Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 02:13 PM

17 posts, read 34,930 times

Advertisements

Thanks Jackieboy,i Called Human Resources And They Told Me They Didnt Get Approval Yet To Hire More Than 200workers,but The Guy I Spoke Too Said He Is Pretty Sure They Will Maybe 200 More FOR 2008

Old 04-14-2008, 02:37 PM

162 posts, read 575,256 times
That's good news. If they called people in April to get a class for July, then maybe they'll call people in August to get a class for November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKLYNZMAN View Post
Thanks Jackieboy,i Called Human Resources And They Told Me They Didnt Get Approval Yet To Hire More Than 200workers,but The Guy I Spoke Too Said He Is Pretty Sure They Will Maybe 200 More FOR 2008

Old 04-14-2008, 02:55 PM

253 posts, read 540,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXSANMAN View Post
You don't start with the dept. until your first day of new sanworker training, thats when you're hired.
Thanx...i wasnt sure... Guess I wont quit my job yet....

Old 04-14-2008, 03:09 PM

125 posts, read 266,387 times
hey guys i have a question, when dcas asks about your work history, how would someone address a long history of drug use and homelessness and a spotty employment history, lot of jobs where off the books? what if they changed there lives and where completely sober and off ALL drugs including alcohol and cigarettes for over two years? would that person still have an equal chance of getting on the job? if they where honest about there past? any reply would be appreciated. thanx

Old 04-14-2008, 03:27 PM

22 posts, read 40,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabesanitationguy View Post
hey guys i have a question, when dcas asks about your work history, how would someone address a long history of drug use and homelessness and a spotty employment history, lot of jobs where off the books? what if they changed there lives and where completely sober and off ALL drugs including alcohol and cigarettes for over two years? would that person still have an equal chance of getting on the job? if they where honest about there past? any reply would be appreciated. thanx

To my knowledge that person would have the same chance as anyone else. The people at HR kept reiterating to just be honest. As long as you dont have any pending charges against you, past criminal history wont be held against you.... provided you are upfront and honest about it.

Now I have a question.. I was at the orientation last thursday and my medical is tomorrow.
What do I have to bring with me tomorrow?
And I was under the assumption that the medical, blood work, xrays and hearing could be ALL done in one day, am I correct?

Any help would be appreciated

Eric #210

Last edited by Balzac308; 04-14-2008 at 03:52 PM..

Old 04-14-2008, 05:07 PM

135 posts, read 289,082 times
I don't have this problem being a NY resident all my life, but, I guess this might help some of you.

Residence Requirements

Residence Requirements

100-8
Subject: Residence Requirements
Source: Local Law Int. No. 625, dated June 26, 1986, which amends Sections 12-119, 12-120 and 12-121 of the Administrative Code; New York Public Officers Law, Section 3; Mayoral Directive 78-13, as amended July 26, 1978.
Supersedes: Personnel Policy and Procedure No. 540-86
Date: June 30, 1997

Policy
I. City Residence Requirements
A. Pursuant to Section 12-119 et seq. of the Administrative Code, any person who enters City service on or after September 1, 1986, shall be (1) a resident of The City of New York on the date that he or she enters City service or shall establish City residence within ninety days after such date and (2) shall thereafter maintain City residence as a condition of employment.
B. Pursuant to Mayoral Directive 78-13, residence within The City of New York shall be required as a condition of employment for persons who entered City service prior to September 1, 1986 and who are currently serving in or being appointed to provisional, non-competitive, exempt, seasonal, labor class, temporary or part-time positions, regardless of prior civil service status.
C. Persons who entered City service prior to September 1, 1986 through permanent appointment to competitive class positions which are now covered by the Residence Law, and who are currently serving in those positions in covered agencies, are not subject to the residence requirement. Upon promotion or appointment without a break in service to a new competitive class position such persons are also not subject to the residence requirement. They are, however, subject to the residence requirements of Mayoral Directive 78-13 upon receiving a provisional appointment or an appointment to a non-competitive, exempt or labor class position.
D. Persons who entered City service prior to September 1, 1986 through provisional appointment or appointment to non-competitive, exempt or labor class positions, who are subsequently appointed permanently to competitive class positions without a break in service, and who are currently serving in those positions in covered agencies, are not subject to the residence requirement upon such permanent appointment.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:27 PM

34 posts, read 77,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabesanitationguy View Post
You will have no problem with this, just fill out the forms and dont lie. they will still hire you.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:30 PM

34 posts, read 77,840 times
Default Residency Requirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFDNYEMS View Post
I don't have this problem being a NY resident all my life, but, I guess this might help some of you.

Residence Requirements

Residence Requirements

100-8
Subject: Residence Requirements
Source: Local Law Int. No. 625, dated June 26, 1986, which amends Sections 12-119, 12-120 and 12-121 of the Administrative Code; New York Public Officers Law, Section 3; Mayoral Directive 78-13, as amended July 26, 1978.
Supersedes: Personnel Policy and Procedure No. 540-86
Date: June 30, 1997

Policy
I. City Residence Requirements
A. Pursuant to Section 12-119 et seq. of the Administrative Code, any person who enters City service on or after September 1, 1986, shall be (1) a resident of The City of New York on the date that he or she enters City service or shall establish City residence within ninety days after such date and (2) shall thereafter maintain City residence as a condition of employment.
B. Pursuant to Mayoral Directive 78-13, residence within The City of New York shall be required as a condition of employment for persons who entered City service prior to September 1, 1986 and who are currently serving in or being appointed to provisional, non-competitive, exempt, seasonal, labor class, temporary or part-time positions, regardless of prior civil service status.
C. Persons who entered City service prior to September 1, 1986 through permanent appointment to competitive class positions which are now covered by the Residence Law, and who are currently serving in those positions in covered agencies, are not subject to the residence requirement. Upon promotion or appointment without a break in service to a new competitive class position such persons are also not subject to the residence requirement. They are, however, subject to the residence requirements of Mayoral Directive 78-13 upon receiving a provisional appointment or an appointment to a non-competitive, exempt or labor class position.
D. Persons who entered City service prior to September 1, 1986 through provisional appointment or appointment to non-competitive, exempt or labor class positions, who are subsequently appointed permanently to competitive class positions without a break in service, and who are currently serving in those positions in covered agencies, are not subject to the residence requirement upon such permanent appointment.
DSNY Requirements are different, you can live outside the city but you must stay in the state:
[SIZE=3][LEFT]Residency Requirement[/SIZE][SIZE=3]: The New York State Public Officers Law requires any person employed as a Sanitation Worker in the DSNY, to be a resident of the City of New York or of Nassau or Westchester Counties during the first five years of employment. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]After the first five years of employment and for subsequent duration
of employment, any person employed as a Sanitation Worker must be a resident of the City of New York or of[/LEFT]
Nassau, Westchester, Suffolk, Orange, Rockland or Putnam Counties.
[/SIZE]

Old 04-14-2008, 07:33 PM

26 posts, read 46,657 times
Default Shelf List Number

Does anyone know if there is a way to temporarily hold your spot if you are unable to take the position right now? I was called for the orientation session and plan on attending but I am in a contract job right now and may not be able to get out of the contract for a July or August class.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:35 PM

364 posts, read 739,209 times
Default Fiscal Year

The Fiscal year starts on July 1st, so right now they are trying to rush as many classes both supervior and san worker before that date. Noone knows what the future hiring needs will be until the city presents the Depts with their budgets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City