Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 08:23 PM

136 posts, read 267,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcofhb View Post
Anybody know how the pensions work for someone like me who will be 51 in July and #5** on the list. I cannot work 20 years; but would sure like a little someting.?
i work for the transit and i know that after 5 yrs you get a pension, not to much but its something and then more $ after 10, 15, and so on, i imagine dsny would be the same.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:20 PM

502 posts, read 1,009,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodz56 View Post
Sorry Didnt Know About Your Circumstances....i Think Final Processing Will Be Before Then. Its Two Weeks Away And If They Are Gonna Call This Week Itll Be Over By The 20th. If It Isnt Maybe You Can Tell Them Your Situation And They Can Have You Come Earlier (i Would Actually Go Down There In Person And Talk To Joe Piazza I Think He Would Understand And Get The Ball Rolling For U, It Would Be Worth The Try, But Like I Said We Should Be Done In Time For U To Go To Fl.)
Yeah, I'll see what happens....Thanks for the advice. By the way, his name is Joe DiPiazza, not Piazza, that's the baseball player.....lol........

Old 06-08-2008, 01:26 AM

136 posts, read 267,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsan View Post
yeah, I'll See What Happens....thanks For The Advice. By The Way, His Name Is Joe Dipiazza, Not Piazza, That's The Baseball Player.....lol........
What Can I Say Im A Die Hard Met Fan!!!

Old 06-08-2008, 05:52 AM

289 posts, read 746,120 times
Default Retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodz56 View Post
i work for the transit and i know that after 5 yrs you get a pension, not to much but its something and then more $ after 10, 15, and so on, i imagine dsny would be the same.

15 YEAR'S YOU CAN VEST OUT" RETIRE" AND THEN YOU WAIT TILL YOUR 20th YEAR AND YOUR PENSION WILL KICK IN .

Old 06-08-2008, 08:33 AM

193 posts, read 393,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcofhb View Post
Anybody know how the pensions work for someone like me who will be 51 in July and #5** on the list. I cannot work 20 years; but would sure like a little someting.?
If your like me, I hear you can buy back military time toward you pension which helps you collect earlier. I heard you can buy back three years (I thought they said five at pre-orientation) you just have to pay into the retirement fund for those years . But I believe it would be worth it. I'm also 51 and would like to put in 15 with 5 years buyt back to collect at the same time as social security which would be great.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:12 AM

364 posts, read 739,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe8 View Post
If your like me, I hear you can buy back military time toward you pension which helps you collect earlier. I heard you can buy back three years (I thought they said five at pre-orientation) you just have to pay into the retirement fund for those years . But I believe it would be worth it. I'm also 51 and would like to put in 15 with 5 years buyt back to collect at the same time as social security which would be great.
There are only specific conflicts and wars that allow you to buy back time. you also must be in that theater of opertaion not just be in the service. It takes years for new theaters of armed conflict to be added to that list. Hopefully your service time was during one of those. It is also only a max of three years.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:45 AM

142 posts, read 267,868 times
Hey guys I got a quick question. I'm going to FBF training tomorrow, are there places to get food or should I bring lunch? I thought I read somewhere that we should bring it because it will take a long time to go off of FBF and grab something. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Gman I'll see you tomorrow!!!!

Old 06-08-2008, 11:21 AM

257 posts, read 507,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKLYN_DSNY View Post
Hey guys I got a quick question. I'm going to FBF training tomorrow, are there places to get food or should I bring lunch? I thought I read somewhere that we should bring it because it will take a long time to go off of FBF and grab something. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
i brought my own food but theres a place in there that has food open during your lunch break aviator or avatar somthing like that and also theres a roach coach that comes during both breaks if your brave enough but hes not that dependable so its up to you... you get two breaks one at 830 i think to 915 and then i think it was 1130 to 1230... i just brought my own so i didnt have to worry about nething..... ohh and when you go out driving you go with them out to lunch... we went to nathens in coney island one day... before that i havent been there in years

Old 06-08-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKLYN_DSNY View Post
I know their is an aviators spoets club that has open cafiteria, it serves pizza, chicken and other food alond with sodas and such, their was no gut truck when i went on april 28th they said it didn't come anymore but when you go driving you eat out with your instructors wherever they stop, but you can also bring your own just remember to clean up!

Old 06-08-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Tuesdays View Post
There are only specific conflicts and wars that allow you to buy back time. you also must be in that theater of opertaion not just be in the service. It takes years for new theaters of armed conflict to be added to that list. Hopefully your service time was during one of those. It is also only a max of three years.

I,m retired from the Army I go as far back as being a Vietnam Era Veteran also Iraq. Guys I know said no problem buying back they did. I was just woundering about the amount, Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City