Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 10:21 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Which is why landlords also ask to see your paycheck stubs, do credit checks on you (I doubt a drug dealer who operates in cash as a credit history) and want to see your BANK statements.

So it will take more than forged tax forms to get an apartment. The landlord may call a prospective tenant's employer to verify employment.
Paystubs don't come directly from God to Employers....they can be purchased very cheaply and filled out. A student or drug dealer can very well have a couple credit cards that are paid off promptly earning a very high credit rating and a call to most employers should get a "we don't disclose that kind of information."

No landlord has ever called my employer nor the employer of anyone I know.

Hey, this is an apartment, not a CIA clearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 10:40 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
^ you won't be paying any rent because you'll be living in the big house after getting a laundry list of felony charges when you get caught falsifying legal documents.

This thread has some of the most asinine suggestions/arguments I've seen on this topic.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:39 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Paystubs don't come directly from God to Employers....they can be purchased very cheaply and filled out. A student or drug dealer can very well have a couple credit cards that are paid off promptly earning a very high credit rating and a call to most employers should get a "we don't disclose that kind of information."

No landlord has ever called my employer nor the employer of anyone I know.

Hey, this is an apartment, not a CIA clearance.
Most employers will verify whether or not someone currently works there or whether someone has worked there.

People do employment checks all the time when one is applying for a new job. And yes, legally they may verify you work there. If anyone calls human resources, they will verify whether you worked there or whether you still work there.

And please, most low level street drug dealers are not going to be together enough to pull off a credit card.

And you still have to show the bank statement. Drugs is a cash business, and if its large sums of money you really don't want a bank account for rather obvious reasons.

Face it, most street level drug dealers are either living with family or on some sort of welfare program.

Clearly you haven't applied for a job or an apartment in decades.

And likeminas is right, falsifying all those documents can lead to very serious consequences.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
^ you won't be paying any rent because you'll be living in the big house after getting a laundry list of felony charges when you get caught falsifying legal documents.

This thread has some of the most asinine suggestions/arguments I've seen on this topic.
Its also a complete mockery of the problems poor people go through. People making money off the books do indeed get denied housing opportunities from most landlords as the landlords check out criminal backgrounds, credit, and income.

Falsifying documents on top of being a drug dealer is beginning for being locked away for the long term.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:40 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Obviously YES but as a stoner myself I don't think some crowds can handle it properly.

The Hip Hop crowd is what concerns me. Some of these guys get STOOPID when they blunt. Their weed culture and mine are totally different. When I blaze I study listen to music watch a good film think cook....do something productive. Some of the younger thugs like to fight get rowdy and mix it with 40 ounces of beer.

If you go to Amsterdam you will see how responsible people are with it. They go into a coffee shop have coffee a smoke and a conversation.

I just don't think we as Americans are sophisticated enough to handle it this way. I hope I am wrong because I'd love to have it legal.
you actually wrote that it should only be legal to a person like you only smh...

you must be living in the past literally.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:26 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Most employers will verify whether or not someone currently works there or whether someone has worked there.

People do employment checks all the time when one is applying for a new job. And yes, legally they may verify you work there. If anyone calls human resources, they will verify whether you worked there or whether you still work there.

And please, most low level street drug dealers are not going to be together enough to pull off a credit card.

And you still have to show the bank statement. Drugs is a cash business, and if its large sums of money you really don't want a bank account for rather obvious reasons.

Face it, most street level drug dealers are either living with family or on some sort of welfare program.

Clearly you haven't applied for a job or an apartment in decades.

And likeminas is right, falsifying all those documents can lead to very serious consequences.
Don't be so naive. The ones that I'm aware of do not live with their parents nor are on welfare. They can very well use someone else's credit and pay that person in cash. Other legitimate businesses can be created as a front to cleanse the money. Of all the issues in the banking system over the course of the past decade or so, why do you think anti-money laundering is still the number one priority among regulators. It's not strictly to stop terrorist financing. There are still many businesses in which paper money is still used as the primary means of conducting transactions. Nail salons, barber shops, pizza parlors, etc...

Old 02-24-2014, 07:34 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Legal Weed's Strange Economics in Colorado - Businessweek

Old 02-24-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Don't be so naive. The ones that I'm aware of do not live with their parents nor are on welfare. They can very well use someone else's credit and pay that person in cash. Other legitimate businesses can be created as a front to cleanse the money. Of all the issues in the banking system over the course of the past decade or so, why do you think anti-money laundering is still the number one priority among regulators. It's not strictly to stop terrorist financing. There are still many businesses in which paper money is still used as the primary means of conducting transactions. Nail salons, barber shops, pizza parlors, etc...
And why do you think the US undid prohibition and legalized alcohol again?

Btw, using someone else's credit is identity theft, especially if they've forged documents. When they do a credit check on you, they ask for your driver's license and your social security card.

So if they're using someone else's credit, it means they made a FAKE driver's license with another pic on it, and they are using a social security card that's been forged. You're talking serious felonies here. If a person is caught, they will major time. You're also talking about money laundering.

I have to ask you, are you smoking as you make these arguments? You're basically saying it much better to have organized crime and identity theft as opposed to legalizing marijuana where people could sell marijuana legally, not have to worry about jail or doing stupid things that might get then locked away in prison (identity theft, forged documents including id) ,and be able to actually contribute towards their future by legally being able to use financial instruments such as bank accounts in there name, and by being able to pay taxes therefore be eligible for social security in the future.

Right now you aren't talking like a devil's advocate, you're talking like someone in organized crime who fears the government could end his criminal monopoly. Its also selfish because you don't care about how the criminalization is ruining lives.

You've actually made all the arguments why it should be legal, to get the criminals out of the business. Much like alcohol was made legal, to get the alcohol gangsters out of the business.

You've also made the argument why the city uses gentrification to shut down all the small businesses and replace them with Walgreens, Duane Reads, CVS Pharmacies, and other legitimate tax paying businesses.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:42 PM

675 posts, read 1,255,883 times
Quote:
How many people are killed by LEGAL DRUGS prescribed by their doctors?
Over 100,000 deaths per year according to the FDA: Why Learn about Adverse Drug Reactions (ADR)?

How many Big Pharma corporations shut down and owners arrested: ZERO

How many deaths caused by ganja: ZERO

Nuff Said!

Old 02-25-2014, 03:27 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
you actually wrote that it should only be legal to a person like you only smh...

you must be living in the past literally.
You misinterpreted my words. I feel certain groups would be able to handle legalization better than others. Obviously everybody should be able to do it but I don't think everybody would be able to handle it in a responsible way. Ie. The giant smoke in in Colorado (or was it Washington ?) where gang violence occurred and there were shootings. WTF are gangs doing shooting up an event that could help spread legalization throughout the nation ? That's just dumb and irresponsible but " That B what we do when we get stoopid blazed ".

Why does there need to be gang violence at a televised smoke -in ?

A lot of Americans are dumb that's why. They don't know how to act anything but a fool.

I'd like to see potheads doing things in a positive light like donating some proceeds to charity or some sort of community service to prove to the rest of the population that we are decent citizens who just like to smoke pot...not act a fool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City