Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:49 AM
DAS DAS started this thread

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times

Advertisements

Williamsbridge and Wakefield used to be Irish, Italian, Jewish, neighborhoods with some African Americans. Today these neighborhoods are Caribbean, and some African American. There is a small group of Asians. There is good housing stock for those interested in purchasing private homes. The median household incomes are pretty high, gentrification is not a concern. Are these neighborhoods diversifying? Will they diversify to point of the Morris Park neighborhood, or Pelham Parkway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 10:09 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I don't think so. Those areas are solidly Caribbean/AA now and I don't think that's going to change.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:32 AM

Ok I'm surprised with the amount of detached private houses with garages and close proximity to the 2 and 5 subway lines. Also the fact that Williamsbridge especially is north of Morris Park, and Morris Park is very popular and seems to have less homes for sale. Are there other factors to consider outside of race?

Old 02-27-2014, 11:36 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Ok I'm surprised with the amount of detached private houses with garages and close proximity to the 2 and 5 subway lines. Also the fact that Williamsbridge especially is north of Morris Park, and Morris Park is very popular and seems to have less homes for sale. Are there other factors to consider outside of race?
Distance. For those working in Manhattan its good a pretty decent distance. Also the area would need to be built up in terms of amenities, services, and retail.

And no, its not diversifying beyond being heavily Black and Hispanic.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:18 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Williamsbridge and Wakefield used to be Irish, Italian, Jewish, neighborhoods with some African Americans. Today these neighborhoods are Caribbean, and some African American. There is a small group of Asians. There is good housing stock for those interested in purchasing private homes. The median household incomes are pretty high, gentrification is not a concern. Are these neighborhoods diversifying? Will they diversify to point of the Morris Park neighborhood, or Pelham Parkway?
The Asian invasion is definitely pushing up Williamsbridge Rd from Pelham Parkway so I would expect that to continue up to at least Gun Hill Rd in the coming decade.They also seem to be pushing into the area West of White Plains Rd and East of Bronx Park between Burke and Gun Hill.

I still think the big news of the 2020 census for The Bronx will be the increase in the Asian population in the whole East Bronx from Classon Point all the way up through Van Nest,Morris Park,Pelham Parkway, Allerton,etc.

Wakefield,I,m not so sure of but I agree that the housing stock is pretty amazing in some parts.I've walked around a lot up there and there are some great houses on great blocks with big yards.The projects up there could pose some kind of barrier but the Asians don't seem to be bothered by the projects.They are snapping up houses and opening businesses right next to Pelham Parkway Houses and Parkside. Asians also don't seem to have any fears about sending their kids to the schools in The Bronx.They just move in and the kids go right to the tops of their classes on their way to Bronx Science.You walk into Asian owned businesses in the afternoon or evening and the kids are in there behind the counter doing homework while the parents are running the shop.

There are very few neighborhoods in the whole city that have the kind of real diversity(raclal, ethnic,religious and economic) that PP has.It's not easy to duplicate.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-27-2014 at 01:48 PM..

Old 02-27-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
There are very few neighborhoods in the whole city that have the kind of real diversity(raclal, ethnic,religious and economic) that PP has.It's not easy to duplicate.
Thank you for responding bluedog2, I was hoping that you would. I know you are very knowledgeable about the Bronx neighborhood Morris Park/Pelham Parkway, and I was thinking you would know about the surrounding areas as well. How is the crime in Williamsbridge and Wakefield? I know Montifiore Hospital is nearby as well as Jacobi. I am looking at multi-generational housing in all 3 areas PP included. However PP is extremely popular, so thank you for mentioning future considerations, and not just the here and now.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:41 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The Asian invasion is definitely pushing up Williamsbridge Rd from Pelham Parkway so I would expect that to continue up to at least Gun Hill Rd in the coming decade.They also seem to be pushing into the area West of White Plains Rd and East of Bronx Park between Burke and Gun Hill.

I still think the big news of the 2020 census for The Bronx will be the increase in the Asian population in the whole East Bronx from Classon Point all the way up through Van Nest,Morris Park,Pelham Parkway, Allerton,etc.

Wakefield,I,m not so sure of but I agree that the housing stock is pretty amazing in some parts.I've walked around a lot up there and there are some great houses on great blocks with big yards.The projects up there could pose some kind of barrier but the Asians don't seem to be bothered by the projects.They are snapping up houses and opening businesses right next to Pelham Parkway Houses and Parkside. Asians also don't seem to have any fears about sending their kids to the schools in The Bronx.They just move in and the kids go right to the tops of their classes on their way to Bronx Science.You walk into Asian owned businesses in the afternoon or evening and the kids are in there behind the counter doing homework while the parents are running the shop.

Clason Point to Allerton/Pelham Parkway is one long distance along White Plains Road! Classon Point's by the Sound!

As far as the Asian pop in Williamsbridge/Wakefield, some theories.....
1. Been priced out of Chinatown, Manhattan
2. Flushing, Queens may be getting crowded
3. Borough/Sunset Parks plus Southern Brooklyn may be getting crowded plus pricey!

Given that, some alternative neighborhoods are being seached!

Went to a football game this past fall at Columbus High. Didn't see a lot of Asian students. Can't measure it on the game fans, but who could blame anyone for now showing up to a 44-6 smackin' by repeat city champ South Shore? (LOL!)

Old 02-27-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Clason Point to Allerton/Pelham Parkway is one long distance along White Plains Road! Classon Point's by the Sound!

As far as the Asian pop in Williamsbridge/Wakefield, some theories.....
1. Been priced out of Chinatown, Manhattan
2. Flushing, Queens may be getting crowded
3. Borough/Sunset Parks plus Southern Brooklyn may be getting crowded plus pricey!

Given that, some alternative neighborhoods are being seached!

Went to a football game this past fall at Columbus High. Didn't see a lot of Asian students. Can't measure it on the game fans, but who could blame anyone for now showing up to a 44-6 smackin' by repeat city champ South Shore? (LOL!)
Good post. How is Columbus HS in 2014? Is Columbus in PP? What is your assessment of crime levels in Williamsbridge and Wakefield since there are a lot more private homes in these areas?

Old 02-27-2014, 02:54 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
yes CC HS is in Pelham Pkwy

Ive worked in Wakefield since 1990. I can tell you that the further one goes from WP Rd the better the areas get. I work right by the subway line so its less desirable there but when you get out by Baychester and past that youre talking about some really nice homes and clean blocks

Williamsbridge is south of 233rd street down to about Burke Ave or so. more of the same. I find Williamsbridge to be drab. I prefer Morris Park which is south of PP

Williamsbridge and Wakefield are covered by the 47th pct. I don't know about crime

Old 02-27-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
yes CC HS is in Pelham Pkwy

Ive worked in Wakefield since 1990. I can tell you that the further one goes from WP Rd the better the areas get. I work right by the subway line so its less desirable there but when you get out by Baychester and past that youre talking about some really nice homes and clean blocks

Williamsbridge is south of 233rd street down to about Burke Ave or so. more of the same. I find Williamsbridge to be drab. I prefer Morris Park which is south of PP

Williamsbridge and Wakefield are covered by the 47th pct. I don't know about crime
Thank you rlrl, this is very informative. I noticed on street view that the closer you are to the train the grittier it looks. Yes I agree Morris Park is very desirable and the slim pickings reflect that. Drab is fine as long as it is synonymous with quiet. Is is fairly quiet?

I also need to know how do you walk to the western side of the Bronx River Parkway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City