Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 08:44 PM

136 posts, read 293,351 times

Advertisements

i forgive u pipes

Old 09-09-2008, 08:44 PM

289 posts, read 744,420 times
Default Getting yourself fired from a great job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipez View Post
whats going on everyone.. Yes we did hear they're looking into trying to up our contract because of the PD contract...
Some kid from my garage was canned today... the supv. said something about going AWOL on his probation .. He only had a month or so left to for his probation ... it sucks...
HE DID IT TO HIMSELF,GUY'S I'VE SAID IT BEFORE GET TO WORK AND BE ON TIME DO NOT DO DRUG'S AND WATCH YOUR OFF DUTY DRINKING.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:14 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,041,730 times
Default Sorry if the link didn't let you read the whole article before.

Sanman Canned Over Bribe; Improperly Removed Trade Waste
By TOMMY HALLISSEY
Sanitation Commissioner John J. Doherty has terminated a Sanitation Worker who took a gratuity for collecting at least 27 bags of construction debris from a residential building undergoing repairs.
Peter Iannello was found guilty by an Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings Judge of collecting trade waste from a residence in Queens in November 2006 and accepting a $40 gratuity from the property-owner. He violated a trade waste order, an anti-corruption order and a gratuity order.

On Nov. 22, 2006, Mr. Iannello, who was on the job a year and a half at the time, worked the 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. shift in Queens with a partner, S. Kocan, whom he had never worked with before.
At about 10 a.m., Deputy Chief William Glynn received an anonymous phone call that stated Sanitation Workers picked up 30 to 40 bags of construction materials from a property on 128th St. and received payment. Within 20 minutes, a Chief of the Field Investigative Audit Team instructed Mr. Glynn to detain Mr. Iannello's truck, secure it and bring it back to the garage for investigation.

The Sanitation Department sent a Superintendent identified in the OATH ruling only as Burge to the 128th St. property to videotape observations. The Superintendent also interviewed a man at the house, who denied he was either the owner or the contractor.

Back at the garage, 27 black bags of garbage were dumped from the truck, which the Superintendent said were consistent with other garbage bags he had seen outside at the house in Queens. Superintendent Burge went back to the house to interview the owner, who admitted stuffing $40 into the hands of a Sanitation Worker who he said was reluctant to accept it. The Sanitation Department entered a videotape of that conversation, which did not identify the worker, into evidence.
The Superintendent interviewed Mr. Iannello and his partner individually. Mr. Iannello first denied picking up 27 bags at that location, but later recanted. He denied taking any money. Mr. Iannello's partner corroborated his story.

OATH found that Sanitation Workers occasionally collect trade waste in an effort to satisfy the department's mandate that the route must be clean, and other times are not able to distinguish between commercial and household garbage. However, Sanitation officials said it was easy to tell apart the two types of garbage.

Mr. Iannello testified he was approached by a woman who offered money to take extra garbage. He said he refused the cash, but took the garbage anyway. He said he removed some bags and thought his partner took others. Mr. Iannello testified that Mr. Kocan said, "[w]hatever happens, I'll take full responsibility." He said he neglected to report the gratuity offer earlier because he was afraid of repercussions.

Administrative Law Judge Ingrid M. Addison stated in her decision that Mr. Iannello's testimony was unpersuasive and contradicted his recorded interview. She also discounted his claim that he was unable to determine whether the bags contained construction debris because of the testimony of former Sanitation Workers.

"[Mr. Iannello's] claim is further undermined by his admission that the homeowner approached him, announced that she had extra garbage and offered him money," Ms. Addison wrote in her decision. "The chances of her offer being anything other than a quid pro quo were remote. Therefore, I find his assertion that he did not know what the bags contained to be disingenuous."

Old 09-10-2008, 10:03 AM

21 posts, read 48,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETIRED SANMAN View Post
HE DID IT TO HIMSELF,GUY'S I'VE SAID IT BEFORE GET TO WORK AND BE ON TIME DO NOT DO DRUG'S AND WATCH YOUR OFF DUTY DRINKING.
Hate seeing this stuff happen to guys....some of these guys have mouths to feed at home. Anyone can get a job...but a san man job is not easy to come by. While you guys physically work hard...it's also about working hard to protect your interests and to protect your position. Who wants to go home and tell their wives that they were canned for not showing up???? or for helping throw out someones construction garbage???

Veterans...maybe this isn't post material...but what happens if you are a probie and someone (a vet san man) puts you in a bad position like this?

Old 09-10-2008, 10:43 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,041,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk419 View Post
Hate seeing this stuff happen to guys....some of these guys have mouths to feed at home. Anyone can get a job...but a san man job is not easy to come by. While you guys physically work hard...it's also about working hard to protect your interests and to protect your position. Who wants to go home and tell their wives that they were canned for not showing up???? or for helping throw out someones construction garbage???

Veterans...maybe this isn't post material...but what happens if you are a probie and someone (a vet san man) puts you in a bad position like this?
That is a very important question,they should know that you are on probation to begin with. It has been mentioned before that you should talk to your shop steward about it. Nobody likes a rat but you have to cover your own a**. It has been said in here that only you can get yourself fired.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:48 PM

253 posts, read 538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyGarbage View Post
Don't know how true it is, but I heard rumor there may be a class goin in Nov. any1 here the same??
Wow November.... I didnt think they had classes that far out

Old 09-10-2008, 01:55 PM

163 posts, read 327,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7xxSanitList View Post
Wow November.... I didnt think they had classes that far out
I am from a november class if that helps you feel any better.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:33 PM

71 posts, read 129,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vituccio13 View Post
i got my transfer to bK 7...thank god
Hey Congrats Vito. Good to hear.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman1221 View Post
i am from a november class if that helps you feel any better.

same here 11-07

Old 09-10-2008, 02:42 PM

257 posts, read 506,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyGarbage View Post
same here 11-07
hey man so u heard that in ur garage i guess......any rumor about a new class is a good one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City