Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 05:50 PM

34 posts, read 77,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4San08 View Post
I have been scheduled for orientation on 4/17. I have a few questions.

1) If you go in at 8, what time are you out by?

2) How do they go about the follow-up medical, drug test etc? Do they give you a time and date to be somewhere, or do they work with you to schedule apptointments based on your availability, or do they just tell you where you need to go and you can go anytime before a certain date?

I ask becuase my current job is not very flexible and I need to make sure I will be able to follow through on everything. I already have my Class B CDL with the right endorsements.

Thanks
When you go to orientation you will be there until 12 or 1pm.

You will be probably be scheduled for your medical mon, tues or wed after your orientation, they will give you a date, and they are not flexible with changing it.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:15 PM

128 posts, read 268,696 times
Quick question: I went to the DMV today and got my abstract. I already have my CDL and have the Passenger and Air Brakes Endorsments. What other endorsments do I need for this job? Thanks

Old 04-03-2008, 07:57 PM

11 posts, read 24,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olo123 View Post
Quick question: I went to the DMV today and got my abstract. I already have my CDL and have the Passenger and Air Brakes Endorsments. What other endorsments do I need for this job? Thanks
You also need the tanker endorsement.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:22 PM

14 posts, read 28,083 times
I got list # 782 and I took the physical a couple months ago, but havent heard anything after that. Did anyone get a response after the physical who has a higher # than me? Just so i can get a good idea of a time frame im looking at.. thanks

Old 04-03-2008, 08:39 PM

364 posts, read 739,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Unless there is a big snowstorm,then what are you going to do? New hires will most likely be doing round robins so taking the subway or bus for the overnight shift wouldn't work.
My first two years I had no car. I lived in Brooklyn and worked in man1. I took mass transit that whole time. Some days I got off at 2 home by 330 in bed showered by 430 sleep till 1000 train at 1030 back in work by 11pm. Thats the job some can deal others cannot especially with the crappy starting pay. You make friends and hitch rides till you can get your own car. Some nights I was up at 300 to be in by 600am, because i needed to get to some place in Queens or the Bronx out of town. lol One white boy on the train in the south bronx by myself at 300 am . Must have thought I was a cop. Like I said it sucks in the beginning........

Old 04-04-2008, 05:49 AM

48 posts, read 100,448 times
Good morning guys....I finally received my letter yesterday, I have to report on April 17th at 8:00 AM. For those of us still waiting for a letter, my list # is 40*, so if your number is lower then mine and you haven't received your letter yet, maybe you could make a phone call to DCAS just to make sure it didn't get lost.

Good luck to all of us.......

Old 04-04-2008, 06:41 AM

123 posts, read 250,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Tuesdays View Post
My first two years I had no car. I lived in Brooklyn and worked in man1. I took mass transit that whole time. Some days I got off at 2 home by 330 in bed showered by 430 sleep till 1000 train at 1030 back in work by 11pm. Thats the job some can deal others cannot especially with the crappy starting pay. You make friends and hitch rides till you can get your own car. Some nights I was up at 300 to be in by 600am, because i needed to get to some place in Queens or the Bronx out of town. lol One white boy on the train in the south bronx by myself at 300 am . Must have thought I was a cop. Like I said it sucks in the beginning........

that BLOWS!!! I know I won't be able to afford a car on that salary, especially in the first few years. Do you have to get a bus after the train, or can you walk to most of the gararges from the train stations?

Old 04-04-2008, 08:33 AM

502 posts, read 1,009,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBoy View Post
Hey Salsan,

Over what period of time did you take the 5 lessons, ie., was it once a week, twice a week or more frequently? How do they schedule the lessons? There's only one driving instructor there named Anthony, right?
I chose when the lessons were....It just so happens that it worked out for 1 lesson a week until the test....But you can choose when you want them....Anthony was the one I had....He is good, I liked him...

Old 04-04-2008, 08:57 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Tuesdays View Post
Yeah,you got to do what you got to do. So you don't wear your uniforms to work? You change at the garage? If you wore a DSNY shirt or jacket then they most likely wouldn't mess with you on the train at 3:00am in the South Bronx,I bet you kept your eyes open the entire subway ride,lol.

Lets hope congestion pricing gets defeated by the state legislature next Monday,April 7th.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:36 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRaPsHu View Post
Sorry to hear that Van -10. But how would you fail the road test just by someone passing you by? there must have been more "points" taken for something else. Was the examiner a hard case?
Sorry cRaPsHu,missed your post. Yeah he was a hard case but I messed up. I would have failed me as well. I admit I was nervous and should have taken my time instead of rushing through what I was told to do.

-10 warning device check(air brakes)...I didn't have the ignition key in the on position. (duh)

-10 fails to keep right.

-10 poor judgement approaching intersection or curve.

-15 fails to yield right of way

-15 railroad tracks,poor observation

Reason for Disqualification : Dangerous Action

60 points deducted. Passing is no more than 50 points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City