Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 08:30 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
I don't understand how a criminal breaking federal laws shows up at a state gov't building, admits to being a criminal who is currently committing a crime, and not only are they not immediately arrested and deported, they are given gov't identification that enables them access to tax payer funded amenities.

These illegal criminals are not on payroll that is being reported at the federal / state level, so they are 99% also breaking a federal law in committing tax fraud. But hey....however the powers to be need to get votes.....
NY is a Sanctuary city for illegals.

Sanctuary city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 08:36 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Because they don't pay taxes, period. Does anyone really think anything good can possibly come out of allowing even more takers to vote themselves taxpayer money?

Thats not correct, permanent residents (greencard holders) pay all the same taxes that you do, Fed, FICA, State etc. I once read that greencard holders actually on average pay a larger amount of fed. income taxes than the average American on account of them often having higher education and higher-paying jobs.

To be clear, there are lots of US non-citizens who live in the country legally. I think you are referring to illegal immigrant non-citizens, and specifically to the portion of those that don't pay taxes (some do, they have a TIN). In my experience, most illegal immigrants work. As for "takers" - most are long-term intergenerationally poor... citizens!

If you want only taxpayers to vote then you'd have to EXPAND voting rights - because tax-paying permanent residents (non-citizens) currently can't vote..

Old 02-28-2014, 11:15 AM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Non-citizens should have no say in the political direction a nation takes, any nation. There are far too many reasons why this is a horrible idea to even begin to list them.

If California allowed illegals to vote, we'd have 49 states with Mexico controlling a part of the US. Once we allow them to vote, they're going to vote themselves the right to run for office. This is just asinine.

What happened to this country that so many citizens are so willing to just give it away? I really hope this disease stays mostly confined to NYC and the state of California.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:27 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,622,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Jeez, I wish. Is that really a thing? I'd love to make money for all this time I waste on forums.
I don't have any facts to establish this but I don't doubt for a second people are paid to play politics online, and that they're on this forum. It's too good a tool to pass up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
One doesn't need to be a US citizen to be a legal resident of NYC. But one does need to be legally in the USA to be so.
Is this something that you've single handed decided that "resident" should be defined as?

take a moment to let this sink in.
y o u / a r e / w r o n g
learn from it and move on.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:35 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strate L O S S View Post

Is this something that you've single handed decided that "resident" should be defined as?

take a moment to let this sink in.
y o u / a r e / w r o n g
learn from it and move on.
No I am not wrong. One can be a legal tenant in a dwelling where one is paying rent. But one can't be a legal resident of NYC if they are illegally in the USA. Simple logic!

Old 03-01-2014, 06:20 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
How many levels of "papers" is one required to show the gestapo when they ask "Are your papers in order?"

Old 03-01-2014, 05:12 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,622,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
No I am not wrong. One can be a legal tenant in a dwelling where one is paying rent. But one can't be a legal resident of NYC if they are illegally in the USA. Simple logic!
again, is this the definition you've made up on your own? I posted the actual definition of resident so I guess so.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:58 AM

17 posts, read 33,348 times
Default ID for undocumented

what about those in Long Island? Im pretty sure there's undocumented that needs ID's in Long Island.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:37 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
"Undocumented immigrants lined up by the hundreds when San Francisco launched municipal ID cards in 2009 — providing a preview of what’s in store for New York City’s proposed program.

In San Francisco, where more than 10,000 people now have ID cards, applicants must show up in person, present identification (foreign passports and other documents are accepted) and proof of residency, such as a lease or utility bill.

Applicants pay between $5 and $15, depending on age, and are issued a photo ID on the spot.

San Francisco’s program mimics that of New Haven, Conn. — which in 2007 launched the first municipal ID program in the country and has issued about 15,000 cards.

Advocates said the New York program — announced by Mayor de Blasio on Monday — will provide government-issued ID cards to undocumented immigrants, the homeless and anyone else who has trouble getting official forms of identification.

The IDs are intended to make it easier for undocumented immigrants and other disenfranchised residents to open bank accounts, use the library, get access to health care and go into government buildings and public schools.

Opponents questioned why the city was treading on federal turf.

The Foundation for American Immigration Reform said ID cards “aid and abet illegal immigration” and maybe terrorism.

“New York was the target of the 9/11 terror attacks and [the feds] have said the ability of the hijackers to gain access to government-issued identification was instrumental in carrying out the attacks,” said FAIR spokesman Ira Mehlman, who questioned making ID more readily available." - NY POST

I think this is great news that NYC is taking the same approach has San Francisco on issuing municipal identification cards. I'm still wondering how badly the blowback will be from the GOP and Tea Partiers!
Blowback?

I reckon they would point to this as evidence that 1) Procuring an ID is somewhow impossible for poor people and 2) the concept of an ID as racist is a bunch of malarkey.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:07 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Probably not. Permanent residents (ie "greencard" holders) have official NYS IDs, drivers licenses etc. But they still can't vote.
Yes, but greencard holders are supposed to be here permanently and intending to become citizens. They are not illegals. Why give illegals -- who broke the law coming -- any documentation? You know darn well it will somehow morph into a cottage industry of fake ids and claiming legal status. It already goes on in the SW ( I have family there).. and the minute the illegals get to vote, you change the demographics in an election
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: