Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:25 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,474,077 times

Advertisements

I am born and raised in SI and never felt unsafe there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 11:03 AM

633 posts, read 1,162,072 times
I'm not talking about the street crime you see in less affluent areas on the middle and south shores. I am talking about white, middle class and upper middle class drug abuse which is clearly documented. White drug addicts on Heroin and pills are burglars (yup, lots of homes broken into here during the day when people are at work), "grab and go"....pulling on car door handles and taking anything in the car, pulling on handles one after another.... stealing possessions of others... this drug epidemic is affecting the the youth here badly. Its really horrendous in the schools and it is out in the open. As another poster suggested I take pictures and post them here, but I'm not going to. I've posted where to look, if one wants to remain ignorant then so be it. One thing I have learned as a parent and a professional is when someone tells you something, even if you have not EXPERIENCED it or have not seen it, it is WORTH IT to investigate it and keep your eyes open for what ever it is described. Usually someone that is sharing something with you is doing so because they have first hand knowledge of the situation and they actually care enough that they don't want to see it happen to someone else.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:46 PM

18,897 posts, read 13,784,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
I'm not talking about the street crime you see in less affluent areas on the middle and south shores. I am talking about white, middle class and upper middle class drug abuse which is clearly documented. White drug addicts on Heroin and pills are burglars (yup, lots of homes broken into here during the day when people are at work), "grab and go"....pulling on car door handles and taking anything in the car, pulling on handles one after another.... ne thing I have learned as a parent and a professional is when someone tells you something, even if you have not EXPERIENCED it or have not seen it, it is WORTH IT to investigate it and keep your eyes open for what ever it is described.
I would agree that investigating someone else's information is important if you were talking about Chicago and I was a Staten Island resident asking questions about your city. That is not the case here. I am in disagreement with you regarding the same place, and we both live here.

I've spent nearly my entire life here outside of my military service and rarely see any of what you are purporting to see daily nearly everywhere you go.

So there's no burden of proof on me. If you want to prove that you are right, then prove it. Otherwise those who don't live here will just have to decide whose posts are more credible I suppose.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:48 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,310,668 times
I have learned thst people will believe what they will, when they try to justify their move...We heard it all the time in NC but never In South Florida....that was our experience...this applies to Anywhere....

but my sister lives in SI 15 years she read this and well she has no idea what you are talking about...so I dont know what to tell you...

Old 03-23-2014, 02:42 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,296,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I would agree that investigating someone else's information is important if you were talking about Chicago and I was a Staten Island resident asking questions about your city. That is not the case here. I am in disagreement with you regarding the same place, and we both live here.

I've spent nearly my entire life here outside of my military service and rarely see any of what you are purporting to see daily nearly everywhere you go.

So there's no burden of proof on me. If you want to prove that you are right, then prove it. Otherwise those who don't live here will just have to decide whose posts are more credible I suppose.
There is no denying that he drug problem, in particular the prescription drug problem has become quite the issue the past 5 or 6 years on Staten Island. It would appear worse here then it is else where in the city. Upstate NY, the very rural areas have a MUCH worse drug problem then Staten Island, but it's less reported because the population is smaller & it's the typical out of sight out of mind mentality.

What worries me more about Staten Island is that we seem to have a lost generation of boys born mostly in the 90's who have no desire to work & barely want to get an education. These kids some of whom are legal age, & the others that will be joining them soon enough are the next big drain on this Islands resources, and most likely will be heavy drug users and will turn to the easy way out by resorting to lifes of crime.

The girls I come across of the same age bracket seem to have themselves together better then the above mentioned.

Other issues on this Island that can drive anyone to drink & pop a Valium together is the horrible road conditions & the ensuing commute to & from Manhattan that is just brutal, and it shows no signs of getting better any time soon. My chick has a 3 to 5 hour round trip commute from New Dorp to Rockefeller center everyday. It isn't right.

As far as out in the open drug deals happening everywhere, I have yet to see one in quite some time. That being said i'm not looking for them, but if it's truly happening at the rampart pace you claim it is I too would like to see documented proof. I will take the evidence to the Sergeant of the 123 personally & walk it up to his Captain.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
There is no denying that he drug problem, in particular the prescription drug problem has become quite the issue the past 5 or 6 years on Staten Island. It would appear worse here then it is else where in the city. Upstate NY, the very rural areas have a MUCH worse drug problem then Staten Island, but it's less reported because the population is smaller & it's the typical out of sight out of mind mentality.

What worries me more about Staten Island is that we seem to have a lost generation of boys born mostly in the 90's who have no desire to work & barely want to get an education. These kids some of whom are legal age, & the others that will be joining them soon enough are the next big drain on this Islands resources, and most likely will be heavy drug users and will turn to the easy way out by resorting to lifes of crime.

The girls I come across of the same age bracket seem to have themselves together better then the above mentioned.

Other issues on this Island that can drive anyone to drink & pop a Valium together is the horrible road conditions & the ensuing commute to & from Manhattan that is just brutal, and it shows no signs of getting better any time soon. My chick has a 3 to 5 hour round trip commute from New Dorp to Rockefeller center everyday. It isn't right.

As far as out in the open drug deals happening everywhere, I have yet to see one in quite some time. That being said i'm not looking for them, but if it's truly happening at the rampart pace you claim it is I too would like to see documented proof. I will take the evidence to the Sergeant of the 123 personally & walk it up to his Captain.
Are you kidding me? The Captain of the 123 knows this! Ask a 123 cops how many of the jobs they go to are drug related?! Just about all the domestics. Are you a cop?

Has anyone looked in the paper at the stuff going on? The young boy Adam Hunt who's father is brave enough to speak out because his kid is DEAD of a OD at age 23, (South Shore kid)?!? Or the Heroin dealer they just locked up after being arrested for the SAME EXACT CRIME in Oct? How about the RN married to the cop that was part of a big OXY ring that is serving NO JAIL TIME?!?!

You aren't looking for it if you don't see it. Go to the barber shops in Great Kills and Tottenville. In the last two years they busted a barber shop, 2 delis and the Twice as Nice store in Great Kills town for DRUG DEALING!! And yes in the OPEN!!!

There is WAY MORE going on than what is reported in the Staten Island Advance. Just because you aren't looking for it, doesn't mean it isn't happening. IT IS. Why do you think young males carry a back pack?

And I agree with you 100% about these males born in the 90s here....I personally know 7 kids on Staten Island dead from DRUGS, white South Shore kids and 6 were males. All from good homes. All went to Tottenville HS. These deaths are not reported as OD in the obituaries.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:40 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,296,190 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me? The Captain of the 123 knows this! Ask a 123 cops how many of the jobs they go to are drug related?! Just about all the domestics. Are you a cop?

Has anyone looked in the paper at the stuff going on? The young boy Adam Hunt who's father is brave enough to speak out because his kid is DEAD of a OD at age 23, (South Shore kid)?!? Or the Heroin dealer they just locked up after being arrested for the SAME EXACT CRIME in Oct? How about the RN married to the cop that was part of a big OXY ring that is serving NO JAIL TIME?!?!

You aren't looking for it if you don't see it. Go to the barber shops in Great Kills and Tottenville. In the last two years they busted a barber shop, 2 delis and the Twice as Nice store in Great Kills town for DRUG DEALING!! And yes in the OPEN!!!

There is WAY MORE going on than what is reported in the Staten Island Advance. Just because you aren't looking for it, doesn't mean it isn't happening. IT IS. Why do you think young males carry a back pack?

And I agree with you 100% about these males born in the 90s here....I personally know 7 kids on Staten Island dead from DRUGS, white South Shore kids and 6 were males. All from good homes. All went to Tottenville HS. These deaths are not reported as OD in the obituaries.
Pics or it didn't happen.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:20 AM

31,682 posts, read 26,589,504 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about the street crime you see in less affluent areas on the middle and south shores. I am talking about white, middle class and upper middle class drug abuse which is clearly documented. White drug addicts on Heroin and pills are burglars (yup, lots of homes broken into here during the day when people are at work), "grab and go"....pulling on car door handles and taking anything in the car, pulling on handles one after another.... stealing possessions of others... this drug epidemic is affecting the the youth here badly. Its really horrendous in the schools and it is out in the open. As another poster suggested I take pictures and post them here, but I'm not going to. I've posted where to look, if one wants to remain ignorant then so be it. One thing I have learned as a parent and a professional is when someone tells you something, even if you have not EXPERIENCED it or have not seen it, it is WORTH IT to investigate it and keep your eyes open for what ever it is described. Usually someone that is sharing something with you is doing so because they have first hand knowledge of the situation and they actually care enough that they don't want to see it happen to someone else.
Staten Island D.A. Donovan: City needs to help fund drug court, domestic violence efforts | SILive.com

Old 03-25-2014, 08:25 AM

The Thomas J-

I hope your ignorance on this issue never affects someone you love or care about. Many kids get involved in use and lots of car accidents related to use injure the innocent. You obviously don't research the issue, read the advance, or read the comments in the advance. Sad for you.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:27 AM

BugsyPal
I hope they keep TASC. However Donovan and the others only care about conviction rates, they dumb everything down and give very little in terms of sentences. It's really pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City