Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 09:34 AM

147 posts, read 299,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
I don't know if you have the same study guide as me,you can get one for free at any dmv office,you have to wait in line and when your next just ask for it and they give it to you over the counter. I did order online "How to prepare for the CDL" by Barrons last summer,it is a bigger book than the one from the dmv,has practice tests with the answer keys in the back and a glossary.

When you go the dmv office to take the test,bring the MV-44 form along with your drivers license,medical certificate(card),$10.00 for the tests,they have pencils there if you need one,you can't wear a hat inside the test room,no cell phones allowed either. They will take your photo before going inside the test room. They didn't ask me for any additonal id(ss card,etc).

Tests are multiple choice(A.B.C),the hardest is the general knowledge(50 questions,no more than 10 wrong to pass. No time limit but you have to get there(garden city dmv) before 12:00pm.M.T.W.F(10:00am-2:00pm).

Once you are done with the tests bring them up front,put them in a basket and go sit in the back,wait awhile until they call your name,they will tell you either you passed or failed,if you fail you have to come back another day,if you passed they will process the paperwork,they didn't give me an eye test at the dmv,maybe because my doctor gave it to me for the dot exam. You pay another $10.00 and they give you an interim permit,in about 2 weeks you get your cdl photo permit in the mail.

My advice is to try to sit towards the back in the test room,it is noisy up front,the dmv clerks yapping away at each other,very distracting,also if you fail the 1st time,they don't give you the answer sheet back. Good luck!
Thanks alot man.

Now I know obviously you have to take the General Knowledge test.Were the other 2 Tanker and Air brakes? Also the permit needs to be a class B without any restrictions, correct?

Old 01-22-2008, 10:10 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,186 times
Yes the other 2 written test were tank(20 questions) and air brakes(25 questions)no more than 5 wrong to pass airbrakes,no more than 4 wrong for tank. Basically you cant have any restrictions. If you dont get the Medical Exam done by your doc before the test, you can get it done after and just bring the certificate to the DMV and they'll remove the K restrictions, My permit says Class B, N endorsement and restrictions:NONE thats what you need when its all said and done to start the DSNY training.

Last edited by vantastic10; 01-22-2008 at 10:27 AM..

Old 01-22-2008, 11:47 AM

29 posts, read 85,678 times
Default stop lying

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckerman12 View Post
i got 78 rite without the protest.i know 7 guys in my garage that got a higher score. everyone else got in the low 70's to high 60's.
I know the wrecker man in 12 and he did not score a 79

Old 01-22-2008, 11:49 AM

Default Get your food stamps ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrus View Post
Welcome to the group. Im done worrying about when they are going to call us right now. I been makin myself waiting for an answer that no one officially knows, so whats the point? I just know that I'll be in the first round (list#135) and Im doing OK right now workin for Nassau County until Sani calls. If I wasnt employed right now, Id probly be goin nuts waiting for this sh*t tho. Patience is not a strong point over here.
Do not rush to get this job it sucks major for the first three or four years if you have a family you better hope your wife makes loot

Old 01-22-2008, 11:51 AM

Default do not spend that money in one place

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxguy View Post
When you dump two times, you get paid for a double dump which is 10 dollars.
Guess your treating at olive garden with that 33 dollars a week after taxes from those two dumps a day lmao you will not be able to walk in year 15 through 20

Old 01-22-2008, 11:53 AM

Default you would get an award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodz56 View Post
I Am In The 370's On The List And Will Get Called Soon, I Just Want To Know What Dsny Looks For On Your License Check.i Dont Have Any Points And Never Had A Moving Violation, But I Have A No Fault Accident In 2005 Where No Other Car Was Invlolved But Me. No Citations Were Issued For The Accident. Do You Think This Will Affect My Chances For Dsny?
one accident in your life would be an award in sanitation i know guys who get in five or six a year lol

Old 01-22-2008, 11:54 AM

Default weight limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodz56 View Post
Just Wondering About The Medical Qualifications For Dsny. I Have Slight High Blood Pressure But Was Hired For The Mta Last Year With It. Would That Affect Getting Hired By Dsny??
you can not be more than six hundred pounds to get this job

Old 01-22-2008, 11:56 AM

95 posts, read 210,875 times
I agree with you (uwonthelottery) but we have no choice but to do two loads in most bronx garages. What did you score on the supv. test and what did mostly everyone else score in your garage? thanks!

Old 01-22-2008, 12:24 PM

Default Just trying to get a smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxguy View Post
I agree with you (uwonthelottery) but we have no choice but to do two loads in most bronx garages. What did you score on the supv. test and what did mostly everyone else score in your garage? thanks!
I got 17 wrong so i do not know what that is i have ten years on the job so after the seniority added in probably around a 85 without protest questions five guys scored higher than me in my garage the rest were low seventys and fails I have worked in the bronx out of town many times, and I will never go back.......... My condolences to your back iknow its hard work.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:46 PM

95 posts, read 210,875 times
Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City