Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 11:30 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times

Advertisements

dem a buss up my yaaad!!!

P.S. I mean no offense to my West Indian brothers and sisters, just trying to bring some levity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 11:31 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Wakefield is nowhere near the most expensive real estate in metro NYC.

The reason why there's such defensiveness on this topic is because people know I'm right.
For somebody who likes to position themselves as a high-minded and intelligent person, you are quite dense in the head. The reason things boiled over had nothing to do with real estate prices, it was your statement that there was something about our culture that made Caribbean people not keep their homes well-kept compared to white citizens. If you had focused on class, your statement would've had some credibility, but you chose to go an entirely different route & you couldn't handle being called out for the lack of intelligence and insulting nature of the comments you wrote.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:34 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Some of you clearly have never been to Long Island or the nicer parts of NJ and the nicer parts of Westchester if you think Wakefield's an attractive neighborhood. For that matter, some of you clearly haven't been to nicer areas of NYC proper if you think Wakefield is attractive.

Stop trying to hide behind race. It's not an attractive or particularly desirable neighborhood. If that's where some of you want to live, that's fine. I'm not attacking that.

I just gave some reasons it isn't gentrifying.

72 and Broadway in Manhattan is definitely safer than White Plains Road. Shootouts are a lot less rare in the UWS than in WPR. You don't see bunches of thugged out men hanging out on the corner on 72nd and Broadway like you might on WPR.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:36 AM

Personally don't find wakefield attractive but it's far from a bad area overall.

Nor do I think it's a possible gentrification target. For one it's been a stable low middle class to middle class area for a long while now. It will maybe become more diverse over time but West Indians have a strong foothold there with many homeowners so I don't see it happening quickly at least.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:43 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
I've been around. I've visited Long Island and Westchester. Totally different. Wakefield is an urban, high density neighborhood vs. the more suburban Westchester and Long Island. The area doesn't need any gentrification. And I'm almost certain the local population doesn't care if there's a starbucks on every corner. I'd rather buy a delicious patty from a local restaurant than some chain coffee. Same goes for Latin food. Two things I miss here in Texas (though I have Starbucks everywhere).

Old 03-03-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I've been around. I've visited Long Island and Westchester. Totally different. Wakefield is an urban, high density neighborhood vs. the more suburban Westchester and Long Island. The area doesn't need any gentrification. And I'm almost certain the local population doesn't care if there's a starbucks on every corner. I'd rather buy a delicious patty from a local restaurant than some chain coffee. Same goes for Latin food. Two things I miss here in Texas (though I have Starbucks everywhere).
Whether the area needed gentrification or not isn't what was asked. The OP was asking why it doesn't get gentrification. And again, I gave some reasons why. The area's a bit run down and not kept up well. And parts of it really are pretty ghetto (Edenwald projects) and some areas nearby are also pretty ghetto (Gunhill, Allerton and the projects near them).

So if someone thinks this is a good area they are willfully blind!

Old 03-03-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Whether the area needed gentrification or not isn't what was asked. The OP was asking why it doesn't get gentrification. And again, I gave some reasons why. The area's a bit run down and not kept up well. And parts of it really are pretty ghetto (Edenwald projects) and some areas nearby are also pretty ghetto (Gunhill, Allerton and the projects near them).
In NyC that would not be a barrier to gentrification. I do think it's location and the fact it already has many middle class homeowners are real barriers.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:49 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
In NyC that would not be a barrier to gentrification. I do think it's location and the fact it already has many middle class homeowners are real barriers.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Yes, its far from any job center. That's the primary reason. However, being run down and predominately Black do deter white buyers. Let's face it. Not many whites would want to buy a home and be one of the few whites in a run down Black neighborhood. Now if it was much closer to some place important, investors would buy the homes and other properties, renovate, and sell. But it isn't.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:53 AM

Uhh whites aren't the only gentrifier...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City