Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:21 PM

821 posts, read 1,099,826 times

Advertisements

... churns out future winners.

Teens defend ‘fail factory’ school in error-filled letters | New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 06:36 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
The place has been a disaster for many years.Should have been closed a long time ago.It's a hell hole where no learning goes on.There was a time not too long ago when this was what most high schools in the city looked like.Thankfully,things are much better now and this type of place is an exception rather than the norm.

LiveLeak.com - Police And Students Brawl At Manhattan High School

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-24-2014 at 06:47 PM..

Old 02-24-2014, 06:47 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,761,327 times
Yep. Bergtraum has long been the pits. I remember years ago when mine were in middle school it was one of a handful of schools guidance prohibited any kids from applying to. I recall Graphic Arts and Washington Irving were two others. They've closed. Bergtraum should follow.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The place has been a disaster for many years.Should have been closed a long time ago.It's a hell hole where no learning goes on.There was a time not too long ago when this was what most high schools in the city looked like.Thankfully,things are much better now and this type of place is an exception rather than the norm.

LiveLeak.com - Police And Students Brawl At Manhattan High School
The Queens high school I graduated from in 1997 now has police officers working in it. The amount of scum I went to high school with is astonishing: fourteen year old women having sex with multiple men (some at the same time), graffiti writers, drug addicts, and do-nothings. Perhaps the degree of incompetence and degeneracy of MB students is an exception, but aside for that degree, many public high schools are far from a picnic and many middle class parents I know don't know where they will send their kids to school, or choose to leave NYC altogether.

I was just wondering, why if NYC, often being called on here the Cradle of Civilization would even have this sort of place.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:56 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Yep. Bergtraum has long been the pits. I remember years ago when mine were in middle school it was one of a handful of schools guidance prohibited any kids from applying to. I recall Graphic Arts and Washington Irving were two others. They've closed. Bergtraum should follow.
I can't figure out how that place has remained untouched while many schools ,not nearly as bad ,were closed.
It's weird.Someone with a lot of influence must be protecting that place.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:39 PM

33,999 posts, read 47,230,787 times
When I was in high school (late 1990s), the majority of Manhattan high schools didn't have that good of a reputation overall. I just found this out recently and was a little surprised. Maybe me just being naive assumed that they were better than schools in the outer boros because they were in Manhattan.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-24-2014, 08:23 PM

Here's what I think people don't get: when they speak of Cradle of Civilization, they are referring to much of Manhattan (parts of Manhattan are poor) and small affluent areas of the outer boroughs while ignoring ALL the other areas that make up NYC. Yes, with all the huge skyscrapers and apartment buildings and all the social and financial power that runs through it, NYC would cease to exist if the police presence and welfare assistance were removed for a short time. That says something.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:32 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
Here's what I think people don't get: when they speak of Cradle of Civilization, they are referring to much of Manhattan (parts of Manhattan are poor) and small affluent areas of the outer boroughs while ignoring ALL the other areas that make up NYC. Yes, with all the huge skyscrapers and apartment buildings and all the social and financial power that runs through it, NYC would cease to exist if the police presence and welfare assistance were removed for a short time. That says something.
Who is calling Manhattan the "Cradle of Civilization" and why do you keep mentioning this on different threads? Did one poster on here say it one time and it irks you enough to keep making posts referring to it? Or are many posters referring to Manhattan this way every day and I just failed to notice it?

Old 02-24-2014, 11:08 PM

33,999 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Who is calling Manhattan the "Cradle of Civilization" and why do you keep mentioning this on different threads? Did one poster on here say it one time and it irks you enough to keep making posts referring to it? Or are many posters referring to Manhattan this way every day and I just failed to notice it?
A history of people calling NYC the "cradle of civilization" of City-Data if you will. Not much, as you correctly determined:

//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=9645019

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-25-2014, 12:34 AM

296 posts, read 468,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
I was just wondering, why if NYC, often being called on here the Cradle of Civilization would even have this sort of place.
Obviously because NYC produces the caliber of high school graduate that would claim that NYC is "the cradle of civilization".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: