Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:41 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times

Advertisements

Using 45k per person would mean together the salary is 135k, using the 40x's rule the minimum rent you guys can go for is $3400-$3500 a month. For a real 3BR, this could be very difficult below 100st, not out of the question but sacrifices will have to be made like maybe a walk up 4th/5th floor, very east/very west, smaller bedroom sizes or no living room at all. The BIGGEST problem i see a majority of bigger landlords/management companies will have is renting to you without a guarantor, mainly because its your first job and no guarantee you wont lose the job.

Ive had a few recent grads and with the exception of 2 cases (mainly because one paid a yr up front and another offered 3 months security) they all required guarantors.

Right now theres a 3br/1ba in the low 90s on 3rd ave for $3350, 2 bedrooms are good size, 1 is a bit smaller, its an open kitchen (meaning the kitchen and living room share a space) and the living room is a bit small.

Real 3br/2ba for $3495 a few blocks north of the apt i mentioned above that is awesome, elevator/laundry/private roofdeck, washer/dryer.

Now lets talk downtown, right off of West Houston near sullivan st theres a walkup "3br" for $3555, amazing location, bedrooms only fit a twin size though.

Its all a matter of preference of course, i suggest you dont limit your search to one area only, try to see whats out there all over the city to get a better understanding of what your money will get you. You're are probably young and its going to be your first time living here, dont expect to have it all. Be smart take your first yr as a learning experience while increasing your credit score and hopefully earning a bigger salary so in yr 2 or 3 you will know your way around better and can make a serious decision on where/how to live and get the perfect place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 10:08 PM

5 posts, read 9,374 times
How many guarantors do we need? Like, does each of us have to have a parent as a guarantor or can one parent be a guarantor for all three of us? Also, I've heard that guarantors have to live in the tri-state area. Is this always the case?

Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
I would recommend looking at hoboken. It's great at your age. Tons of bars, young people, and much cleaner than the city. Great and easy access to downtown. If you are more on the preppy / yuppy side vs hipster / urban, hoboken is a great choice.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:28 PM

237 posts, read 482,545 times
Maybe try Astoria or Long Island City in Queens? They're extremely convenient to Manhattan (less than 20 minutes to midtown) but more affordable than Manhattan and the trendier areas of Brooklyn. They've become popular with post-grads because of those reasons.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:34 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie24 View Post
How many guarantors do we need? Like, does each of us have to have a parent as a guarantor or can one parent be a guarantor for all three of us? Also, I've heard that guarantors have to live in the tri-state area. Is this always the case?
One parent can be a guarantor for everyone if that person is ok with it, it would make things much easier in terms of paperwork too lol. Some management companies/landlord do prefer tri state area while others dont care lol. So many apts/buildings vary on a case by case basis.

If you have anymore questions feel free to send me a direct/private message or you can keep things public, apt hunting in nyc is a totally different beast than the rest of the country, sometimes i still get shock by scenarios i encounter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: