Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 05:09 PM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
One, maybe you need to expand your roll.
I prefer not to seek out people engaging in armed conflict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 05:14 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I prefer not to seek out people engaging in armed conflict.
Sometimes it just happens to find you, or at least is outside your window. Can be interesting and is often streets ahead of what is on cable.

Police: Shovel and fists fly in Staten Island snow-shoveling dust-up | SILive.com

Old 03-10-2014, 07:06 PM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
You started a thread about that story when it happened. I'm not trying to say that violence does not exist on Staten Island. I'm saying that in 36 years, I've not once personally observed anything of the sort which you seem to believe is overly common here.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:19 PM

19 posts, read 21,171 times
its guido central. I grew up with those guys and you will get sick of them after a while. Besides do you want your kids picking that culture up?

Old 03-10-2014, 08:09 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
I didn't grow up with that culture and I was born here. You choose who to associate with.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:07 PM

633 posts, read 1,164,990 times
I have now lived and worked here over 2 decades. I do not know how one can not see what is being described in these posts. It is everywhere. My first house was a townhouse in Sussex Green in Hugenot. Bats? Oh yes! Pulling out flower beds? Yup. Spitting in each others faces? YES. Urinating on someones property while screaming at the homeowner? Yes. It was crazy there!!! My next door neighbor was a drug dealer and not only did he sell drugs out of his house, he has his own marijuana plants (guy dies of an overdose age 52). From there we moved to Annadale. Bats? You betcha. Drug deals all day and night? Better believe it. I was calling 911 all the time. Mothers buying their pills, weed and coke from the dealers that rolled up in a white car, or a white van...if you lived there you know these two vehicles. There was a BIG bust there too, so this is not fiction, it was all over the news.
The street where I live now is quiet, older, blue collar established neighborhood. I am not seeing drug deals, or fights or smelling weed however it is everywhere......the train stations, NOME Ave, the Atrium. I think if you are a good person, and oblivious perhaps you don't see what is in front of you. In my husband and my line of work, we spot it IMMEDIATELY.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:04 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
I have now lived and worked here over 2 decades. I do not know how one can not see what is being described in these posts. It is everywhere. My first house was a townhouse in Sussex Green in Hugenot. Bats? Oh yes! Pulling out flower beds? Yup. Spitting in each others faces? YES. Urinating on someones property while screaming at the homeowner? Yes. It was crazy there!!! My next door neighbor was a drug dealer and not only did he sell drugs out of his house, he has his own marijuana plants (guy dies of an overdose age 52). From there we moved to Annadale. Bats? You betcha. Drug deals all day and night? Better believe it. I was calling 911 all the time. Mothers buying their pills, weed and coke from the dealers that rolled up in a white car, or a white van...if you lived there you know these two vehicles. There was a BIG bust there too, so this is not fiction, it was all over the news.
The street where I live now is quiet, older, blue collar established neighborhood. I am not seeing drug deals, or fights or smelling weed however it is everywhere......the train stations, NOME Ave, the Atrium. I think if you are a good person, and oblivious perhaps you don't see what is in front of you. In my husband and my line of work, we spot it IMMEDIATELY.
I must say you sound like we did 7 years ago to the day...We just realized how awesome being with our real friends and family was and how important it really is for us because we missed out on so much. We came back to visit quite a bit but it wasn't the same... As for my hubby's career it was best that we came back home and we are very happy to be back even at the High Cost of Living..As nice is NC is it really isn't Utopia, In my hubby's line of work he always worked with Northerners, and its funny how its really a mixed bag..People are in Denial that they aren't happy for whatever reason..They never tell people that because what would people say? How do you NOT like the south? Its you because people love it so on and so forth...I thought we really liked it when we 1st moved eventually living there and getting to know people and the enviornement it just wasn't for us...But I really think your post is quite insulting to those who actually do Like living in NYC or SI or NJ or where ever, Trust me bigger house, nicer cars and low taxes isn't everything in Life...I have lived in 6 different states although we are born and Raised in Brooklyn, left NY to go to the Midwest, came back to SI, bought a house in NJ 10 years later we decided there had to be more to life so to speak, well we learned the hard way...My sister lives in Bay Terrace 15 yrs my daughter is attending a middle school in SI and I am sorry but Life is what you make of it...Im sure you will be very happy in NC just be careful who you talk to about how awful NYis there are actually people in Raleigh that are from here who are not happy I know hard to believe...and one last peice of advice, Its the south depsite how many Northerners are there Just try to embrace the life and not talk about how we did or do things back home...We heard that ALL the time from people...

Good Luck to you and your Family

Old 03-12-2014, 04:13 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
There has always been "white trash", that is nothing new to NYC and anyplace else. What happened to Staten Island over the years is that quite a lot of it moved onto the place supposedly to find "affordable housing" and live their suburban life dreams.

We are not two or three generations into many of those dysfunctional families and so now it isn't just the grandparents, but children and grand children that all have equally horrible habits.

Persons on the other side of the Expressway like to point their fingers at the North Shore every time something goes day (whaddya expect? they are all animals over there), but yet much of the same if not worse happens on the South Shore.

Some of the largest drug busts, pill mills, and so forth have happened on the South Shore. At least once a month or so some NYPD, FDNY, DSNY person is arrested for everything from drunk driving to domestic abuse to drug sales. Each of those departments have problems with drugs, and IIRC the DSNY garage on Jersey Street had a major raid or a worker or two was arrested for selling awhile back.

Of course there has always been drugs on SI. In fact there was (or may still be for all I know) a Daytop location in West Brighton back in the day. That or kids were sent to Mount Loretto). But what has happened is as SI has become more urban all the problems that come with that process have set up shop.

You have no small number of low achieving knuckle draggers who (barely) got out of high school and the best they could manage is some civil service job. But because they are white or better yet *Italian* they think who they are and you should kiss their behinds. Worse they instill this same sort of entitlement attitude in their children and the cycle repeats itself.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:15 PM

588 posts, read 947,559 times
^True, I'm half Italian (north shore) and the whole "guido", "wiseguy" thing has got old. It's pretty much the whole island but more common further south.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:24 PM

897 posts, read 1,253,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
^True, I'm half Italian (north shore) and the whole "guido", "wiseguy" thing has got old. It's pretty much the whole island but more common further south.
Let me tell you, I worked at Da Noi on Victory Blvd for a year when I was in college. You can't tell the difference between one customer and the next and they all look like they just got out of a "Goodfellas The Next Generation" casting call. No offense to Italians my closest friend is Sicilian and another is an immigrant from northern Italy. Just the wiseguy act gets all quick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City