Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 03:21 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,208,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
Mount Vernon, New Rochelle and Yonkers, while they have some nice parts (like Fleetwood), aren't the safest suburbs to live in.
This is such baloney.

Yonkers has a population of 200,000. The city is shaped like a long rectangular. 90% of it is safe. The 10% that is not that safe (and parts are safe) are in the far southwest corner of the city.

Yonkers had 8 murders in 2012, or 4/100,000 residents. To put this is context, in 2013 Baltimore, with a population of 620,000, had 235 murders, or 39/100,000 residents.

The vast majority of New Rochelle is safe. West New Rochelle is pretty safe, but it is very old and very tired looking.

Mount Vernon has large areas that are unappealing (rundown housing, vacant stores, etc.). Generally, if you stay north of Lincoln Avenue, its OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 03:28 PM

31 posts, read 43,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
What is it that you love about NYC so much?

Yeah, Astoria is as cheap as it gets. $300k easily gets you a 4 bedroom house with a garage and a huge yard.
Oh really? Wow that is pretty good I live in a one bedroom apartment and it's a little over 1 thousand a month so it's not that bad.

Seriously OP, look into a lot of neighborhoods in Queens like Astoria or Long Island City. There's a lot of cheap apartments over there and you should look near Prospect Park in Brooklyn. Everyone talks about how Brooklyn is ~ gentrifying ~ but you still find a lot of cheap, affordable apartments in Brooklyn.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:37 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,283,910 times
New Rochelle is not too bad---the "rich" areas are pretty expensive but you can buy a pretty big coop there for a reasonable price. Get on the Metro-North and you're in the city in 20-30 minutes.

Actually, Gerritsen Beach in Brooklyn is pretty safe but really in the middle of no where. You can find a house there for under 400K. But that's only if you want to have neighbors who forget they live in Brooklyn and like to put up confederate flags in their front yard.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:39 PM

32 posts, read 71,816 times
I just looked up Astoria and prospect park and they seemed too expensive. However, Essex and Bergen county seemed reasonable. I'm not moving with a job, I hope I can get one when I move, so I only want to live close to nyc so on my days off, I could have a days visit to nyc and be back home by 5pm or so. And I don't want to rent or live in an apartment, I hate apartment living.
Also, I want to choose a state with a low property tax so my mortgage payments won't be too high. No one mentioned Philadelphia, is that city too expensive or too dangerous? Thanks!

Old 02-27-2014, 11:10 PM

420 posts, read 819,354 times
Quote:

Yeah, Astoria is as cheap as it gets. $300k easily gets you a 4 bedroom house with a garage and a huge yard.
lmao maybe in 1960 dude...

Old 02-28-2014, 01:42 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,192,941 times
In Westchester, it is going to be difficult to find a house for $300k, unless you look at an area like Yorktown Heights where you would find some smaller houses in that range. Putnam County would have some housing stock as well around that price point for a 3-4BR house. Carmel and Mahopac would be areas to look for a larger supply of houses around the preferred price range, though you may also find some houses in Garrison.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-28-2014, 05:57 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,781,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooshb View Post
I just looked up Astoria and prospect park and they seemed too expensive. However, Essex and Bergen county seemed reasonable. I'm not moving with a job, I hope I can get one when I move, so I only want to live close to nyc so on my days off, I could have a days visit to nyc and be back home by 5pm or so. And I don't want to rent or live in an apartment, I hate apartment living.
Also, I want to choose a state with a low property tax so my mortgage payments won't be too high. No one mentioned Philadelphia, is that city too expensive or too dangerous? Thanks!
The reason why people of modest means move to big cities like NYC is because they are ambitious and want to work their way up a ladder. Cities offer a lot of opportunities for personal (esp. financial) advancement and that is why such people pay for the higher COL and prefer to rent instead of buying if property values are too expensive. If it were not for advancement, the COL would not be worth it.

Agree with bmw that you should probably look far out and visit NYC in your free time. Aside from Putnam, you can look as far as Dutchess and Ulster counties and visit the city on weekends. Note however that the farther away you are from NYC or any major metro area, the harder it will be to resell your house so not sure how far you will get with that 300K investment. Whether you live in NYC or far out, you might just want to rent instead.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:04 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,419,551 times
Quote:
What is it that you love about NYC so much?

I like to know where in Astoria you can find a $300k house that includes 4 bedroom and a garage.

I lived there for 3 years and there's hardly any houses there with any yards and a 4 bedroom condo cost over $450k, 4 bedroom houses start at $475k+

Astoria Real Estate & Astoria New York City Homes For Sale - Zillow

Old 02-28-2014, 10:51 AM

257 posts, read 679,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
lmao maybe in 1960 dude...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I like to know where in Astoria you can find a $300k house that includes 4 bedroom and a garage.

I lived there for 3 years and there's hardly any houses there with any yards and a 4 bedroom condo cost over $450k, 4 bedroom houses start at $475k+

Hahaha, you should have read the post that I was quoting before assuming that I'm serious. 1960 sounds about right...

Old 02-28-2014, 11:45 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,473,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

I'm sorry but even your figures are out of date. A normal (ie not falling down and two years into foreclosure with all the insides ripped out) 4-bed house in Astoria starts way above $475 - as shown by your zillow link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City