Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:09 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times

Advertisements

So tell me, is it that I'm in a safer neighborhood or is it because I haven't been here long enough to see bad stuff? Do I safely assume that, if things do get bad, it'll be in the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 06:54 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
So tell me, is it that I'm in a safer neighborhood or is it because I haven't been here long enough to see bad stuff? Do I safely assume that, if things do get bad, it'll be in the summer?
Crime is everywhere in NYC even on SI. What does or does not happen to you and yours only God can say.

Just read in the Advance yesterday that an older woman was jacked by two young thugs in West Brighton.

Police: Staten Island teen sticks up 55-year-old woman while friend punches her, takes her purse | SILive.com

Living in Manhattan one has learned to always be "on point" as it were, but never felt that way when home on SI. Now keep the same attitude all the time. I watch my bag or bags, keep my cell and other valuables out of sight and generally am wary of my surroundings. Tend to get my petrol in NJ so no need to worry about self serve pumping gas say at late hours. However if one does try to use well lit and populated stations.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:53 AM

1,757 posts, read 2,145,506 times
Quote:
We moved to Prince's Bay about 5 months ago. My neighbors tell me they don't even bother to lock their cars overnight. Take that for what it's worth. We were looking at a house closer to the hospital and decided against it because of the methadone clinic there. (Although, from what I'm told, as long as addicts get their fix they tend not to look for trouble.) All that said, most people here tell me we're in the safest neighborhood in the city.
Police seek help in cracking car-hopping spree on Staten Island's South Shore | SILive.com

Might want to lock those doors. LOL

Old 03-29-2014, 08:17 AM

38 posts, read 58,950 times
So those who believe Staten Island is safe to leave your car doors unlocked. Hope you don't leave behind your gps or any electronics. As I previously stated in my line of work I can assure you that car hopping and packages thefts are up. Also that crime is under reported by local precincts so we given the idea of low crime. The city under reports every major crime except murder and felony assaults. I guess if you don't have someone in your family who knows someone who overdosed then wow you are lucky. In the past few years our children have lost many friends to drugs. So please think and open your eyes. It's in front of you. Drug dealers can't send you the drugs thru Facebook. The deals maybe hatched thru many ways but the hand to hand is done out in the open. Look for a pack of punks and there will be your drug deals. Great kills has had three business owners arrested in the recent months. Open your eyes it is right in front of you.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:06 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,308,106 times
Sadly me area has been victimized by car hoppers at least 5 times since 2009.

Drug abuse by white kids is not isolated in just Staten Island either.

Heroin Epidemic: A Mother's Plea To Parents

Old 03-29-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
We moved to Prince's Bay about 5 months ago. My neighbors tell me they don't even bother to lock their cars overnight. Take that for what it's worth. We were looking at a house closer to the hospital and decided against it because of the methadone clinic there. (Although, from what I'm told, as long as addicts get their fix they tend not to look for trouble.) All that said, most people here tell me we're in the safest neighborhood in the city.
From what I understand is the addicts that go to the methadone clinic all go to the same support group, so if one get's out of line while at the clinic and get's a hammer to the skull by one of the local residents the cops look the other way when this happens. Word get's around so all the other skells hear about it at their "support" meeting that there isn't any f**king around in the neighborhood or you are gonna get brained and no one will care. Hell I have heard stories that some of these skells OD on seguine ave the residents will just toss the bodies in the marsh by the bay & let the pack of wild dogs, deer, black bear and the fishes eat em' up. Much easier to that then to waste the cops time with paper work.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:23 PM

38 posts, read 58,950 times
Never heard of residents by seguine dumping od skills in the marsh. Lol

Old 03-31-2014, 08:42 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
From what I understand is the addicts that go to the methadone clinic all go to the same support group, so if one get's out of line while at the clinic and get's a hammer to the skull by one of the local residents the cops look the other way when this happens. Word get's around so all the other skells hear about it at their "support" meeting that there isn't any f**king around in the neighborhood or you are gonna get brained and no one will care. Hell I have heard stories that some of these skells OD on seguine ave the residents will just toss the bodies in the marsh by the bay & let the pack of wild dogs, deer, black bear and the fishes eat em' up. Much easier to that then to waste the cops time with paper work.
I hope this is not true, how sad.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
I hope this is not true, how sad.
Make up your mind. You can't have it both ways.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:31 PM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
Make up your mind. You can't have it both ways.
How about you take a walk through the "swamps" and prove such a ridiculous claim to us?

Regular people don't drag bodies into marshes. Most regular people won't even touch a dead human body (trust me, I know). Besides, what purpose would that serve the residents? One would have to assume they would be smart enough (and angry enough over the situation) to want to expose what is happening at the skell-attracting clinic they are forced to live near to hopefully change the practices of the place.

Do you people think at all before posting this ridiculous crap? Well time for me to go outside. I'm going to strap on my armor, camera, and gun because I'm certain to encounter at least 15 open-air drug deals according to this thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City