Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 08:44 AM

257 posts, read 507,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabz28ss View Post
One piece of advice I give to all you guys: Guys in your home garage will know your on probation so most if not all will watch out for you, but there will be times when you may work with an out-of-towner. Don't be afraid/ ashamed to let him/ her know your on prob. I say this b/c some have a way of working that may not be good for you while your on prob. Times when I told some I worked with, there where things they wanted to do, but didn't b/c o it. Just advice passed to me that I now pass to you.
thanks man thats a great piece of advice

Old 07-17-2008, 08:52 AM

Default S endorsement

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETIRED SANMAN View Post
TAKE THE WRITTEN TEST IT'S GOOD TO HAVE THE S ENDORSEMENT FOR YOUR OWN GOOD AND FUTURE,WHEN YOU RETIRE YOU CAN DRIVE A BUS IF YOU WHAT TO,IT'S WELL WORTH IT.
yea ur better off putting it on now cause if u want to do it later u need to take another road test school bus is the only one like that all the others you can just add on anytime.... i took both the P and S in the same day and passed em both first try... and i failed the N and general a couple of times so i was surprised i passed the first time.... but like he said its better off for you if u retire or this job doesnt work out for you you still have a NPS on your license you can drive a school bus when you retire and i herd they make a thousand a week that plus ur pension aint bad at all..... Anyway its just giving you more options and more ways to put money in your pocket.... im thinkin about finding a job driving a truck or somthing untill this sanitation thing works out cause its looking like im gunna have to wait till the next class just wish i knew when it was gunna be

Old 07-17-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
Thanks. Is it possible to take the test using a bus if I dont have the P endorsement and don't want it? Or do I have to have it just to use the bus for the test?
your best bet is to take both the P and S.... the P u definetly need and the S is just a bonus that u definitely "should" get... i took it with ferrari also im actually happier i took it on the school bus cause now i have two endorsement on my license that i wouldnt of had if i passed the first time wit DSNY and the bus isnt bad at all its like driving a big car all u got to do is be calm relax and let yourself know u know what ur doin besides if you can handle driving the bus down Steinway where no one follows any kind of traffic laws you'll be just fine

Old 07-17-2008, 09:11 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABE123 View Post
yea ur better off putting it on now cause if u want to do it later u need to take another road test school bus is the only one like that all the others you can just add on anytime.... i took both the P and S in the same day and passed em both first try... and i failed the N and general a couple of times so i was surprised i passed the first time.... but like he said its better off for you if u retire or this job doesnt work out for you you still have a NPS on your license you can drive a school bus when you retire and i herd they make a thousand a week that plus ur pension aint bad at all..... Anyway its just giving you more options and more ways to put money in your pocket.... im thinkin about finding a job driving a truck or somthing untill this sanitation thing works out cause its looking like im gunna have to wait till the next class just wish i knew when it was gunna be

In the begining you don't make much driving a school bus but once you get a steady route you are making very good money for working 20-25 hrs week. I failed the "S" written endorsement test the 1st time,but was told by my driving school instructor that I needed to get it.

I also have NPS endorsements on my CDL B. Gives you more options(truck,transit/coach bus/school bus). Problem is most companies want at least 2 yrs CDL driving experience before they hire you. Just look on Craigslist under jobs(transport).

Old 07-17-2008, 09:39 AM

72 posts, read 198,220 times
Don't want to burst anybody's bubble, but I just got off the phone with HR and told them I was #535 and wanted to know if they were still calling for the Aug. class. She said yes, but they WILL NOT get to me for August and they will not even reach 500. Sorry to be the bearer of such disappointing news.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:27 AM

208 posts, read 438,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETIRED SANMAN View Post
TAKE THE WRITTEN TEST IT'S GOOD TO HAVE THE S ENDORSEMENT FOR YOUR OWN GOOD AND FUTURE,WHEN YOU RETIRE YOU CAN DRIVE A BUS IF YOU WHAT TO,IT'S WELL WORTH IT.
Nah because you need a 19-A certification to drive school buses and I really have no inclination to deal with kids, a school bus is defined as driving children between school and home. Just because a bus is yellow doesn't mean you need an S endorsement. Besides, I'd much rather drive the Hampton Jitney or a limo after I retire.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:30 AM

208 posts, read 438,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanManHopeful View Post
Don't want to burst anybody's bubble, but I just got off the phone with HR and told them I was #535 and wanted to know if they were still calling for the Aug. class. She said yes, but they WILL NOT get to me for August and they will not even reach 500. Sorry to be the bearer of such disappointing news.
I had a feeling that was the case, too many people that weren't prepared for July are prepared for August. I guess I'll see you all in the spring...

Old 07-17-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
In the begining you don't make much driving a school bus but once you get a steady route you are making very good money for working 20-25 hrs week. I failed the "S" written endorsement test the 1st time,but was told by my driving school instructor that I needed to get it.

I also have NPS endorsements on my CDL B. Gives you more options(truck,transit/coach bus/school bus). Problem is most companies want at least 2 yrs CDL driving experience before they hire you. Just look on Craigslist under jobs(transport).
Van have u driven a school bus before? i dont think i would be able to put up with a bus full of little basterd devil kids....id be like chris farley in billy madison stealing all the lunches....... is everyone on good great grand NO YELLIN ON THE BUS

Old 07-17-2008, 11:33 AM

253 posts, read 540,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Charge View Post
I had a feeling that was the case, too many people that weren't prepared for July are prepared for August. I guess I'll see you all in the spring...

They still might have an october class......At least that will give us something to talk about on this thread..........

Old 07-17-2008, 11:35 AM

12 posts, read 35,226 times
I am sorry I know this was answered but I think this thread needs an Index.

How long were you July guys at the final processing? I need to flip my work schedule around on the 23rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City