a job. So does getting arrested for theft. But not because you got a ticket for smoking a joint in the park. Most background checks will overlook that as long as you can pass a drug test and the ticket was a one time event. Maybe professions in which you have to operate an automobile or heavy machinery might care, but most office jobs do not.
For a first time offense they'll likely do ACD. Don't get caught selling marijuana in six months and we'll wipe your record clean. A lot of judges do realize the gravity of a conviction.

And yes, a lot of office jobs would care. Particularly in the banking or legal professions. This kind of conviction could finish someone. A permanent drug related mark could even make someone lose their licenses in the financial world, in law, and in medicine. But generally first time offenders are mandated to go to rehab, since the ultimately consequences are so severe.

So much depends on whether the person got busted once or whether its a repeated occasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 10:39 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
For a first time offense they'll likely do ACD. Don't get caught selling marijuana in six months and we'll wipe your record clean. A lot of judges do realize the gravity of a conviction.

And yes, a lot of office jobs would care. Particularly in the banking or legal professions. This kind of conviction could finish someone. A permanent drug related mark could even make someone lose their licenses in the financial world, in law, and in medicine. But generally first time offenders are mandated to go to rehab, since the ultimately consequences are so severe.

So much depends on whether the person got busted once or whether its a repeated occasion.
Most law firms won't even drug test. And they don't care in banking if you have a violation on your record. I know someone that was told by the screening employer that something drug related came up from his distant pass. His response was, "that wasn't supposed to come up." Probably because it was an ACD, but it came up anyway. Still hired him. Anything theft or fraud related, would have been a different story. As for repeatedly getting busted, then you are an idiot, why should you be hired in the first place.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:03 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Most law firms won't even drug test. And they don't care in banking if you have a violation on your record. I know someone that was told by the screening employer that something drug related came up from his distant pass. His response was, "that wasn't supposed to come up." Probably because it was an ACD, but it came up anyway. Still hired him. Anything theft or fraud related, would have been a different story. As for repeatedly getting busted, then you are an idiot, why should you be hired in the first place.
Dude, please stop lying and trolling. Playing devil's advocate only goes so far before it makes you look like a total tool. You crossed that point a long time ago.

I took the LSAT and applied to law school. Got in a few and decided it wasn't for me so I never actually enrolled.

When you fill out the forms for the LSAT exam (you apply to law schools through the LSAT site) you are asked questions about substance abuse and your criminal past. Ideally, there is no record of your arrest or you may not even get to take the bar after law school. In fact, you won't even get into law school. (the actual site is LSAC)

I worked in banking for three years. I was bonded and finger printed. Yes, they care if you have a record because who wants criminals who may steal from the bank or conspire with criminals within the banking system. I registered for the Series 7 (that's for dealing with securities). You have to account for all your activities within the past 10 years, and you cannot lie to the government. But even for teller's in commercial banking, they are actually pretty strict on the background checks. And many (not all) jobs in banking drug test. Been there and done that myself.

Remember when Martha Stewart's broker got himself and Martha locked up in jail for insider trading AND because they lied to the government?

At this point, we get it. You don't want to pay taxes on your weed sales and you're afraid that legit weed businesses will push you out. Fine, you're entitled to your thoughts.

But it goes beyond obnoxious and assine to outright lie on the effects that ANY arrest has on a professional career. You're actually causing everyone here to lose any sense of respect for you, because at this point you're just trolling and lying. Right now you're making yourself look like a washed up drug dealer who clearly never had a job in his entire life beyond working off the books in a corner store. Clearly you've not been in a law office (beyond hiring someone for criminal defense).

I'm sure your drug addict buddies have told you all kinds of stories, but addicts aren't known exactly for telling the truth. At this point you need rehab and/or mental health services, because lying and making up stuff to this degree is borderline psychotic. It's also unethical and immoral to deliberately put out false and misleading information, particularly when it concerns legal consequences. Have you no shame? No principles? Obviously you have no morals.

Does it occur to you that some naive young person might actually be foolish enough to listen to you and face legal consequences that ruin his future, all because you had to be an argumentative jerk? Even if that person was foolish enough to take your advice, can you clearly say your behavior was good or you made a positive contribution to the world by basically telling kids they can't get in trouble for something they very well can? How can you look at yourself in the mirror when you wake up?

Old 03-07-2014, 06:33 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,987 times
Quote:
Dude, please stop lying and trolling. Playing devil's advocate only goes so far before it makes you look like a total tool. You crossed that point a long time ago.

Sorry, but I called that one out, long time.

The point, ultimately, is not about not about whether you will have trouble getting a job or not.

The real point here is that you can still get fined, arrested and get a tarnished record for something that it shouldn't be.

As I mentioned earlier, the number 1 source of arrests in NYC is low-level MJ possession.

Anyone trying to downplay the consequences of a mj arrest or any arrest for that matter is an idiot.....plain and simple.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:48 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:

I took the LSAT and applied to law school. Got in a few and decided it wasn't for me so I never actually enrolled.

When you fill out the forms for the LSAT exam (you apply to law schools through the LSAT site) you are asked questions about substance abuse and your criminal past. Ideally, there is no record of your arrest or you may not even get to take the bar after law school. In fact, you won't even get into law school. (the actual site is LSAC)

I worked in banking for three years. I was bonded and finger printed. Yes, they care if you have a record because who wants criminals who may steal from the bank or conspire with criminals within the banking system. I registered for the Series 7 (that's for dealing with securities). You have to account for all your activities within the past 10 years, and you cannot lie to the government. But even for teller's in commercial banking, they are actually pretty strict on the background checks. And many (not all) jobs in banking drug test. Been there and done that myself.

Remember when Martha Stewart's broker got himself and Martha locked up in jail for insider trading AND because they lied to the government?

At this point, we get it. You don't want to pay taxes on your weed sales and you're afraid that legit weed businesses will push you out. Fine, you're entitled to your thoughts.

But it goes beyond obnoxious and assine to outright lie on the effects that ANY arrest has on a professional career. You're actually causing everyone here to lose any sense of respect for you, because at this point you're just trolling and lying. Right now you're making yourself look like a washed up drug dealer who clearly never had a job in his entire life beyond working off the books in a corner store. Clearly you've not been in a law office (beyond hiring someone for criminal defense).

I'm sure your drug addict buddies have told you all kinds of stories, but addicts aren't known exactly for telling the truth. At this point you need rehab and/or mental health services, because lying and making up stuff to this degree is borderline psychotic. It's also unethical and immoral to deliberately put out false and misleading information, particularly when it concerns legal consequences. Have you no shame? No principles? Obviously you have no morals.

Does it occur to you that some naive young person might actually be foolish enough to listen to you and face legal consequences that ruin his future, all because you had to be an argumentative jerk? Even if that person was foolish enough to take your advice, can you clearly say your behavior was good or you made a positive contribution to the world by basically telling kids they can't get in trouble for something they very well can? How can you look at yourself in the mirror when you wake up?
Kids out there, I'm not a role model. But just because you had a minor mishap with the law does not mean that your future dreams are jeopardized. You can still aspire to be a professional. I even know writers that have been given violations for smoking MJ and yet still managed to have a successful journalism career in a major newsroom. So just because of one minor offense, does not mean you have to run for the hills upstate or out west into hiding, locking yourself in a room and limit yourself to a career of CD posting. Just because you smoked a little dope in college and got caught, it is far from the end of the road no matter what people try to state around here. Pick yourself up, clean yourself off, work hard and learn from your mistakes. Don't let posters opinions hold you down. You can still become a lawyer, journalist, accountant, banker, etc... But remember to leave it at that and don't let it bring you down other bad paths that are much worse both legally and morally (i.e., insider trading). If all it was that Martha did was smoke a joint, big deal, it wouldn't of landed her in the joint. And don't even use the series 7 as an example of not being able to attain because of a minor MJ offense. I highly doubt FINRA would really care if a broker was bagged smoking a spliff at a concert.

Last edited by ShirlMastic Beach; 03-07-2014 at 07:04 AM..

Old 03-10-2014, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 851 times
[quote=CNYC;33601042]Obviously YES but as a stoner myself I don't think some crowds can handle it properly.

The Hip Hop crowd is what concerns me. Some of these guys get STOOPID when they blunt. Their weed culture and mine are totally different.

what makes you say this? Weed keeps the peace in hip hop. it's the drinking you should be concerned about across the board. I grew up on hip hop and never witnessed people acting stoopid off weed

Old 03-11-2014, 12:19 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinblac11 View Post
it's the drinking you should be concerned about across the board.
Right. What goes good with a blunt....a 40oz. Those guys like to put booze in the mix and they can't handle the outcome. Ever been to a rap show ?

I used to go to them all the time back in the 80's. Guess where I was standing ? By the back door ready to load out when the SHT hit the fan.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:47 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,958 times
Quote:
Amsterdam is not Europe, not is the Netherlands. They are parts of Europe. So is the Ukraine. So is Russia. So is Poland. So is Greece. So is Portugal.

Cherry picking one or two places as your dream come true and presenting all of Europe as some wonderful place is the epitome of dishonesty.

It's like claiming New York City represents all of America. It certainly does not.

Oh, as for Dutch History, they engaged in pretty brutal things like slavery and colonialism. I guess its okay to murder and enslave non white people. I guess that makes the Western Euriopeans superior. You had the Holocaust in Western Europe in the 20th century (I guess its okay to murder Jewish people, gypsies, and other non desirables). You had terrorism (IRA in Britain) and the Basque separatists in Spain.
The epitome of dishonesty? You're writing is the epitome of hyperbole. Also, I mentioned that I would be using the Netherlands as an example, and did as much, because covering the specifics for every European country would be too much as well as off topic. You know that. You're just desperate to make a point, and failing miserably at it. To wit:

How does a comparison of Europe and the USA's QOL warrant mentioning of slavery, colonialism, moral superiority/inferiority claims using events that are well in the past, absolute superiority claims, the Holocaust, the IRA, and the Basques?

You're out of your tree, my son.

Seriously, your emotions and inability to stick to the topic are hard to take. It's obvious that your hate of Europe is so strong that you can't admit simple quality of life discrepancies where they exist, and it leads you to wild dumps of emotion laden non-sequitur. I can't compete. Maybe some marijuana is in order for you. It should even out your temperament. /sarc.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:06 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Yes, weed should be legal. Make cigarettes illegal.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:34 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,081 times
Why cause cigarettes kill more People?

Good Point.

Dudes liar law firms and banks go overboard on background check even for interns. Try 1-3 months of background checks for ONE intern AFTER the kid receives offer.

Yeah HR looking for ANY dirt just to fire you so you better be squeaky clean. It is also why response time is delayed its like the CIA of Employment mannnnnn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City