Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 03:33 PM

876 posts, read 2,141,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwolf View Post
the z monster attacks the front row yet again. another person was caught sleeping in class today in front of the representative from the clinic. Another guy is caught using his cellphone in class. this is only week two, and we lost one guy already i hope we dont lose anymore. If the guy next to you is dozing off, just nudge him its that simple. On the plus side we get to work nights now. (extra pay yeah)
What did he do? Why was he fired?

Old 08-21-2008, 03:46 PM

148 posts, read 268,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
What did he do? Why was he fired?
i don't know exactly, but i heard he got hurt.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:54 PM

246 posts, read 593,033 times
Quote:
People on this board are not honest when it comes to this job and more classes. We do not need more workers and in fact we have too many. We need people to retire. With the budget problems facing the city dont expect another class for at least a couple of years.
If people thought we had to many guys now wait until oct ,nov when there are less trucks and less guys on vacation.My garage is over big time now I cant only imagine how many we are going to be over then .I also found out to day there will be No leaf trucks this year .That on top of them cutting sunday basket trucks means even less money to be made.Boy it better snow this year

Old 08-21-2008, 04:06 PM

876 posts, read 2,141,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offwing View Post
If people thought we had to many guys now wait until oct ,nov when there are less trucks and less guys on vacation.My garage is over big time now I cant only imagine how many we are going to be over then .I also found out to day there will be No leaf trucks this year .That on top of them cutting sunday basket trucks means even less money to be made.Boy it better snow this year
What do they do with the guys that are over? Do they have mlp in your district or they go out of town? Any chance of them stop running and dumping or there is a better chance of snow in august

Old 08-21-2008, 04:17 PM

656 posts, read 1,411,922 times
Quote:
What do they do with the guys that are over? Do they have mlp in your district or they go out of town? Any chance of them stop running and dumping or there is a better chance of snow in august
I know I have only 6 weeks on this job but in bronx 1, we usually have extra guys. Extra guys are usually assigned mlp. A few days ago we had 4 extra guys...1 was out of town from a broom garage. All of them did mlp. Sometimes you get lucky. Last week I got sent to bronx 12 and was expecting to do mlp...instead I did a collection route. Also, bronx 1 runs and dumps but I don't see that changing ever for this garage or any in the west side of the bronx. However, the south bronx is dirty and needs mlp so I guess we are not really "extra." Trust me there is no shortage of mlp in this area, seems like one day we clean a few lines and the next day it looks the same as if we didn't clean anything. We also always have a 1/2 MLP detail. (half collection route and half mlp)

Old 08-21-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
They will put out a couple of MLP trucks put out extra Brooms and send guys out of town .We don't run and dump we are out all day if we dump then there will be nothing for the relay men to do and we run about 16 relay men a nite .

Old 08-21-2008, 04:36 PM

108 posts, read 271,973 times
Hey..Did everyone enjoy there Hot Water

Old 08-21-2008, 04:37 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,058,395 times
What was the reasoning for overhiring during the last exam? Roughly how many people is DSNY over? a few hundred? 1,000+?

What are lines?

Old 08-21-2008, 04:41 PM

364 posts, read 738,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekuai View Post
geeze, you might as well tell these guys there is no Santa clause either!
Originally Posted by RideThe Step
Things to do to avoid getting banged...Let's see first up get to work on time and make sure you know what shift you're on. Be in proper uniform and ready to work at roll call. If you don't understand what a boss is telling you ask questions to make sure you understand clearly. Watch your break times especially if on MLP. On collection stay on one side of the street,don't put the truck on a sidewalk or the wrong side of a street. Don't wave people or vehicles to go past or in front of you. When off the route always keep your seatbelt on. Keep personal things to yourself. Avoid anything that looks wrong to you. This includes alcohol,gambling,leaving your garage before your shift is done. If you need to pick up lunch during break let someone know this,garage supervisor,supers clerk, shop steward. Make sure you let whoever you work with you are on probation, many will help you avoid trouble. Your objective is to get thru probation and secure the job.Learn to mind your own business.Sticking your nose where it don't belong will make you sorry. Never forget that everyone around you at work was in your shoes at one time. The Chief, the super the shop steward all had to get thru probation. Most will take this into account if they see you honestly trying to do your job and avoid trouble.Remember it takes time on the job,for most people, before you get choice assignments.Being low man in seniority means bouncing shifts and catching lousy jobs. That's the price one pays at the bottom. The good thing is you can only move up. Hope my rambling helps. Good luck. Stay safe.
and I am sad to say there is no such thing as Santa Claus Too late I already did sometime back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 08-21-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
What was the reasoning for overhiring during the last exam? Roughly how many people is DSNY over? a few hundred? 1,000+?

What are lines?
I'm the back up supers clerk in my garage and I remember one day the first week of June the City was over 536 guys .Trust me thats alot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.