Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 07:19 PM

93 posts, read 177,405 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if their is cdl training going on at fbf? I was on the Staten Island Expy and I saw a van with civilians heading east with the supivisor that took us for our road test heading back to FBF from Staten Island.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:20 PM

148 posts, read 268,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280 View Post
Well what I was told today was something I said before but just a little different. 2 of my co workers that have administration(sorry if i misspelled that) positions both told me there might not be another class till next year FALL -_-. That unless they can find some more money there wont be any classes soon. Like one of them told me, " I will be honest with you, you might have to wait till next fall because of the budget. But its better because I rather hire you later than hire you and have to lay you off. Unless we find some more money you might have to wait awhile"

Thats all.

Someone said something about lay offs acouple of posts before. I dont think they will lay off anyone. I think thats the main reason why they aren't creating anymore classes so they have money for those who went in.
Unless you want to look into that fact that the words " lay off" came up in my conversations and then assume maybe its being tossed around in meetings as an possible solution to saving money.
that sucks. if there is something that i've learned from the city it's that nothing is set in stone. they can come around next week and say they have the money all of a sudden. worst case scenario if dsny has to wait to get the money for next fiscal year,they might hire a lot of people to make up for the lost time and losses from retiring sanmen

Old 08-19-2008, 07:22 PM

231 posts, read 466,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKLYN_DSNY View Post
To tell you the truth I'd rather wait till next year. If I get on now and laid off in two months I'm screwed. So maybe its a blessing that we wait. I'm sure I'm not the only one with a house and a family.
Honestly, you would make more on unemployment than you would take home with DSNY in the first 6 months of the job. It would be better to just get into their system as soon as possible. They would rehire layoffs before any other class. If you could get an off the books job while collecting, you would be be doing way better than what you would get here to start with.
A second job is tough in the beginning, b/c your shifts get bounce all around and you don't know it until the day before.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:25 PM

473 posts, read 932,113 times
Did any of the July guys get an Express Scripts card in the mail???? From what I am understanding this card is seperate from our regular prescription plan and this is to be used to cover drugs that are listed on it???

Old 08-19-2008, 07:26 PM

300 posts, read 659,310 times
Yes there was CDL training going on this week , but it was not for potential sanitation workers , it was the DOT training some of it's guys for CDLs ...

Old 08-19-2008, 08:11 PM

502 posts, read 1,009,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanman04 View Post
do you also work at the home depot?
Do you mean that literally, or is that some kind of a joke?

Old 08-19-2008, 08:17 PM

502 posts, read 1,009,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAPES24 View Post
Did any of the July guys get an Express Scripts card in the mail???? From what I am understanding this card is seperate from our regular prescription plan and this is to be used to cover drugs that are listed on it???
I did. It's good only for chemotherapy and injectable meds......I called. The other two, asthma and pschotropic aren't covered anymore.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:49 PM

191 posts, read 873,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Tuesdays View Post
I worked downtown for 9/11 that was my garage at the time. Our garage was used as a dropoff point for donations. ie food clothing socks boots underwear evrything you can think off. Ion more than a few occasions witnessed people taking 4 0r 5 pairs of boots socks cases of gatorade you name it they took it. It almost came to fisticuffs more than once lol I know off people who went to family day with empty coolers in order to stock the cooler on the way out. Like I said boys get used to it, because its only going to get worse. Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!!!!lol
turkey,were you working on the morning of 9/11?dsny trucks/men were used to guard certain buildings on the days following ,correct?what role did the dsny play on that first day?what was the story of your garage or any other guys who were otj at the time?

Old 08-20-2008, 07:23 AM

364 posts, read 739,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage time View Post
turkey,were you working on the morning of 9/11?dsny trucks/men were used to guard certain buildings on the days following ,correct?what role did the dsny play on that first day?what was the story of your garage or any other guys who were otj at the time?
I was in Brooklyn out of town that day, but as soon as it happened we were allowed to go back to our district and help out. There was really nothing you could do that first night. Noone knew what was going on. We were actually used before 9-11 on blockade duty (sittting in a cutdown loaded with sand) at courthouses around the city, but after were used at more installations.lol better the garabage man and truck get blown up then someone important. DSNY role was little in the days after, they played a part later trucking out debris and logistical support at fresh kills where the sifting was going on. Most of the guys who signed on for that detail signed on for the money and cared less about what happened they wanted to work 7 days a week and get ot. Like I said different types work for this department. Many used it for free food and stuff. Then again there were a few who I am sure truly cared about what happened, and did it out of care and concern for others.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:11 AM

95 posts, read 210,882 times
Hey Turkey. Any info on when another Supv. class is going in and how many they plan on promoting over the next year or two..........Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City