Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 06:36 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbysgirl23 View Post
http://www.thechief-leader.com/news/2007/0112/news/012.html

About your above story, Looked it up online. Apparently people were disciplined for failing to notify the family about what happened and he was also misdiagnosed by the hospital. Dangerous job.
Good find Bobbysgirl23,I missed that article. So he was thrown from the cab and not from the step which is what I had assumed at first. I thought they had some kind of straps on the sides of the cab when the doors are open.

Just recently I saw a sanman hanging on from the hopper,the driver can't see you to say the least,I figured they burned the steps off that truck. Most of these accidents are preventable though.

Once again DSNY doesn't get the respect that they deserve regarding LOD Benefits. You need to have a good life insurance policy as well as disability insurance.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:18 PM

53 posts, read 103,607 times
You have to register for the next fdny exam in jan 2011 before you turn 29. You must not have turned 29 by the beginning of filing period

Old 12-16-2008, 01:06 PM

656 posts, read 1,412,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Good find Bobbysgirl23,I missed that article. So he was thrown from the cab and not from the step which is what I had assumed at first. I thought they had some kind of straps on the sides of the cab when the doors are open.

Just recently I saw a sanman hanging on from the hopper,the driver can't see you to say the least,I figured they burned the steps off that truck. Most of these accidents are preventable though.

Once again DSNY doesn't get the respect that they deserve regarding LOD Benefits. You need to have a good life insurance policy as well as disability insurance.
all trucks have an orange belt on the sides of the cab. it works like a seatbelt...it only works when you have it buckled. When you are on your route, you are not required to have either belt buckled.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:19 PM

18 posts, read 36,035 times
All right guys and gals, I have been following this site since april, i retired 21 yrs ago, now living in Florida. my son is on the new list and they stopped 9 numbers away from his his #. he had his own busines and folded it for lack of work and lost his apartment. he wants to leave NY and come down to florida for a while and work down here. are there any ideas on how he can go back in the spring or summer and get situated again as far as an address. How long must you be a resident to be eligable?? he is keeping his phone number and will be able to get a call from DSNY if it comes. This site is verty informative. When i took the test back in 1965, I had a good job working for the airlines at Kennedy and totally forgot about taking the test. I was laid off 2 years later and took another airline job in the city (which I hated) and within 2 weeks i was called by the DSNY. there was no stress about worrying about all the stuff you guys are worrying about. The city trained us on the trucks and we got the test through the city for free. How things have changed. I will appreciate any help you can give me. REMEMBER, RUNNING wears down your body and you won't feel it until much later in life, plus there is a safety issue, you get careless when you run.. Enjoy your career.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:05 PM

12 posts, read 24,935 times
Default I got a strange phonecall

Got a strange phone call a few days ago. Woman with a heavy accent, asking me to go in and take a urinalysis for the Dept of Sanitation. I could barely understand her.

I told her I would be available whenever needed, and ask her to hold on while i grab a pen and paper. A few seconds later, she hangs up.

This set off alarm bells ringing in my head.

My question to all you people in the know is, does the DCAS send notification via the mail for your medical and urine examination? I took and passed my agility physical a little over a month ago, and my list # is a long ways off from being called (low 6000's). Does DCAS only go through with the medical and urine analysis if you're about to enter one of the new classes?

Thanks again guys, this post always comes through.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:11 PM

208 posts, read 438,616 times
They tell u at pre orientation when to goto the clinic for medical, although most of us are probably gonna have to go again because its been more than 6 months since we last had ours.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekuai View Post
all trucks have an orange belt on the sides of the cab. it works like a seatbelt...it only works when you have it buckled. When you are on your route, you are not required to have either belt buckled.
Thanks Steve. But on relays to NJ you have to wear your seat belt I assume. Do the trucks have airbags?

Old 12-16-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanman77 View Post
Got a strange phone call a few days ago. Woman with a heavy accent, asking me to go in and take a urinalysis for the Dept of Sanitation. I could barely understand her.

I told her I would be available whenever needed, and ask her to hold on while i grab a pen and paper. A few seconds later, she hangs up.

This set off alarm bells ringing in my head.

My question to all you people in the know is, does the DCAS send notification via the mail for your medical and urine examination? I took and passed my agility physical a little over a month ago, and my list # is a long ways off from being called (low 6000's). Does DCAS only go through with the medical and urine analysis if you're about to enter one of the new classes?

Thanks again guys, this post always comes through.
Do you have caller ID if she called your landline number? I am in round 2 like you and I haven't got a phone call and if I did I would be very suspicious as well. Makes you wonder what DCAS does with all of our personal info....

Old 12-16-2008, 06:22 PM

176 posts, read 374,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Thanks Steve. But on relays to NJ you have to wear your seat belt I assume. Do the trucks have airbags?

No airbags

Old 12-16-2008, 06:23 PM

176 posts, read 374,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norunner67 View Post
All right guys and gals, I have been following this site since april, i retired 21 yrs ago, now living in Florida. my son is on the new list and they stopped 9 numbers away from his his #. he had his own busines and folded it for lack of work and lost his apartment. he wants to leave NY and come down to florida for a while and work down here. are there any ideas on how he can go back in the spring or summer and get situated again as far as an address. How long must you be a resident to be eligable?? he is keeping his phone number and will be able to get a call from DSNY if it comes. This site is verty informative. When i took the test back in 1965, I had a good job working for the airlines at Kennedy and totally forgot about taking the test. I was laid off 2 years later and took another airline job in the city (which I hated) and within 2 weeks i was called by the DSNY. there was no stress about worrying about all the stuff you guys are worrying about. The city trained us on the trucks and we got the test through the city for free. How things have changed. I will appreciate any help you can give me. REMEMBER, RUNNING wears down your body and you won't feel it until much later in life, plus there is a safety issue, you get careless when you run.. Enjoy your career.
It may be best for him to keep a NY address b/c sometimes they may send out a pre- orient. letter w/o even calling sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City